Clemens back to the Yankees

santo=dorf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iam glad hes coming back.It really gets me emotional to see him pitch for a team one last time.In the same rotation as his good friend Andy.And oh the sacrifice his family has made by letting daddy pitch on the road again.And for him to go a team that is in last place,he obviously must really love the game to come back.

He's basically going to get over $1M a start, which is well just insane.

I think he'll do better than most people predict however because I think he's still a pretty good SP, and the NL to AL effect is a tad overblown IMHO.

I wonder now, if anyone has the figures, how much are the Yanks paying every starting pitcher they have (including Pavano), and how much bigger is that amount compared to the next highest team?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 6, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
He's basically going to get over $1M a start, which is well just insane.

I think he'll do better than most people predict however because I think he's still a pretty good SP, and the NL to AL effect is a tad overblown IMHO.

I wonder now, if anyone has the figures, how much are the Yanks paying every starting pitcher they have (including Pavano), and how much bigger is that amount compared to the next highest team?

Look at him and Pettitte when they switched from the AL to the NL and tell me it's overblown.

The difference between the AL and NL is pitching to Russ Ortiz and David Ortiz. It's pitching to guys who take pitches and pitching to guys who are light-hitters and pitchers.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 6, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)

I basically agree, but he'll also be starting sooner, which could wear him down some.

During the ESPN game, they were saying the Carmines were only offering $18 mil prorated, and over a shorter schedule? I'm surprised by that a bit -- just the pr value of his return to Boston would seem to be huge.

And this in a nutshell is why the rest of the world hates the New York Yankees. Everyone else has injury problems and they either dip into the minors or make a trade. The Yankees have injury problems and they spend $5 million A MONTH for a another pitcher.

QUOTE(shipps @ May 6, 2007 -> 08:10 PM)
Iam glad hes coming back.It really gets me emotional to see him pitch for a team one last time.In the same rotation as his good friend Andy.And oh the sacrifice his family has made by letting daddy pitch on the road again.And for him to go a team that is in last place,he obviously must really love the game to come back.

fixed that for you

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 6, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
The last time the Sox played against a Yankee Clemens was fun.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NY...200308260.shtml

Danny Wright beat him on my birthday in 2002 in Yankee Stadium something like 8-1. Jeff Liefer took the Rocket halfway up the 3rd deck in RF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(fathom @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:39 AM)
Wasn't Clemens facing the Sox in that game with the infamous Foulke blow-up/Giambi bomb?

Yup. I broke my bedroom door after he gave up that bomb. 6 runs in the 9th, wasn't it?

Buehrle totally outpitched Clemens that game.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 6, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
I think the Rocket will get lit up in the AL at this point.

My thoughts seem to mirror yours. My pops and I were on the way back from a road trip when this was announced last night, and i told him Clemens will be lucky to have an ERA under 4.50 in the AL East after feasting on the NL Central the last few years.

I hope he gets destroyed.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
Danny Wright beat him on my birthday in 2002 in Yankee Stadium something like 8-1. Jeff Liefer took the Rocket halfway up the 3rd deck in RF.

I still remember the moon shot from Liefer as well. Was probably one of the best home runs I have ever seen. He absolutely crushed that thing.

Suzyn Waldman nearly kills everyone listening to her scratchy voice.

OMG, this lady makes Ron Santo, sound like one of the 4 Tenors. Her voice is enough to wake up the dead, never mind her yelling like a child when Roger shows up in the box.

They played this on the Boers and Berstein show, and I had to find it.

suzyn%20waldman.jpg