So can we fire Al Sharpton yet?

southsider2k5

I love the "I was misunderstood" card he is playing. Even if his explanation, he makes sure to downgrade mormons as different then him.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/09/rom...n.ap/index.html

Sharpton accused of 'bigotry' after remark on faith

Adjust font size:

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- The Rev. Al Sharpton, who recently urged that radio host Don Imus be fired for making a racially insensitive remark, said in a debate that "those who really believe in God will defeat" Republican Mitt Romney for the White House.

But Sharpton denied he was questioning the Mormon's own belief in God.

Rather, the New York Democrat said he was contrasting himself with Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author he was debating at the time.

"As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation," Sharpton said Monday during a debate with Hitchens at the New York Public Library's Beaux-Arts headquarters.

The comment was first reported Tuesday in a blog on The New York Times' Web site.

The Romney campaign, which has been wary of campaign trail criticism of Romney's faith, jumped on the Sharpton comment. If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon to serve as president.

"It is terribly disheartening and disappointing to hear Reverend Sharpton offer such appalling comments about a fellow American's faith," said Romney spokesman Kevin Madden. "America is a nation of many faiths and common values, and bigotry toward anyone because of their beliefs is unacceptable."

Romney chimed in himself Monday during an appearance on the Fox News program "Hannity and Colmes."

"I think there are differences between different faiths in this country. And there will be battles between different religions," Romney said. "That's a great thing about this country. We don't decide who's going to be in office based on what church they go to."

In a tape of the debate, Sharpton can be heard defending the role of religion in the civil rights movement and shunning any suggestion that there wasn't a religious underpinning to the efforts of its leader, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Then Sharpton spoke of Romney, although a tape reviewed by The Associated Press does not reveal why.

In a later interview with the AP, Sharpton denied questioning Romney's belief in God and suggested the Romney camp was trying to stir up a controversy because of their political differences.

"What I said was that we would defeat him, meaning as a Republican," Sharpton said. "A Mormon, by definition, believes in God. They don't believe in God the way I do, but by definition, they believe in God."

He said he was contrasting himself and other believers with Hitchens, who is the author of a new book, "God Is Not Great."

Last month, Sharpton led the calls for Imus' ouster last month after the talk show host referred to members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

Does Sharpton have a job to be fired from? :D

Anyway, I will say that the Mormon Church has definitely been known to have serious problems with racism. Its grounded in their beliefs from the Book of Mormon (read about the 13th tribe, or whatever it was called, I forget now). Those with darker skin are seen in that text as being aligned with evil.

For people wondering if Romney being Mormon is relevant or not, I'd suggest doing some some research on the LDS. Lots of great things have come out of that organization, but also, some very scary things. For the scary, read Under the Banner of Heaven. Make your own call. I will say this - I think being a Mormon is much, much more important in itself in terms of expectations of that person, then if Romney was a Christian of some sort, a Jew, or even a Muslim. Not necessarily in terms of good or bad - just very prescient as a view into his psyche.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
Does Sharpton have a job to be fired from? :D

Anyway, I will say that the Mormon Church has definitely been known to have serious problems with racism. Its grounded in their beliefs from the Book of Mormon (read about the 13th tribe, or whatever it was called, I forget now). Those with darker skin are seen in that text as being aligned with evil.

For people wondering if Romney being Mormon is relevant or not, I'd suggest doing some some research on the LDS. Lots of great things have come out of that organization, but also, some very scary things. For the scary, read Under the Banner of Heaven. Make your own call. I will say this - I think being a Mormon is much, much more important in itself in terms of expectations of that person, then if Romney was a Christian of some sort, a Jew, or even a Muslim. Not necessarily in terms of good or bad - just very prescient as a view into his psyche.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying there?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying there?

I am saying that, in my experience and my readings, my strong impression is this: Being Mormon has a much greater effect on a person's behavior and character than does being any other religion I have had significant experience with. That is not an assessment of good or bad - just strength of influence across the spectrum. Now, I can't say I've known many Menonites, or Amish, or Hasidic Jews (apologies if I misspelled that one), or other very stringent sects. But of the more mainline religious, Mormonism seems to have the greatest effect on its followers.

