Uh oh......

sox-r-us

After the game, however, Guillen raised some suspicions about the ventilation at the Metrodome.

"I don't know why, in the ninth inning the flags are always blowing," Guillen said. "Check it out [Thursday]. All of sudden, the ballpark starts getting cold, a little breeze.

"Come on Gardy (Twins manager Ron Gardenhire). Gardy should know about this. I have respect for Gardy."

================

This can get interesting in a hurry..... :D

This story comes up all the time. More than just Oz have wondered about their "air" system being turned on or off at crucial times. But since Oz made the comments, people will run wild about it and say he needs to "worry about his club instead of the ventilation."

QUOTE(CarlosMartinez @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:22 AM)
This story comes up all the time. More than just Oz have wondered about their "air" system being turned on or off at crucial times. But since Oz made the comments, people will run wild about it and say he needs to "worry about his club instead of the ventilation."

This is a non-story.

I think Ozzie was joking because Morneau's ball off Masset would have been a home run if the fences were at 450 and the A/C was blowing against the ball...

There has been a discussion about this issue since at least the 2001 season.

when i was there 2 years ago vs the yankees, the twins were down 6-5 in the 9th, and they had a guy on 3rd with 1 out. all of a sudden, it felt like a 5 degree temperature change, and i did feel little breezes

The ball Crede hit in game 1 was CRUSHED and only made it to the 2nd row. My commented to my friend I was watching the game with immediately after it landed that "Crede hit that one through a stiff breeze, so I'm really impressed". So I can see Ozzie's thought process here.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
Now the only way this would be an issue is if they were turning it on at specific times, like after the top of the inning. That would give the Twins an advantage.

That's exactly what they've been accused of, admitted to and have never been reprimanded for. The outfield ventilation system would be turned on in the top of the inning and the ducts behind homeplate would be opened in the bottom half. It's complete horses***.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Didn't they get reprimanded for creating artificial noise during Vikings games as well?

Amplifying the noise that was already in there. Basically putting a microphone on the crowd and piping it through the speakers at full blast

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
The ball Crede hit in game 1 was CRUSHED and only made it to the 2nd row. My commented to my friend I was watching the game with immediately after it landed that "Crede hit that one through a stiff breeze, so I'm really impressed". So I can see Ozzie's thought process here.

Yeah at least Ozzie noticed and didn't cover it with some political mumbo like most do. Heck hes even got eveidence if there is some tape from the broadcast of the flags only blowing (out) when the twins are batting. Well it wont be an issue for sure in a couple years when the twins finish their new outdoor stadium.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 10, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Yeah at least Ozzie noticed and didn't cover it with some political mumbo like most do. Heck hes even got eveidence if there is some tape from the broadcast of the flags only blowing (out) when the twins are batting. Well it wont be an issue for sure in a couple years when the twins finish their new outdoor stadium.
I don't see any reason for not monitoring the vents on the circulation system if there is a possibility of tampering. FOul play should equal forfeit. Other stadiums also could be manipulated.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:17 AM)
and these are the types of things Ozzie says that still make me love him. He may be one of the worst in game managers in the league, but he will never stop being funny.

That statement never stops being funny, also.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
Or accurate.

Wrong.

I think Ozzie compares favorably to almost all managers.

Take today. Someone said earlier, somewhere on this board, something to the effect of, "Props to Ozzie for leaving Contreras in." Well if the Twins had rallied to lose or rallied and won (but rallied either way), it'd be, "Why's he going with the old man?" "What's wrong with him?" "Moron." "Idiot."

It's easy to talk about Ozzie as a bad in-game manager but I don't think he is especially bad. Managers make boneheaded decisions sometimes. It happens.