Zumaya Injured?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Tigers say they still have no official word on Joel Zumaya's injury, but it doesn't look good at all. Zumaya is headed for the disabled list, and his stay there will likely be measured in months rather than weeks.

Zumaya was warming up in the bullpen in the eighth inning tonight. Bullpen coach Jeff Jones said he shook his middle finger after throwing a breaking ball, but that he said he was fine. Then Zumaya threw a fastball.

``He looked at me and said, `I think I dislocated my finger,' '' Jones said.

Link

Because Liriano and Felix are injured by what makes them amazing.

The greatest pitchers, IMO, the greatest sustainable pitchers will always be guys with filthy changeups and damn good fastballs with a few other plus pitches as well. Think Pedro, or Maddux.

Rotoworld:

Tigers placed RHP Joel Zumaya on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 2, with an injury to his right knuckle.

The Tigers wasted no time at all here. The assumption is that Zumaya has a dislocated knuckle. If so, he figures to miss at least a month. The bigger problem would be if he also tore a ligament in the process. That might double or triple the length of his absence.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 5, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)

The greatest pitchers, IMO, the greatest sustainable pitchers will always be guys with filthy changeups and damn good fastballs with a few other plus pitches as well. Think Pedro, or Maddux.

I would think Maddux more than Pedro in the sustainable department. Pedro has had some injury issues for the past couple of years

why does it seem like all of the up and coming amazing pitchers are getting injured.

liriano

king felix

now zumaya

It is amazing going back to Wood and Prior also!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 6, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
I would think Maddux more than Pedro in the sustainable department. Pedro has had some injury issues for the past couple of years

Good catch, but I was just using Pedro as an example in the stuff department although that's not necessarily a fine one either as he had so many K pitches.

But I think you know what I meant.

Also have to include Glavine on that list...and Smoltz has been remarkably durable, although he too has had some health-related question marks surrounding him the last five years

Clemens' run for 20+ years is going to be something that's looked at in amazement 10-20 years in the future with all of these young pitchers breaking down

It's also another feather in the cap of why Buehrle will be so valuable down the line. Heck, Barry Zito's curveball is so violent that it has knocked 3-4 MPH off his fastball. That's one concern going forward with Gio, but not until he's racked up 1000-1500 innings I would guess.

Yeah, Pedro's never injured

Finger surgery to sideline Tigers' Zumaya 12 weeks

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya is expected to be out for 12 weeks because of a ruptured tendon in his middle right finger.Zumaya, who regularly throws fastballs at over 100 mph, hurt himself while warming up Saturday night at Kansas City. He was examined Monday in New York by Dr. Charles Melone, who was scheduled to perform surgery Thursday.

After he was injured, Zumaya said he felt a "shocking pain" because of the injury.

"I thought maybe my knuckle cracked," he said Saturday. "I went to a curveball and I couldn't even grip the ball. I threw another fastball and it popped again, and a sharp pain ran through my finger. I called down and said, 'I need a trainer quick.'"

Zumaya is a key member of a strong bullpen that helped Detroit win the AL pennant last season. He is 1-1 with a 3.63 ERA this season, striking out 17 in 17 1/3 innings.

Right-hander Aquilino Lopez was called up when Zumaya went on the disabled list. Righty Jose Mesa will likely pitch more with Zumaya out, and Fernando Rodney and Todd Jones will close out games.

3 months...Wow, this hurts their pen.

Can't say I am too broken up.

Story

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 6, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
Was he trying to throw a splitter? Does he have a splitter? That is the only way I think you could dislocate your knuckle.

It must be directly related to the force at which he's whipping that fastball up there. How many other test cases do we have for people regularly throwing 102?

Wow, he won't be back until mid August, and who knows how effective he will be at that point.

The Tigers just got done with their easiest scheduled month (also easiest in the entire MLB), and they will have to go the next 3 months without the top arm in their bullpen.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 6, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
Guitar hero?

Its possible

We bought Guitar Hero 1 and 2 a little over a month ago and I have been playing non stop

Sometimes my wrist and back are killing me but I just cant stop.. also a couple days ago my foot hurt so bad I could barely walk, I think it was from standing there playing for so long.. it felt like it was broken it hurt so bad

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 8, 2007 -> 03:46 AM)
I think its because these guys are being babied in the minors, than get to the majors and arm isnt ready for it.

That's the opposite of what happened to Kerry Wood.

How'd that work out?