Guillen leans toward demoting Sweeney

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Beltin @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
Oh No! Not that! How would the Sox survive without another guy swinging for the fences?

There's a difference between hitting for occasional power with a good approach at the plate and swinging for the homerun on every damn pitch. Homeruns are a good thing, s***ty approaches brought on by the desire to hit more homeruns than you're capable are a bad thing. If Sweeney were to hit 20 homeruns this season it would greatly help the team.

Where would he play???

If Ozzie plans on giving most of the time to Ozuna/Mack then Sweeney needs to go down. Which is why I think he wants to send him down. If that's the case then good, theres no need for him to sit on the bench.

On the other hand, with the questions surrounding our outfield in the future we need to have some rookies to step up and if thats the case then leaving him out there this year is the best the option. At least in the offseason we'll have a better idea about our OF.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would he lose ABs when Thome comes back? Because Ozzie wants Mackowiak or Ozuna in LF?

A lineup with Thome and Sweeney would seem to be the best lineup all year:

Erstad

Iguchi

Thome

Konerko

Dye

AJ

Crede

Sweeney

Uribe

well i sorta agree, but how abvout moving sweeney to 2, and and iguchi to 8? that might be too much for sweeney to handle, but with a 5 game hit streak and iguchi bein cold, i want him there

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:39 PM)
well i sorta agree, but how abvout moving sweeney to 2, and and iguchi to 8? that might be too much for sweeney to handle, but with a 5 game hit streak and iguchi bein cold, i want him there

How bout Gooch sits once in a while and Pablo plays second. Geez-us...between Gooch and Cintron....it's brutal watching those ABs anymore.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
Sweeney everyday in LF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mack/Ozuna + Pods

It really isn't even close right now.

It's closer than that and closer than you think, because it's entirely possible Rob Mackowiak would put up better numbers over the course of the year than Ryan Sweeney. However, I agree with the thought because he'd provides an adequate bat at the bottom of the order, above average range and arm for a LFer (he really should be playing RF), and he's going to be starting next year so this experience at the MLB level and getting acclimated to some pitchers within the division and league will be a huge bonus for him long-term (and by long-term, I'm pretty sure I mean just next year).

The plot thickens:

Ozzie on Sweeney

Sweeney strengthened his case to stay on the roster when Thome returns by extending his hitting streak to six games with an RBI single and a slide to beat Mike Redmond's tag to give the Sox a 3-0 lead in the fifth.

"He is making it easier if he keeps playing like that," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Our thing is … how many at-bats is he going to get? How much is he going to play?

"In the meanwhile, he's not taking Thome's spot, but he might take Podsednik's spot. We don't know."

Of course Ozzie says a lot of things. I hope Sweeney continues to play well and we'll see how this plays out.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2007 -> 06:54 AM)
Sweeney is ready for this level. He is that good. He needs to keep producing and make them keep him here.

He will hit .260 or so and will continue to improve and having him up now not only is better than the other options but if he develops quicker than expected he could turn into a nice asset sooner rather than later.

I really want him to stay up and get a lot of AB's and hopefully he'll continue to impress and never see the minors again.

Ryan Sweeney will be a ROY candidate if he stays up and gets a good amount of AB's for the rest of the season. Plus, there isn't much competition in the AL for ROY...

Oh, I forgot about "Dice K" - I only call him that because his real name is too long - but he shouldn't count as a rookie in my book.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
I think Gooch needs more AB's in the 2nd hole before we start comparing him to Cintron's golf swing.

2 hole?!?...he looks clueless at the plate right now. Every time the dude gets benched he gets pissed and goes on a tear. I say f*** it and sit his ass for a few games.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
I am going to buy one of 3 jerseys.

A. Burls is he resigns

b. Danks

C. Sweeney

love em all

Finally the sox have young talented players from our system.

^^^^^

Probably Buehrle if he resigns. If not...definately Danks.

QUOTE(Wanne @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
How bout Gooch sits once in a while and Pablo plays second. Geez-us...between Gooch and Cintron....it's brutal watching those ABs anymore.

I actually think that Pablo is better than Gooch at this point. His dp's have looked better, he is looking like a better #2 hitter and actually can steal a base.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
I am going to buy one of 3 jerseys.

A. Burls is he resigns

b. Danks

C. Sweeney

love em all

Finally the sox have young talented players from our system.

At the stadium they have massett jerseys but no Danks at this point.

Sweeney has been a real bright spot. I wouldn't want to even consider sending him down unless and until Pods is back at 100%. And perhaps not even then.

[/quote

Pods can stay at the Left Bank Club! Name one thing he does better than Sweeney.

He was great in 2005 but that was a long time ago - Sweeney is by far a better defensive player.

He proved yesterday he can run the bases. He makes better contact than Pods.

What the heck do we need Pods for?

QUOTE(TheOcho @ May 10, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
I usually support Ozzie, but if he makes this mistake. Well... I might just snap.

Agreed. I am not an ozzie basher like many people on this board, but if Sweeney gets sent down after what he has shown i won't know what to think.....

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
There's a difference between hitting for occasional power with a good approach at the plate and swinging for the homerun on every damn pitch. Homeruns are a good thing, s***ty approaches brought on by the desire to hit more homeruns than you're capable are a bad thing. If Sweeney were to hit 20 homeruns this season it would greatly help the team.

I knew my oversimplistic sarcasm would be jumped on immediately. I agree with you 100% that Sweeney will need to fill out physically and learn to drive the ball with more force. It will only help his game and increase the number of threats he presents. However, I love that he plays within his current capabilities and gets on base the way he knows how. He also works a count and forces the pitchers to exhaust their arsenal to get him out. My stance is if the other guys are going to swing for the fences, it will be great to have Ryan on base for a 2 run shot rather than another solo HR. I will reserve judgement until he gets around the league once or twice, but right now he is one of the better looking all around OF prospects I have seen the Sox bring up since...who knows? Lance Johnson, maybe?