Aardsma stop doing that

joeynach

Stop throwing that same fastball (no matter how fast) that runs up and in to right handed hitters. The first time you did it you gave up a game tieing homer to Thames the second time a game tieing hit to hunter. So please David stop throwing the pitch that runs up and in to right handed hitters, which is basically like the hot zone or easy pitch to handle for most Righties. I like Aardsma I really do but its obvious his pitches tend to (naturally) run into the no-no spot against righties with decent power. Anyone else notice this suttle oddity.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
yeah up and in fastballs are so easy to hit at 95 mph.. good thing hes only thrown two of them all year

I truely believe it doesn't matter what speed if you know its coming and u see it enough times. Aardma did a decent job of mixing it up, but throwing pitches that moved towards your swing plane is bad, espeically against guys like Thames who cant hit anything but that s***. The point is for as good as stuff as Aardsma has he and AJ need to very careful that when they call for a high fastball it needs to be no where near inside becuase that makes it easier as it runs towards a righties bat. So even if hes late hes getting helped by the pitch moving toward his bat, where as if it was away he would remain late and not make contact. It is these minor suttlties that can 100% change and outcome of a swing, AB, or game. And I had this exact conversation with a white sox former scout and now white sox stadium operations staff guy about 2 months ago.

Nach...I like the way you try to analyze things, but remember this is Aardsma we're talking about, not Greg Maddux. If he had pinpoint control on every pitch he throws, he wouldn't have been traded twice already in his young career.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:03 AM)
I just thought that was a nice piece of hitting by Hunter.

I agree with this. It wasn't even a mistake, otherwise it would have been hit very hard. Hunter hit it hard, sure, but not into the seats.

If anything, blame MacDougal for allowing 3 baserunners and not getting a single out.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
You don't know what you are talking about. He doesn't have a designed cookie pitch. Two mistakes = two big hits. Bad location. Those fastballs aren't aimed belt ^, but for around the knees.

Of course they are not aimed, but I believe his pitches quite frequently have a natural run towards a right handed hitters (the only hitters he faces) swing plane. What if his fastball ran naturally moved down and away at 95 mph instead of up and in towards the direction of where the bat is coming from. I 100% believe he would be a better pitcher and those two big hits never would have happened.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 11:44 PM)
Nach...I like the way you try to analyze things, but remember this is Aardsma we're talking about, not Greg Maddux. If he had pinpoint control on every pitch he throws, he wouldn't have been traded twice already in his young career.

I realize this, though I believe his two trades were a result of inability of control, which hasn't really been his problem with the sox. Though I can see that his pitches tend to move around a lot, both good and bad, hitters with good eyes, patient hitters will be able to quickly recognize that his pitches might run out of the strike zone. IMO, Hes actually got good movement for a 4 seamer, to good RH sluggers though it tends to help them out cuz it runs toward their swing plane, or level of motion at which they move their bat at a high fastball. If that pitch is on the outside corner both to Hunter and Thames thats 2 wins. Im sure Aardsma was trying to throw the ball on the outer half, it probably started there and naturally ran up and in, twice.

Edited by joeynach

inability to pitch in clutch situations fathom? anyone remember 5 straight K's? The kid can do it. He's made two - count em - TWO mistakes all year (if that, because Hunter did just do a good job on that pitch - the man is hot right now). I'm amazed that people will criticize our BEST reliever this year and let Thornton/MMAC get away with their mediocrity.

QUOTE(Reddy @ May 9, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
inability to pitch in clutch situations fathom? anyone remember 5 straight K's? The kid can do it. He's made two - count em - TWO mistakes all year (if that, because Hunter did just do a good job on that pitch - the man is hot right now). I'm amazed that people will criticize our BEST reliever this year and let Thornton/MMAC get away with their mediocrity.

Yep, and we weren't winning when he had that great outing against the Indians. I'm not complaining at all about Aardsma....just not sure if he can maintain his poise when in tight situations.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
Lets face it. There are only a handful of relievers in all of baseball that are dominating year in and year out. We have some pretty solid guys in our pen but none of them are elite.

Agreed, and with that being said, even the elite have heavy struggles throughout most year(s). Obviously Mariano has been horrible this year, he has probably blown more saves in the first couple weeks than he prviously mustarded up in his career for a year. AJ just knocked the unstoppable Shields right out of a easy hold situation the other day. Bullpens will have their struggles, but I still like to think that we are better suited than most in that category.

Lets face it. There are only a handful of relievers in all of baseball that are dominating year in and year out. We have some pretty solid guys in our pen but none of them are elite.

Speaking of which has anyone else noticed our two supposed fireballers in sisco and thornton are throwing like 91-92. Aren't these guys 95+ easily, what gives.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 9, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Speaking of which has anyone else noticed our two supposed fireballers in sisco and thornton are throwing like 91-92. Aren't these guys 95+ easily, what gives.

I really believe they have both throttled back to gain some control. Also, it was noted that Sisco was throwing from a different arm angle last night, which may decrease his velocity as well.

What would be considered dominating?

How about leading the majors in ERA (1.65) and K/9 (10.72), with a WHIP under 1.00 and a HR/9 of 0.41 among pitchers with at least 40 innings since August 20th, 2006.

Guess who that is?

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 9, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
I really believe they have both throttled back to gain some control. Also, it was noted that Sisco was throwing from a different arm angle last night, which may decrease his velocity as well.

How about leading the majors in ERA (1.65) and K/9 (10.72), with a WHIP under 1.00 and a HR/9 of 0.41 among pitchers with at least 40 innings since August 20th, 2006.

Guess who that is?

Papelbon? F-Rod?

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
Papelbon? F-Rod?

Seriously? That's your guess? Come on now.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 9, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)

Guess who that is?

That's 43 2/3 IP and only 2 HR allowed and a 52:20 K:BB

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
Seriously? That's you're guess? Come on now.

Oops, I missed read the question... I thought it said for the 2006 season only...

The correct answer would be Aardsma, correct?