The cause of an earache

Kyyle23

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/spiderboy.ap/index.html

ALBANY, Oregon (AP) -- These guys were not exactly Snap, Crackle and Pop.

What began as a faint popping in a 9-year-old boy's ear -- "like Rice Krispies" -- ended up as an earache, and the doctor's diagnosis was that a pair of spiders made a home in the ear.

"They were walking on my eardrums," Jesse Courtney said.

One of the spiders was still alive after the doctor flushed the fourth-grader's left ear canal. His mother, Diane Courtney, said her son insisted he kept hearing a faint popping in his ear -- "like Rice Krispies."

Dr. David Irvine said it looked like the boy had something in his ear when he examined him.

When he irrigated the ear, the first spider came out, dead. The other spider took a second dousing before it emerged, still alive. Both were about the size of a pencil eraser.

Jesse was given the spiders -- now both dead -- as a souvenir. He has taken them to school and his mother has taken them to work.

Where is the vomit smiley when you need it? Just disgusting. Strange though, I cant imagine what would make not one, but two spiders want to live in your ear canal. Spiders usually like to set up camp near areas with lots of bug traffic(ie. near lights, in trees, underhangs, etc.) and it isnt as if there are tons of bugs passing by in your ear.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 7, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/07/spiderboy.ap/index.html

Where is the vomit smiley when you need it? Just disgusting. Strange though, I cant imagine what would make not one, but two spiders want to live in your ear canal. Spiders usually like to set up camp near areas with lots of bug traffic(ie. near lights, in trees, underhangs, etc.) and it isnt as if there are tons of bugs passing by in your ear.

I remember seeing a story about a lady who had a huge swollen sac on her ear. She went to the doctor's and when they cut into it, about 100 baby spiders crawled out. The doctor suspected that a small spider entered her ear thru her abnormally large earring hole and had babies in the ear, then died. The sac had grown to the size of a gumball.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 7, 2007 -> 08:27 AM)
I remember seeing a story about a lady who had a huge swollen sac on her ear. She went to the doctor's and when they cut into it, about 100 baby spiders crawled out. The doctor suspected that a small spider entered her ear thru her abnormally large earring hole and had babies in the ear, then died. The sac had grown to the size of a gumball.

Dude, that was some story in the "Scary Stories" series... it wasn't true.

41T665J3Q0L._SS500_.jpg

I loved these when I was a kid... I can't seem to find an image for the first book, which I believe it was in...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ May 7, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Dude, that was some story in the "Scary Stories" series... it wasn't true.

41T665J3Q0L._SS500_.jpg

I loved these when I was a kid... I can't seem to find an image for the first book, which I believe it was in...

I remember those books, those were great.