Guillen leans toward demoting Sweeney

Controlled Chaos

I know we were talking about this in a thread yesterday, but I can't seem to find it. Feel free to merge this in if you do.

Guillen leans toward demoting Sweeney

By Scot Gregor

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Thursday, May 10, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS — When Jim Thome is activated off the disabled list, likely Tuesday before the White Sox’ home game against the New York Yankees, either Ryan Sweeney or Luis Terrero is going back to Class AAA Charlotte.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has been leaning toward sending Sweeney back to the minor leagues because he’s young and needs to play every day.

But Sweeney, 22, continues to show signs he belongs in the majors.

“I’m trying to do everything I can every game,’’ Sweeney said. “Hopefully, I can show them I want to be here.’’

Starting his sixth straight game in left field Wednesday, Sweeney extended his hitting streak to five games with a clutch 2-run single with two outs in the first inning.

“Anytime you can get more games under your belt, you get more confidence,’’ Sweeney said. “I’m starting to get more comfortable, not really against the pitchers, just more comfortable in the batter’s box. I’m kind of getting used to the whole atmosphere.’’

In the process, Sweeney is forcing Guillen to rethink the upcoming roster move.

“We just talked about that today,’’ Guillen said. “The decision will be made by how many days he’s going to play and how many at-bats he’s going to get.’’

For as well as Sweeney has been performing, Guillen still sounds like the young outfielder would be better off in Charlotte.

“Is he ready to play?’’ Guillen said. “He’s a little behind. He’s a baby. But he gives me big hits and he’s playing outstanding outfield. He has a lot of pluses. Is he ready yet? No, not really at this time. Maybe later on in the year he is.’’

Take a break: A.J. Pierzynski was held out of the starting lineup Wednesday for the second time in the last three games.

Prior to Wednesday, Pierzynski appeared in all 29 games this season.

“I think it’s hard enough to catch every day, and A.J. has been catching a lot,’’ manager Ozzie Guillen said. “If you want to be durable, you can’t play A.J. the way we’ve been playing him.’’

Guillen also said the limited playing time has been unfair to reserve catcher Gustavo Molina.

“I have to show this kid a little confidence,’’ Guillen said. “You come here and you are a backup and you don’t play in this game or tomorrow, and all of a sudden it’s like, ‘What am I doing here?’ This kid has been playing good. He calls a pretty good game.’’

Depth chart: Manager Ozzie Guillen said Ryan Sweeney has moved past Brian Anderson on the White Sox’ depth chart, for now.

But Guillen said he’s impressed with the way Anderson has handled his demotion to Class AAA Charlotte.

After getting off to an 0-for-7 start with Charlotte, Anderson was batting .308 heading into Wednesday’s game against Richmond.

“I talked to him like a father,’’ Guillen said. “He knows my situation, about making that move. We gave him a lot of opportunities. Even when he was struggling, I put my head on the table for him. I told him he could take this either way. He could go down there and quit and waste one year, or go down and play the game the way he should be playing the game. He took it the right way.’’

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Color me confused on this. I keep reading Guillen's various quotes and it doesn't add up. Okay, how is Thome who is a DH, going to affect Sweeney who is a LF's playing time. The only person on the roster that could possibly come back on the active roster to affect Sweeney is Pods. Last time I checked he is targeted for June. So the real answer is, why wouldn't you play this kid ready or not and see what you have until Pods comes off the DL. Is sending him down, and putting the horror show of Ozuna/Mack in LF a good thing. Mack coming off the bench, being a pinch hitter. This is what I thought we picked him up for. Not to be a platoon match for LF. He was originally picked up to backup Crede at 3rd. Funny thats the position he has played the least. You play this kid until he either proves he is over matched, or a better option comes along. He works the count, puts the ball in play and makes things happen. For me this is a non issue.

Why would he lose ABs when Thome comes back? Because Ozzie wants Mackowiak or Ozuna in LF?

A lineup with Thome and Sweeney would seem to be the best lineup all year:

Erstad

Iguchi

Thome

Konerko

Dye

AJ

Crede

Sweeney

Uribe

Molina appears to call a very good game but to try and get him more playing time is a bit goofy. He is not ready for the majors. Sometimes Guillen really confuses me. I understand AJ needs a rest but there have been plenty of off days. If the reason to get Molina playing time is for his defense why was Ozuna play left over Anderson neiterh are hitting.

I'm guessing that Ozzie sees a left handed bat with Sweeney, and one with Thome, whereas Terrero is rightie. Therefore, must replace lefty with lefty.

The fact that they never play the same positions, and the fact that Sweeney has been better against lefties than righties in AAA and MLB this year is apparently irrelevant to appendage man.

Sweeney is obviously getting plenty of time in the OF. Give the man a chance.

