Mike Marshall

RME JICO

Almost exactly like a volleyball swing, but just a bit more one o'clock. Plenty of shoulder injuries will still occur, but they would be far less frequent. There will be effects long term though. I've played volleyball pretty much all my life(note: not simple backyard volleyball., but at the highest national level) and already at 17 I have permanent shoulder pain and probably won't be able to lift my arm above my neck in a few years.

His mechanics are almost identical to the "bow an arrow" volleyball swing, but like I already said, just abit more tilted to the right. Honestly I think if you were to come straight over the top with your arm, it would be more effective in preventing injuries, though I'm not sure how it would effect the pitching.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I had heard that Marshall has a really difficult personality to deal with if you didn't agree with everything he said, and that was a big reason behind his marginalization. Of course there are multiple motives and sides to every story, so I don't know if we can ever know the truth.

All that said, the article lists some pretty impressive credentials; I know I wouldn't want to have to be the one to prove him wrong. The guy's a freakin doctor and scientist rolled up in one. Finally, regardless of what role his methods play, those pitches Sparks were throwning were something else. That curve looks like a video game. Maybe Marshall should take his program to Japan or Latin America where someone might give it a more serious look.

SFF

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
Almost exactly like a volleyball swing, but just a bit more one o'clock. Plenty of shoulder injuries will still occur, but they would be far less frequent. There will be effects long term though. I've played volleyball pretty much all my life(note: not simple backyard volleyball., but at the highest national level) and already at 17 I have permanent shoulder pain and probably won't be able to lift my arm above my neck in a few years.

His mechanics are almost identical to the "bow an arrow" volleyball swing, but like I already said, just abit more tilted to the right. Honestly I think if you were to come straight over the top with your arm, it would be more effective in preventing injuries, though I'm not sure how it would effect the pitching.

Hey a fellow v-ball guy. I played at that level when I was your age too, you play club around the area? JO's was always the best time when I was in high school, I miss those days.

To expand on your concept, I was a setter/weak side hitter depending on which team I was playing for, and my shoulder injuries continue today because of the swings I took back then.

BTW, elbow torque is still the same, which is where alot of injuries happen today anyway.

Edited by RockRaines

Throwing a baseball overhand is unnatural and is not how our bodies were designed to work. Due to this injuries will always happen. You can mitigate the risk by using different methods and also genetics doesn't hurt also.

I threw over the top, pretty much near the 12 o'clock position with a high leg kick very similar to the pendulum method that they are raving about. It allowed me to throw hard for my frame type, and it allowed me to throw a very good 12/6 curveball and split/forkball. However it didn't do anything for my shoulder/elbow as I still go injured.

The only thing I can say is that stretching, long toss with velocity, and some of the exercises used in Tommy John rehab/what he talks about in that video can help you with velocity. Pedro Martinez became a hard thrower by lots and lots of long toss. He was documented as that is what he did to get into the upper 90s. I increased my velocity in one year by 7 mph by gaining height(late growth after high school), throwing a metal ball about the size of a baseball for 10 minutes a day, and using an extensive long toss throwing program for 6 months. We used to fill a coke can with sand, tape it up with duct tape, and throw it end over end in the back yard to get used to "pulling down the shade" on the curveball. The best thing for my forkball was listening to Donn Paul give a clinic on using a softball to practice spreading out your fingers.

One method doesn't help all. I think you have to hybrid what works for the individual.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Hey a fellow v-ball guy. I played at that level when I was your age too, you play club around the area? JO's was always the best time when I was in high school, I miss those days.

I've played at the last three junior olympics with local clubs at the open level. And I agree, it's such a blast. I'm in my 7th year of club now and it's going to be weird when it's gone.