Just my experience.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
I am saying that, in my experience and my readings, my strong impression is this: Being Mormon has a much greater effect on a person's behavior and character than does being any other religion I have had significant experience with. That is not an assessment of good or bad - just strength of influence across the spectrum. Now, I can't say I've known many Menonites, or Amish, or Hasidic Jews (apologies if I misspelled that one), or other very stringent sects. But of the more mainline religious, Mormonism seems to have the greatest effect on its followers.

Just my experience.

Interesting. I wouldn't agree with you, but it is interesting none the less. I did go to school in the heart of the memonite/amish areas of Indiana, and I can say that those people are 100% about their religion, and take a very literal interpretation of it. I also know many practicing Muslims and Jews, and they are as literal as anyone else I have ever seen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Interesting. I wouldn't agree with you, but it is interesting none the less. I did go to school in the heart of the memonite/amish areas of Indiana, and I can say that those people are 100% about their religion, and take a very literal interpretation of it. I also know many practicing Muslims and Jews, and they are as literal as anyone else I have ever seen.

I think that Judaism, Islam and Christianity all have certain minority sects that are very literalist, and/or very strict followers. But I think that Mormons lack that range of involvement. It seems as if they are all very, very involved, invested, and stringent to their faith. But I certainly wouldn't doubt that Amish or Menonites are also similarly invested - I just have no experience or knowledge in that area.

I guess what I am saying is this... Most of the candidates are Christian of one type or another. But I think that for most of them, while their level of faith or belief varies, their religion is not as strong an influence on their lives as it is likely to be for Romney.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
I think that Judaism, Islam and Christianity all have certain minority sects that are very literalist, and/or very strict followers. But I think that Mormons lack that range of involvement. It seems as if they are all very, very involved, invested, and stringent to their faith. But I certainly wouldn't doubt that Amish or Menonites are also similarly invested - I just have no experience or knowledge in that area.

I guess what I am saying is this... Most of the candidates are Christian of one type or another. But I think that for most of them, while their level of faith or belief varies, their religion is not as strong an influence on their lives as it is likely to be for Romney.

They said the samething about Kennedy in 1960.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 07:24 AM)
Al Sharpton is such a joke. Why he's considered the voice of any one or any group is beyond me.

The news media loves to put Al Sharpton on the air and then spend a lot of time complaining about why Al Sharpton gets time on the air given what he does with that time. Spend a little bit of time thinking about that.

Yes! Please. While I pray that both parties are open to anyone who wishes, I am usually embarrassed to think we probably pull the lever for the same candidates. Just as I am certain that our GOP faithful here are embarrassed for some of their lesser advocates.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
They said the samething about Kennedy in 1960.

That's a good point. At that time, having a Catholic in the White House seemed like a huge ideological shift. Nowadays, I suppose we are a little more open-minded as a nation, so we don't give a ton of thought to Protestant vs Catholic, or the like. We had a Jewish candidate in 2000, and his faith was not considered by most to be a huge factor.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
The news media loves to put Al Sharpton on the air and then spend a lot of time complaining about why Al Sharpton gets time on the air given what he does with that time. Spend a little bit of time thinking about that.

Ditto Ann Coulter's crazy ass. For some reason, people watch.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
That's a good point. At that time, having a Catholic in the White House seemed like a huge ideological shift. Nowadays, I suppose we are a little more open-minded as a nation, so we don't give a ton of thought to Protestant vs Catholic, or the like. We had a Jewish candidate in 2000, and his faith was not considered by most to be a huge factor.

