SI: Most Intimidating Pitcher

Texsox

In his time, Johnson was the most intimidating, but he wouldn't hit anyone on purpose because he was a gentleman who feared hurting someone seriously. Nobody except Ty Cobb realized that, however.

Really interesting stuff.

As far as Randy Johnson + Koufax = HIGHER! goes, I don't know about Koufax. Johnson I'd consider bumping up, but Koufax has no business as high on that list that he is. He wasn't intimidating in the typical sense. He was intimidating because hitting against him was like drinking coffee with a fork. /quote

I think Marichal and RJ belong higher than Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens, but Clemens I can see being higher, consider his roid-rages.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Not sure how Ryan isn't higher and in no way does Roger Clemens deserve to be ahead of him in anything related to pitching.

except for....well, everything

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Dan, couldn't disagree with you more. Ryan may have had a better fastball, but he is nowhere near the pitcher that Clemens is/was.

when was the last time Roger Clemens threw someone into a headlock and beat the piss out of them?

yeah, thats what I thought

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 16, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Dan, couldn't disagree with you more. Ryan may have had a better fastball, but he is nowhere near the pitcher that Clemens is/was.

Seriously? Nolan Ryan after his early years, turned into one of the best pitchers in the history of the game. Once he learned the circle change and lost something out of his fastball, he really learned how to pitch.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Seriously? Nolan Ryan after his early years, turned into one of the best pitchers in the history of the game. Once he learned the circle change and lost something out of his fastball, he really learned how to pitch.

I'm with Jason on this one. Ryan was too wild. I'd take Clemens over Ryan any day. I'd also probably take Gibson, Marichal and Pedro over Ryan. Ryan could be absolutely unhittable, but he could also be very bad. He was great, but not as consistently great as some others.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)

And Clemens is the the best pitcher over the last 20 years (including when Ryan pitched). The only guy I think was better than Roger was Pedro (but Clemens has been dominant for longer). I would also take Pedro in his prime over Ryan.

Both Clemens and Pedro were just superior pitchers (albeit Ryan had a better pure arm).