Bluetooth

Texsox

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a Bluetooth Headset with your cell phone?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sorry, I was talking on the phone, what was the question?
  2. 2. People who use bluetooth headsets are . . .

• Fine with me, cutting edge and all
    • Bluetools
    • Annoying
    • Sorry, I was talking on the phone, what was the question?

Don't have one, have no desire to have one. I have a cell phone but I don't use it all that often, only when I really need it. Seriously there's NO ONE I want to talk to THAT BAD that would have me constantly yakking away on my cell phone (especially at airports or other public places).

I have one, I only use it while driving or sitting around the house. I agree that the people using them in grocery stores or wherever else are dbags, especially if you have to interact with people. But I hate holding the phone to my ear, even if at home, and of course it makes driving a lot easier.

My buddy's Grandfather-in-law was over at his house and was wearing one. He was in the area from Arizona and he's 80+ years old. WTH do you need that for, old man? You're 80! No one's going to call you! (Except maybe the Grim Reaper. :ph34r:

I love mine. However I only use it when I drive, or when I am on call for work and have to type on my laptop to fix something, while talking to someone that doesn't speak too good of English at 3am. Outside of that I don't use it. From a security standpoint the things scare the crap out of me at the corporate level. Not for phones mind you, but for laptops with bluetooth installed.

QUOTE(zimne piwo @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Don't have one, have no desire to have one. I have a cell phone but I don't use it all that often, only when I really need it. Seriously there's NO ONE I want to talk to THAT BAD that would have me constantly yakking away on my cell phone (especially at airports or other public places).

Its illegal in chicago to talk on your cell phone without one. Hence why lots of people have them. I travel for business and its neccessary, in my new car I have speaker phone with bluetooth which makes my life so much easier when im on the road.

I use a regular little headset when I drive or when I am writing. But if somebody ever sees me walking around with one of those things attached to my head while I am just "out and about", you have permission to beat the living crap out of me. The headset, by the way, only gets put on when a call comes in. I don't leave it on full time. I'm not an idiot.

Edited by Kid Gleason

I use mine when I'm driving, and I like it a lot better than when I had an earpiece with wires. It's the law in Chicago, too. Can't drive while using a cellphone unless you have a hands-free device.

There is absolutely no apparent enforcement of this, though. Every single day, I see several drivers talking, phone in hand, held to their ear.

Using a "hands-free" set for your cell phone doesn't make you any safer a driver. That law in Chicago is pretty much worthless. Studies are indicating that talking on a headset is no less dangerous than on a hand-held cellphone. From those studies:

Many studies have shown that using hand-held cell phones while driving can constitute a hazardous distraction. However, the theory that hands-free sets are safer has been challenged by the findings of several studies. A study from researchers at the University of Utah, published in the summer 2006 issue of Human Factors, the quarterly journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, concludes that talking on a cell phone while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, even if the phone is a hands-free model. An earlier study by researchers at the university found that motorists who talked on hands-free cell phones were 18 percent slower in braking and took 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked.

A September 2004 study from the NHTSA found that drivers using hand-free cell phones had to redial calls 40 percent of the time, compared with 18 percent for drivers using hand-held sets, suggesting that hands-free sets may provide drivers with a false sense of ease.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Using a "hands-free" set for your cell phone doesn't make you any safer a driver. That law in Chicago is pretty much worthless. Studies are indicating that talking on a headset is no less dangerous than on a hand-held cellphone. From those studies:

I still don't get the whole idea of "just talking on the phone is what is dangerous". How much more dangerous is talking on a hand free device than actually speaking to a living person in your car?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2007 -> 07:36 AM)
However I only use it when I drive, or when I am on call for work and have to type on my laptop to fix something, while talking to someone that doesn't speak too good of English at 3am.

This makes me smile.

Edited by Middle Buffalo