So the fans were whining about this in the offseason?

sox-r-us

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Danks 6HR/28.7IP

BMac 4HR/26IP

and?

Danks>BMAC

and Danks wasnt even supposed to be ready until next year. KW won that trade hands down, especially with Masset. Freddy for Gio and Floyd was very equal, Gio has the chance to be a top of the rotation guy in the next 2 years and Floyd was a reach for the majors this season.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 8, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
and?

Danks>BMAC

and Danks wasnt even supposed to be ready until next year. KW won that trade hands down, especially with Masset. Freddy for Gio and Floyd was very equal, Gio has the chance to be a top of the rotation guy in the next 2 years and Floyd was a reach for the majors this season.

That would be amazing, but I'd be thrilled if he's anything more than a 4th/5th starter in the next 4 years.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
That would be amazing, but I'd be thrilled if he's anything more than a 4th/5th starter in the next 4 years.

The one thing I don't think will happen with Gio is wind up as a 4/5 starter. I think either Gio will wind up bieng a top of the rotation type guy or gio will wind up struggling with injuries.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)

Well its your job to be negative and mine to be positive. But the numbers that he has been throwing up are impressive, I see him as nothing below a #3 starter. In fact I think he is the #2 and Russell is the #3 within the next 2 seasons.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
and?

Danks>BMAC

I wasn't implying anything, you're just making assumptions. There was talk in the thread about McCarthy being traded because he gives up too many homeruns however this season he has been keeping the ball in the ballpark. He's still giving up a s*** load of hits and runs and his strikeout numbers are just sad but the one thing he's not doing is giving up the long ball.

I don't remember ever saying I'd rather have McCarthy than Danks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
I wasn't implying anything, you're just making assumptions. There was talk in the thread about McCarthy being traded because he gives up too many homeruns however this season he has been keeping the ball in the ballpark. He's still giving up a s*** load of hits and runs and his strikeout numbers are just sad but the one thing he's not doing is giving up the long ball.

I don't remember ever saying I'd rather have McCarthy than Danks.

Assumption this, buddy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
And to top it off, the whining threads are boring with a capital ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Lets get back to the good old days of over-reactionary threads!

Dump Joe Crede, get Vinny Castilla!

From Jan 2k4, the decline of Mark Buehrle

At least be entertaining!

Wow, Im actually sensible in the first thread.

Get Herbert Perry!!!!!!!!!!!

Its about as likely as Castilla

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
How many of those were with 1 or more runners on base for McCarthy than with Danks.

McCarthy:

1 R - Ichiro

1 R - Jose Vidro

3 R - Jose Vidro

1 R - Sal Fasano

Danks:

3 R - Morneau

1 R - Ryan Garko

1 R - Josh Barfield

1 R - Brandon Inge

1 R - Jose Guillen

1 R - Yuniesky Betancourt

So out of the 10 HR they've allowed combined, half of them have been hit by Mariners.

Part of what I like about Danks is he pitches differently with men on base than with the bases empty. Other than the Morneau pitch, he really has made almost no mistakes with men on base, but he attacks when the bases are empty and won't just give you free baserunners. I can live with the solo home runs for sure.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
McCarthy:

1 R - Ichiro

1 R - Jose Vidro

3 R - Jose Vidro

1 R - Sal Fasano

Danks:

3 R - Morneau

1 R - Ryan Garko

1 R - Josh Barfield

1 R - Brandon Inge

1 R - Jose Guillen

1 R - Yuniesky Betancourt

So out of the 10 HR they've allowed combined, half of them have been hit by Mariners.

Thats just sick right there.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)

That's what I'm thinking... I do not see Gio as anything more than a 4th at best.

the freddy trade comes down to this: would you rather get rid of a guy a year early than a year late?

