Possible theory about BA/Guillen feud

caulfield12

I heard from a very good White Sox fan that BA was out for a night on the town with at least one of Guillen's kids on a road trip and got him into a very "interesting" situation when he was supposed to be looking out for him.

As with the Contreras is getting divorced rumor, take it with a grain of salt.

This person is usually very credible. And it makes sense I suppose.

I don't dislike BA. From a fan standpoint, I don't want to see him fulfill his promise with another organization. To tell the truth, it looks like Fields and Anderson are beginning to look like two more first round busts, and we don't need another pair to add to our embarassing draft history since the late 80's/early 90's under Himes.

If he never plays with the White Sox again, and most believe this to be a 50/50 proposition, then we're not going to get anywhere close to his "highest" value in trade...it will be one of those change of scenery moves like taking Gavin Floyd off the hands of the Philllies.

Well, it worked with Thornton for Borchard, so you never can tell, but I'm not sure we can so easily come up with a legit starting CFer off the scrap heap like that.

Me and friends used to see some of the Gullien kids out with Freddy at the bars and playing pool last year. Plus I have seen Bmac and Anderson hanging out in Lincoln Park last summer as well. I know young guys go out and do what young guys do, Im one of them. As for BA to look out for the gullien boys I dont buy it. They are probably more popular and more social in this town than BA or anyone sox player so why would BA, a young party guy, be assigned to babysit them. You would think if they went together it would cuz they wanna party together not one watching out for the other, and isn't Ozzie's oldest like the same age as BA anyway?

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 6, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
Me and friends used to see some of the Gullien kids out with Freddy at the bars and playing pool last year. Plus I have seen Bmac and Anderson hanging out in Lincoln Park last summer as well. I know young guys go out and do what young guys do, Im one of them. As for BA to look out for the gullien boys I dont buy it. They are probably more popular and more social in this town than BA or anyone sox player so why would BA, a young party guy, be assigned to babysit them. You would think if they went together it would cuz they wanna party together not one watching out for the other, and isn't Ozzie's oldest like the same age as BA anyway?

Or maybe he got them in trouble when he was with them, and Ozzie had to bail them out?

I'm not sure, and KW has perfectly plausible explanations for trading McCarthy...but you never know what's going on behind the scenes.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 6, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
I heard from a very good White Sox fan that BA was out for a night on the town with at least one of Guillen's kids on a road trip and got him into a very "interesting" situation when he was supposed to be looking out for him.

The first thing I think of is a particular fight. Maybe one of Gullien's kids got into it with someone(s) and BA didn't eigher back him up, or didn't do anything to prevent it/break it up/whatever. At any case we don't know what's behind closed doors but there has to be a reason that we do not know about. That's evident.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 6, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
The first thing I think of is a particular fight. Maybe one of Gullien's kids got into it with someone(s) and BA didn't eigher back him up, or didn't do anything to prevent it/break it up/whatever. At any case we don't know what's behind closed doors but there has to be a reason that we do not know about. That's evident.

He probably tried to defend him with a baseball bat, but obviously that isn't the right weapon for Brian.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 6, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
I think Oz got sick of BA's anemic at bats and horrific batting

stance and swing at the ball.

Good fielder, tho.

I really don't think that's the case, because Ozzie would have never played Timo if that had been the case.

Or it could be the fact from an offensive standpoint, he quite possibly had the worse swing of any position player in all of baseball.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 6, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
I really don't think that's the case, because Ozzie would have never played Timo if that had been the case.

Timo may not have been good, but he had a role and was decent at it. I also didn't think he had a horrid swing. Albeit, he played way too much but I thought he had some valuable assets as a 25th man (obviously he should have never been a DH or gotten many starts, but he was a very smart player whose craftyniss came in handy at times).

It is tough to keep "interesting" situations out of the media nowadays. I would be somewhat surprised if something happened that p*ssed Ozzie off that badly, and it didnt hit the papers or airwaves in some form or another. Somebody always sees something.