To take this thread in a different direction:

How freakin good does sweeney look? I mean, we have a top prospect who looks like he knows what the hell he is doing at the plate. Patience, hitting to both fields, making contact. You wouldnt know that he came up in our system if you saw him play.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)

How freakin good does sweeney look? I mean, we have a top prospect who looks like he knows what the hell he is doing at the plate. Patience, hitting to both fields, making contact. You wouldnt know that he came up in our system if you saw him play.

It seems pretty simple...he takes the offspeed stuff and pulls it and takes the fast balls opposite field. He has a good mental approach when he gets up there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)

I imagine him in the future as a guy who can be near the top of the order. He has all the earmarks of a high OBP guy. Pretty swing, good approach, nice contact. I have been waiting for him to come up since I saw him a few years back in ST. I watched him at 19 looking like he belonged. He really turned some heads in that ST.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
Erstad

Iguchi

Thome

Konerko

Dye

AJ

Crede

Sweeney

Uribe

I like that lineup, although I prefer to move Jermaine to 3 hole and shuffle Thome and Konerko to 4 and 5, respectively. Left, Right, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right, repeat.

Perennial contenders always infuse inexpensive youth from the farm system. With Danks and Masset (although technically from another farm), you have that in the pitching staff. Sweeney is showing that in the field right now and is getting on base and driving in runs. I do not see the reason why you would mess with the groove he seems to be finding.

If any move is to be made to improve the team, it would be to trade a left handed hitting reserve. While the obvious choice could be Mackowiak, purely because he only hits lefty, I would actually prefer to trade Cintron for a scrappy right-handed bat. Maybe even trade him for a prospect and bring back Eduardo Perez to fill the roster spot. This further cuts payroll and you still have Mack/Ozuna/Perez off the bench. There is enough versatility in Mack/Ozuna to compensate for Perez's one dimensional game. If Toby Hall does in fact return healthy, the Sox would have a nice insurance plan to counter the tough lefties in the league.

If Sweeney is still performing at current levels when/if Pods returns, you probably would be best served trading Pods away as well. I know it won't happen because of Guillen's love for him, but it would further free up money for a potential trade come the deadline where the Sox could take on a little more salary, rather than trading away that extra prospect like they always seem to have to do to save a couple million $$$.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
Sweeney needs to stay, at least until Pods comes back. Even then, I think he should stay. At least for now, him and Erstad seem to be the only ones who have confidence in their abilities.

exactly. it doesnt make sense to send sweeney down when thome comes back. when pods comes back yes because he will obviously be the starter and sweeney wont get much playing time. since it will still be little more time until pods comes back, sweeney should obvioulsy stay with the team

QUOTE(Balance @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Sweeney has been a real bright spot. I wouldn't want to even consider sending him down unless and until Pods is back at 100%. And perhaps not even then.

Even when Pods came back, he will be nowhere near as effective as Sweeney is now.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
Why would he lose ABs when Thome comes back? Because Ozzie wants Mackowiak or Ozuna in LF?

A lineup with Thome and Sweeney would seem to be the best lineup all year:

Erstad

Iguchi

Thome

Konerko

Dye

AJ

Crede

Sweeney

Uribe

That lineup is pretty. If we can have that as the starting lineup, and get Hall back healthy... I'll feel pretty good about this offense going forward.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:18 AM)
Even when Pods came back, he will be nowhere near as effective as Sweeney is now.

This is most definitely the case but by mid-June there will still be a big hub bub when Ozzie plugs him back into the leadoff spot. People will forget that a strained abductor is sort of a hampering injury for a speed guy when Pods proclaims that he's back to 100% in order to save his starting job.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
That lineup is pretty. If we can have that as the starting lineup, and get Hall back healthy... I'll feel pretty good about this offense going forward.

The Sox could suddenly become a pretty scary team if Erstad somehow keeps up this pace and Podsednik never sees the field in a Sox uniform again. With the way the pitching is going thus far this season, there would be good reason for some AL Central teams to be very worried if the Sox get healthy.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)

Exactly. You have Hall to spell AJ, and you have Mackowiak, Ozuna, and Cintron coming off the bench like they should be.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
This is most definitely the case but by mid-June there will still be a big hub bub when Ozzie plugs him back into the leadoff spot. People will forget that a strained abductor is sort of a hampering injury for a speed guy when Pods proclaims that he's back to 100% in order to save his starting job.

The Sox could suddenly become a pretty scary team if Erstad somehow keeps up this pace and Podsednik never sees the field in a Sox uniform again. With the way the pitching is going thus far this season, there would be good reason for some AL Central teams to be very worried if the Sox get healthy.

Erstad has been the leading hitter in the AL (among all leadoff hitters) since assuming that duty when Pods went down.