I think the more times we see an "unorthodox" candidate (for lack of a better word) the more that stereotypes are broken down. To be honest, I don't think an Obama would be taken at all seriously today, if Jesse Jackson hadn't have run in the 80's. I think because we have had the "first time" factor taken away in his candidacy, we won't hear too much about that stuff until he were to receive the nomination, well except for the occasional idiots saying something extremely stupid. I think Romney's situation is pretty similar, where it might be a side issue, but it shouldn't waste too much of people's time, unless he makes it into a bigger issue than it is.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 9, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Game over. :D

Take the question metaphorically and 'fire' him from his unofficial spokesperson for all things black, quit putting him on talk shows and quit shoving microphones in front of his mouth. Turn your literal filters off for a moment and you may actually get a clue.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Take the question metaphorically and 'fire' him from his unofficial spokesperson for all things black, quit putting him on talk shows and quit shoving microphones in front of his mouth. Turn your literal filters off for a moment and you may actually get a clue.

If the media would stop putting him on TV, then they couldn't spend nearly as much time being angry at the media for putting him on TV.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
If the media would stop putting him on TV, then they couldn't spend nearly as much time being angry at the media for putting him on TV.

But doesn't that cut into their Bush-bashing time?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)

I agree, but who are you pointing your ire at? As far as I can tell, like Balta said earlier, blame the idiots in the TV media for putting other idiots like Sharpton and Coulter on the tube. I don't think I know a single person who would consider either of them a spokesperson for anything.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
I agree, but who are you pointing your ire at? As far as I can tell, like Balta said earlier, blame the idiots in the TV media for putting other idiots like Sharpton and Coulter on the tube. I don't think I know a single person who would consider either of them a spokesperson for anything.

The spokespeople for asshatery? :lol:

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 15, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
http://www.floppingaces.net/2007/05/13/rap...ion-and-murder/

When will BIG AL have a say so about this?...... Jesse?

That made my stomach turn. It was one of the most horrible things I have heard of, and I have seen a lot of horrible things in my previous occupation. These animals needs to be executed, and that is the end of it.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ May 15, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
http://www.floppingaces.net/2007/05/13/rap...ion-and-murder/

When will BIG AL have a say so about this?...... Jesse?

1. As we've established here, no one on this board gives a crap what Al or Jesse say anyway.

2. What on earth does this disgusting crime have to do with them? Why should they comment? Because the killers happen to be black and the victims happen to be white?

If some liberal posters here are accused of being Bush-obsessed, then you sir are Al and Jesse-obsessed.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
1. As we've established here, no one on this board gives a crap what Al or Jesse say anyway.

2. What on earth does this disgusting crime have to do with them? Why should they comment? Because the killers happen to be black and the victims happen to be white?

If some liberal posters here are accused of being Bush-obsessed, then you sir are Al and Jesse-obsessed.

From Doug Stanhope.

I wrote an update regarding the Don Imus situation but before I could post it, 33 people selflessly gave their lives in Virginia to get him off of cable news. God bless them all.

The relevent points of the update were...

Imus didn't come across as racist to me so much as old white guy trying to sound young and hip by knowing the street lingo. Like your Grandpa talking about you smoking "mary jane" or your Mom saying something is "grody to the max". Either way, who gives a f***? If a man that old and obviously addled-of-mind spent his whole show every day attacking me directly and specifically, I'd give it as much mind as if it came from an elderly dementia patient in a long-term nursing facility.

Who cares? Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, that's who. The civil rights movement is very much like Mother's Against Drunk Drivers. Started out as a legitimate cause only to have the Mad Mother's and MLK's driven out and replaced by blind capitalists scouring the fine print for another reason to stick their greed 'n' power loving fingers in someone elses feedhole.

Bottom line is that Imus was calling those chicks ugly. There were two basketball teams playing that night. If it were about race, he would have mentioned them both - unless the other team was all white. That kinda basketball hasn't been around since Naismith chucked a dead cat in a peach bucket in the 1800's.

Imus called them ugly and thankfully for them he included something that could be maligned into the race card. You'd much rather have national press exposure for being a victim of racism than to be on the front page for being called dog-dick ugly. Ugly is something you carry alone. There's no Al Sharpton self-appointed spokesman for the ugly because ugly isn't a minority.

The only racism I saw was Imus apologizing to Al Sharpton rather than to the specific people he insulted, as though if you insult one black person you can simply apologize to any neighborhood franchised negro and it will get where it needs to go.