Who wants Ozzie's head?

striker

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sox fire Ozzie?

• Yes - He's garbage
    • No - Give Him Another Month
    • No - He's Awesome

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 9, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
He played CF most of last year, due to BA being on the watch list. He played CF up last year a few times.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 9, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
He can play CF, but most likely it will not be his position in the future. Terrero probably is a little better.

That is good enough for me. If he can play reasonably well (just needs to play once a week or so), then he should stay. Terrero having slightly better D playing once a week isn't enough to outweigh Sweeney's being better in every other way. Only way it makes sense to keep Terrero over Sweeney is if no one other than Terrero can field the position at least semi-competently.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
And the Sox WILL be in 4th place if they keep up this level of horses*** play and managing.

The irony is that Morneau has been really struggling this year driving in RISP.

Of course, leave it to the White Sox to break him out of that slump. Apparently, he wants to beat the White Sox more than we want to beat him.

Where has the fire gone with this team? The Twins always seem to have that little "edge" or motivation in our head-to-head match-ups.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
The irony is that Morneau has been really struggling this year driving in RISP.

Of course, leave it to the White Sox to break him out of that slump. Apparently, he wants to beat the White Sox more than we want to beat him.

Where has the fire gone with this team? The Twins always seem to have that little "edge" or motivation in our head-to-head match-ups.

Managing, as well. Even though it didn't work out for them, I loved how Gardenhire got Ozzie to bring in Aardsma so that he could have Kubel bat (a much more dangerous hitter than Rabe). I can't remember the last time Ozzie used his bench like that in order to get a favorable match-up at the plate.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
Managing, as well. Even though it didn't work out for them, I loved how Gardenhire got Ozzie to bring in Aardsma so that he could have Kubel bat (a much more dangerous hitter than Rabe). I can't remember the last time Ozzie used his bench like that in order to get a favorable match-up at the plate.

Of course, it would help if we had a single dangerous hitter off our bench.

We've gone from one of the best AL benches to the worst.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Of course, it would help if we had a single dangerous hitter off our bench.

We've gone from one of the best AL benches to the worst.

Yeah, what's Ozzie going to do? Bait them with Cintron and then switch in Mackowiak? Oh, the terror! :P

QUOTE(fathom @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
Maybe he should have kept Eduardo Perez and not carried 3 lefty relievers?

Dont worry he will send Sweeney down so he can play the poop platoon in Left because he needs like 25 LOOGY's on the team.

Yes, I too am baffled about Ozzie's reasoning to go with Terrero over Sweeney. His reasoning, as noted earlier was "Terrero can cover all the outfield. That's the reason." Sweeney played RF after the Sept. callups of '06. He started in CF for the Knights in '07, and has been playing some solid LF in the majors. Of course, I also am the mind that Sweeney benefits playing every day in AAA over spending time on the bench in Chicago. Bottom line, send someone else down and let him play!

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Yes, I too am baffled about Ozzie's reasoning to go with Terrero over Sweeney. His reasoning, as noted earlier was "Terrero can cover all the outfield. That's the reason." Sweeney played RF after the Sept. callups of '06. He started in CF for the Knights in '07, and has been playing some solid LF in the majors. Of course, I also am the mind that Sweeney benefits playing every day in AAA over spending time on the bench in Chicago. Bottom line, send someone else down and let him play!

See post 27

There's no doubt that Sweeny should be playing almost every day.

I just really, really, really don't understand why he's not playing every day for the White Sox. Guillen's choice makes no sense. Surprise.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
See post 27

Logic + Ozzie = Does Not Compute

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 9, 2007 -> 08:47 AM)
Wow, this loss was Ozzie's fault? I coulda sworn it was the bullpen.

Hes right though, If Sweeney isnt going to play everyday up here, its more beneficial to have him play everyday at AAA. Its the correct decision.

You take your evolved baseball acumen and get the hell out of here. This is another Ozzie b****-fest, can't you tell? This loss was Ozzie's fault

Should Ozzie be fired?

Where is the:

"No, you're a pud." option?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
You take your evolved baseball acumen and get the hell out of here. This is another Ozzie b****-fest, can't you tell? This loss was Ozzie's fault

Should Ozzie be fired?

Where is the:

"No, you're a pud." option?

And que resident Ozzie Guillen apologist....

Do you actually want to defend anything he did or just your usual "OMG, you're so ridiculous! OMG OMG!" followed b hyperbole and strawman

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(fathom @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
While he did look good against Cuddyer (who's clearly not 100 pct and should have been pitched to in the 8th instead of Hunter), I don't think even the most optimistic of Sox fans liked his chances against Morneau. Masset's 93 mph inside fastball in that situation was not a good call, especially after Morneau was looking in after looking bad on an inside slider.

