Curse of the Widge!!!

retro1983hat

Last night on the radio post game show, someone called in and told Chris Rongey that this team has been cursed since we release Chris Widger.

I laughed at this, but then I thought about it. We were great all of 2005 and won the WS. Last year we were one of the top couple of teams in the game through the first half until we released Widge.

Does anyone have any supporting facts what our record was in 2005 and early 2006 before the release of the Widge and since?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
Last night on the radio post game show, someone called in and told Chris Rongey that this team has been cursed since we release Chris Widger.

I laughed at this, but then I thought about it. We were great all of 2005 and won the WS. Last year we were one of the top couple of teams in the game through the first half until we released Widge.

Does anyone have any supporting facts what our record was in 2005 and early 2006 before the release of the Widge and since?

By August 1st last year, we'd already started to tail off and were only 20 games over .500.

We fell to 90-72, and we're .500 this year. So we're 2 games under .500 since the release.

I think the health of Pods and Thome have a lot more to do with it, and the lack of production from Konerko and Crede in particular.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)

The screener for the PFB show must pick morons and fools. They keep putting on some lady who associates wins with some obscure animal she saw in her backyard, or when a pigeon whispered to her the final score. Or people like Tom from Des Plaines who hits every show, who had to be reminded last year that the team was eliminated from post season when he argued that there was still a chance for the playoffs if they won like the last 5 in a row. So let me get this straight. We release a softball player, who played well one year, and we are cursed. First of all, we don't believe in curses. If you like curses, goats, bartmans and all things silly link to nsbb.com where crazytalk lives. We didn't win in 06 because our pitching was mediocre, and in the 2nd half so was our offense. Not a silly curse, not because of a backup catcher.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)
Don't discount Widger.

He got Kenny.

He'll get you too.

PS: I'd much prefer Widger to Molina.

At least he homered off Randy Johnson. Something we could never imagine Molina doing, unless he changed bodies with one of the "real" Molina brothers.

Heck, Alfred Molina, Doc Oc from Spiderman 2, would be able to at least make contact with all those arms swinging...and at least it wouldn't be a Crede/Konerko pop-up.

Edited by caulfield12

Widger was one of the reasons the Sox were struggling in 2006. His CERA was way over AJ's and he was an automatic out in the lineup.

Granted, he would be an upgrade over Molina, but I would rather see Wiki before Widger again.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 7, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
The day of his release should really be in your sig as the worst day of your life.

I don't remember the exact date because I've tried to block that terrible day from my memory.