I think BA's arrogance/confidence would grate on anyone if the performance isnt there to back it up.

We all know that BA needs constant ABs right now, and he is in the best place for that. Sweeney very well may take an open OF spot if he continues to show the moxie and signs of improvement, and I actually think that Ozzie would be open to letting Sweeney take the job from Pods because he likes Sweeney so much, provided Erstad continues to be a decent leadoff hitter. If Erstad starts to tail off, Pods will be back in the lineup as soon as he gets back, even if Sweeney is smoking the ball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 7, 2007 -> 08:01 AM)
My theory:

BA couldnt hit at the big league level with his new swing so they sent him down to get more at bats.

Looked like his "old" (April/May 2006) swing to me....what's the difference?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 7, 2007 -> 07:46 AM)
It is tough to keep "interesting" situations out of the media nowadays. I would be somewhat surprised if something happened that p*ssed Ozzie off that badly, and it didnt hit the papers or airwaves in some form or another. Somebody always sees something.

I think BA's arrogance/confidence would grate on anyone if the performance isnt there to back it up.

We all know that BA needs constant ABs right now, and he is in the best place for that. Sweeney very well may take an open OF spot if he continues to show the moxie and signs of improvement, and I actually think that Ozzie would be open to letting Sweeney take the job from Pods because he likes Sweeney so much, provided Erstad continues to be a decent leadoff hitter. If Erstad starts to tail off, Pods will be back in the lineup as soon as he gets back, even if Sweeney is smoking the ball.

I think he's willing to play Sweeney in CF and Pods in LF if Erstad tails off like Lofton did in 2002. However, Sweeney in CF is obviously not the long-term solution, he needs to be on one of the corners to maximize his contribution defensively.

Some also think that Erstad will get injured again b4 the end of the season.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Looked like his "old" (April/May 2006) swing to me....what's the difference?

When I see BA going good with his swing (which really hasnt been very often), he drastically reduces the hitch in his swing. He holds his hands really low(at or below the numbers) when he is going bad, and when the ball leaves the pitchers hand he brings them up in a cocking action and unloads on the ball. Because of this unnecassary action in his swing, he is very susceptable to breaking balls of any kind, and moreso down and away breaking balls. Crede used to have this problem early in his ML career, and now he holds his hands up high, which gives him more time to wait on breaking balls if he is expecting a fastball. Right now BA has to be predicting the pitch almost 100 percent correct to have any success hitting it.

Im no batting coach, but this is what I see as the problem in BA's swing. Feel free to tear it up or agree with it. :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 7, 2007 -> 12:28 AM)
Or it could be the fact from an offensive standpoint, he quite possibly had the worse swing of any position player in all of baseball.

Timo may not have been good, but he had a role and was decent at it. I also didn't think he had a horrid swing. Albeit, he played way too much but I thought he had some valuable assets as a 25th man (obviously he should have never been a DH or gotten many starts, but he was a very smart player whose craftyniss came in handy at times).

I'll go ahead and say it -- Timo Perez right now is a better hitter than Brian Anderson. And it's not close. Anderson was hands down the worst hitter I saw in the AL this season. Gustauvo Molina's swing looks better.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 6, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)

You'll know this to be the case when BA gets traded for one Player to be named later and a pepperoni pizza.

I don't really care about the feud... I care about BA's inability to have a high BA.

I do agree, if any of the Guillen clan got in trouble in the city, it would have made front page news in both the Trib and Sun Times.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 7, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
My theory:

BA couldnt hit at the big league level with his new swing so they sent him down to get more at bats.

I was going to post my theory, but it's the same as your theory so I'll ditto this.

Plus I like your avatar :D

I doubt the story is true, but I will speculate. If my kids were out with one of my co workers and they encouraged my kids to do something unethical, immoral, etc. I'd have a little problem with that.

BTW, it is a theory, it's possibly true. Not all theories are correct.