The pitch Morneau was about letter high 6 inches outside. He just hit it, somehow. Usually thats just a bad pitch and an obvious ball that you take.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
And que resident Ozzie Guillen apologist....

Do you actually want to defend anything he did or just your usual "OMG, you're so ridiculous! OMG OMG!" followed b hyperbole and strawman

Ozzie apologist? Surely you jest.

If I am to champion anything, it's the desire to have the scope of accountability shifted from the front office and coaching staff to the players on the field. When it's Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams hitting .196 though the first month of the season, then you come back and we'll talk. Until then, let's place the blame directly where it should be placed--on the players on the field.

You know who you are? You are the same guy that called for Bobby Cox's head following both the 1978 and 1979 seasons when the team finished dead last. You are the same guy that called for Bobby Cox's head when he decided to move first base and catcher mainstay Dale Murphy to center field--where he promptly won two MVPs and five Gold Gloves.

Take a lesson from the past, sport. Blame not the manager. You put the blame directly on the players on the field and then if the team falls apart at the seems or under preforms once established players continually preform at historically miserable paces, then you consider a managerial change.

Or, wait, wait, wait...maybe it would just be easier to fire the manager thirty games into the season.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
The pitch Morneau was about letter high 6 inches outside. He just hit it, somehow. Usually thats just a bad pitch and an obvious ball that you take.

Ok, my mistake then. I just turned the channel as soon as the ball was hit, and avoided replays the whole night.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)

It wasn't in, and it was up, but it wasn't anywhere close to 6 inches outside. Right over the plate.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Ozzie apologist? Surely you jest.

If I am to champion anything, it's the desire to have the scope of accountability shifted from the front office and coaching staff to the players on the field. When it's Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams hitting .196 though the first month of the season, then you come back and we'll talk. Until then, let's place the blame directly where it should be placed--on the players on the field.

No one is saying that the players aren't accountable. That's something you and others keep asserting, but no one is making that claim.

The players are sucking and failing to execute. That's not a problem that's easily fixable.

Ozzie Guillen is sucking and failing to make even decent baseball decisions/ moves. That's something that CAN be easily fixed if he just gets a clue.

When does the manager get to take heat for his stupid moves? Or the GM take heat for the team he assembled? This team has flat-out sucked over the last 100 games. Is that long enough?

Edited by StrangeSox

Yeah, you all are right. It is Ozzie's fault that this team is hitting .220. It is Ozzie's fault that Iguchi can't throw the ball to first base without pulling Paulie off the bag. Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. It is all Ozzie's fault. Oh, wait, maybe it is all Greg Walker's fault because he is OBVIOUSLY teaching them some ad habits. The managers and coaches get way too much credit for winning and losing. The constant bickering and whining on this message board about the coaches is flat out ridiculous. How can you blame the coaches whent he team is last in the league in hitting? The only way you win with a team like that is superb pitching and defense. If Iguchi could make that throw without pulling Paulie off of first last night then that would have been a win for the White Sox. Too bad he couldn't do that. Too bad he hasn't done a thing since 2005.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 9, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Yeah, you all are right. It is Ozzie's fault that this team is hitting .220. It is Ozzie's fault that Iguchi can't throw the ball to first base without pulling Paulie off the bag. Yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. It is all Ozzie's fault. Oh, wait, maybe it is all Greg Walker's fault because he is OBVIOUSLY teaching them some ad habits. The managers and coaches get way too much credit for winning and losing. The constant bickering and whining on this message board about the coaches is flat out ridiculous. How can you blame the coaches whent he team is last in the league in hitting? The only way you win with a team like that is superb pitching and defense. If Iguchi could make that throw without pulling Paulie off of first last night then that would have been a win for the White Sox. Too bad he couldn't do that. Too bad he hasn't done a thing since 2005.

It's the manager's job to make strategical decisions, especially in close games, to help give his team the best chance to succeed. If he really thought that facing Morneau in that situation was the best option the Sox had, then unfortunately, he's about as bad of a manager as some of us believe. The Twins have two dangerous hitters right now, and he let both of them beat us in crucial situations. When every game is close like we've had, not only do you need good pitching and defense, but you also need good managing. He hasn't been as bad this year as he was last year, but last night was a poor performance by Ozzie.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
A game here or there does not make a solid player. It makes Tuffy Rhodes or Jerome Walton.

So the fact that he had a better batting average, more HRs, more RBIs, more walks, more runs, less strikeouts, and a better OBP last year as opposed to 2005 makes him similar to Tuffy Rhodes? Get a clue.

Edited by BigSqwert