Guillen leans toward demoting Sweeney

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 10, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Thome will probably be back Tuesday, so a move will have to be made by then.

Upcoming Probables:

TUES: Mussina ®

WED: Wang ®

THUR: Rasner ®/DeSalvo ®

FRI: Guzman ®

SAT: Lilly (L)

SUN: Marque ®

The Sox then face Oakland who only has one lefty starter (Kennedy) and Tampa who has Kazmir and Fossum

That's 5/6 games vs righties then possibly 1 lefty in the next series and who knows who Tampa will throw out there so no that's not a legitimate excuse at all.

Thats actually really good cuz we average 1 run more per game against RHP and we do against LHP.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Beltin @ May 11, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
I knew my oversimplistic sarcasm would be jumped on immediately.

There are A LOT of people out there and on here specifically that think homeruns are a bad thing. There's no way for me to know if you're one of them and just in case there were some who read your post and agreed that homeruns are bad my reply was meant to set them straight.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 11, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
There are A LOT of people out there and on here specifically that think homeruns are a bad thing. There's no way for me to know if you're one of them and just in case there were some who read your post and agreed that homeruns are bad my reply was meant to set them straight.

I totally understand. I do think that Sweeney's lack of power works to his advantage on this team. AL pitchers will pitch to contact more with him and allow him to spray the ball all over the field with the hope he gets himself out. I see him continuing to work counts, walking, and finding holes rather than lifting fly balls to the warning track. Hopefully this allows the rest of the lineup to see more pitch sequences during the game, drive in more runs, and get to the other team's bullpen faster. He appears to be a smart competitor that will only get better with experience and as his frame fills out.

QUOTE(Balance @ May 11, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Sweeney should stay, Terrero should go.

/thread

Couldn't agree more. Why play Sweeney every day and then demote him because Thome is back?? You telling me Ozuna or Mack are better in LF than Sweeney? And Oz has played him in every OF position so that arguement is out as well, lose Terrero.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 11, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)

Home runs are a great thing. However going up to the plate and "trying" to hit one, or more to the point "everytime" you go up to the plate you swing for the fences is counterproductive. Our park plays small enough that if you just try and make solid contact, a lot of those well hit balls will go out of the park.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 12, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
Home runs are a great thing. However going up to the plate and "trying" to hit one, or more to the point "everytime" you go up to the plate you swing for the fences is counterproductive. Our park plays small enough that if you just try and make solid contact, a lot of those well hit balls will go out of the park.

The approach from the whole team was probably the most pathetic I've seen all season. When Juan Uribe has the best approach at the plate -- he did a great job vs Odalis -- you know you have problems.

BTW, Sweeney needs to be in there against lefties. That's the beauty of having Ryan on the team -- you don't need to platoon him. Sure, he's going to struggle a bit against lefties, but he still gives you a good approach and see some pitches. Ozzie has to stop this platoon s*** with every single prospect that comes through the system. He did it with Anderson, he's doing it with Sweeney.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2007 -> 06:27 AM)
The approach from the whole team was probably the most pathetic I've seen all season. When Juan Uribe has the best approach at the plate -- he did a great job vs Odalis -- you know you have problems.

BTW, Sweeney needs to be in there against lefties. That's the beauty of having Ryan on the team -- you don't need to platoon him. Sure, he's going to struggle a bit against lefties, but he still gives you a good approach and see some pitches. Ozzie has to stop this platoon s*** with every single prospect that comes through the system. He did it with Anderson, he's doing it with Sweeney.

Yet he keeps putting Erstad out there, who's now 3-30 against LHP all year, and his only extra base hit was in his first AB of the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Yet he keeps putting Erstad out there, who's now 3-30 against LHP all year, and his only extra base hit was in his first AB of the season.

When you're a grinder, you contribute more than your numbers.

Of course, that's a real strong argument for an Erstad/Terrero platoon...which would require keeping Luis on the roster...

QUOTE(Balance @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
Sweeney has been a real bright spot. I wouldn't want to even consider sending him down unless and until Pods is back at 100%. And perhaps not even then.

If Sweeney can be allowed to stay and keeps producing then why not dump Pods with his salary and his injuries and let Sweeney handle things?

sweeneys approach, discipline and polish at the plate look to be 10 times better than Anderson. he looks like a baseball player whereas anderson looks like a guy who is athletic that is playing baseball....id love to see him stay with the club and for us to either send terrero back down

QUOTE(daa84 @ May 13, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
sweeneys approach, discipline and polish at the plate look to be 10 times better than Anderson. he looks like a baseball player whereas anderson looks like a guy who is athletic that is playing baseball....id love to see him stay with the club and for us to either send terrero back down

I could be wrong, but right now with how Sweeney looks disciplined at the plate and looking good defensively, isn't it a no brainer to send down Terrero when Thome comes back?

And when Pods comes back, in my opinion, Sisco should go down because he needs to get some control...I am hoping they don't even bother with Pods until after the allstar break so we can see what Sweeney can do- this is great experience for him and he's managed to get some key hits for us as well...