I think the correct answer is a year too early. I wonder what some idiots on this board would have said if we kept freddy and then have him end up being injured at the beginning of the season. the same people who ripped KW for trading him most likely would have ripped him for not trading him. just a thought.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:28 AM)
the freddy trade comes down to this: would you rather get rid of a guy a year early than a year late?

I think the correct answer is a year too early. I wonder what some idiots on this board would have said if we kept freddy and then have him end up being injured at the beginning of the season. the same people who ripped KW for trading him most likely would have ripped him for not trading him. just a thought.

He missed one start! Flat out, KW lied when he said he wouldn't trade Garcia unless it improved this team for 2007. He failed!

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
He missed one start! Flat out, KW lied when he said he wouldn't trade Garcia unless it improved this team for 2007. He failed!

Unless you consider clearing a spot for another starter, like Danks, who may end up being better than Garcia over the course of the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)

Dude, do you know how many times I've been lied to by KW? Hell, I'm at the point where if he denies mentionning of a trade, I expect something to go down ASAP, and vice-versa.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:54 AM)
Unless you consider clearing a spot for another starter, like Danks, who may end up being better than Garcia over the course of the season.

No, he said the players he'd acquire would help the 2007 team if he traded any of our big 5 starters. The McCarthy trade was something completely different.

While very clearly up to this point you are dead wrong as Garcia has worse numbers in the NATIONAL F'N LEAGUE than our worst starter, you still have the rest of the season to continue to be wrong.

And the Sox have $10 million. And a good prospect. And, at worst, another warm body who can pitch some innings.

Danks is starting instead of Garcia, and to me so far at least, it is looking like the Sox are better for it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2007 -> 07:02 AM)
Danks is starting instead of Garcia, and to me so far at least, it is looking like the Sox are better for it.

KW believed "in his heart" we were just as competitive (if not moreso) with Floyd as the 5th starter over McCarthy, before the deal for Brandon went down with all the Garland rumors swirling.

I really think that things could be a lot worse...we could extended Dye, Iguchi and Crede (instead of Buehrle).

We could have gone out and spent a ton of money on either Pierre or Roberts and let Pods go, in which case, we'd be blocking Sweeney and we'd be selling off those guys in June/July, since they wouldn't be part of any long-term plan, maybe Pierre...but the days of a consistent 50 stolen bases won't last for much longer as he enters his 30's.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2007 -> 07:02 AM)

KW believed "in his heart" we were just as competitive (if not moreso) with Floyd as the 5th starter over McCarthy, before the deal for Brandon went down with all the Garland rumors swirling.

I really think that things could be a lot worse...we could extended Dye, Iguchi and Crede (instead of Buehrle).

We could have gone out and spent a ton of money on either Pierre or Roberts and let Pods go, in which case, we'd be blocking Sweeney and we'd be selling off those guys in June/July, since they wouldn't be part of any long-term plan, maybe Pierre...but the days of a consistent 50 stolen bases won't last for much longer as he enters his 30's.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 9, 2007 -> 07:24 AM)
Danks has nothing to do with the Garcia trade.

The real issue here is that KW didn't do much of anything with the savings from Garcia deal...we just stayed status quo, and paid for the raises and salary increases in our payroll.

Realistically, we need to shed the salaries of Mack and Cintron and open up those spots for younger players.

Heck, I would rather they take that $5 million and buy off the Twins' Director of Scouting and half of his staff...than overpaying two bench players, one of who is potentially blocking Sweeney's progress. If he doesn't play and you go with Sweeney, you're wasting valuable payroll money that could be better allocated on a legitimate everyday starter, not a utility player.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 9, 2007 -> 07:24 AM)
Danks has nothing to do with the Garcia trade.

He could have very well believed that with Garcia struggling to hit the 85 mph mark, that we would be better with Gavin Floyd in the rotation. If you want to discount the McCarthy trade completely, you could also say Kenny thought we would be a better team with McCarthy in the rotation over Garcia.

How is either one of those a lie? Its a subjective opinion that you don't agree with.