Patting Myself on the Back

mreye

I finished my first half marathon last Saturday. My official time was 1:58:53 (a 9:05 pace). I was hoping to beat 1:50, but was a little overwhelmed by the amount of runners (38,000+) and the humidity was high. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again next year. This was the Indianapolis Mini Marathon. It's a blast! They have 120 bands and entertainers along the route and you run a complete lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Really cool!). I would definitely recommend it for any runner.

As many of you know, I ran in high school and gained about 90 pounds since then. In January 2006, at 235 pounds, I decided enough was enough and got back to running - I grew in love with it again and I have lost 44 pounds to date.

As for my earlier hopes of running the Chicago Marthon - I missed the signup date and will try to get in next year. I thought about running a different one, but if I only run one in my life I want it to be Chicago!

Pictures

Woot! Awesome...

I ran it three times before it got that big. I ran the last one where they had the finish line be the yard of bricks, and the first one with the route finishing and ending downtown. Since then, it's really grown.

I ran the Orlando (Disney) marathon, it was really fun. If I had to pick another one to run, Chicago would be it.

However, I, like you, have gained about the same amount of weight since college. I think I'm up 70 lbs from college. How crazy that is...

I've lost a little weight since last summer, but not much. I need to get back into running - me and the dog (who needs to burn off more energy then I do) should run, but I hate mornings, and that's the only time I could do it.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 11, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
I finished my first half marathon last Saturday. My official time was 1:58:53 (a 9:05 pace). I was hoping to beat 1:50, but was a little overwhelmed by the amount of runners (38,000+) and the humidity was high. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again next year. This was the Indianapolis Mini Marathon. It's a blast! They have 120 bands and entertainers along the route and you run a complete lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Really cool!). I would definitely recommend it for any runner.

As many of you know, I ran in high school and gained about 90 pounds since then. In January 2006, at 235 pounds, I decided enough was enough and got back to running - I grew in love with it again and I have lost 44 pounds to date.

As for my earlier hopes of running the Chicago Marthon - I missed the signup date and will try to get in next year. I thought about running a different one, but if I only run one in my life I want it to be Chicago!

Pictures

Wait a second, you have 2 eyes? Im confused, your sig and screename are too misleading

On a serious note, that is impressive to jump back into running like that and stick with it. I tried to start up running to prepare myself for softball this summer, but I just practiced more with my team and stopped running. I plan on starting again soon, but it hasnt happened yet. The running I did prevented me from pulling my quads like I did before, but there was soreness that I did not expect after our first doubleheader.

Anyhow, congrats on finishing and continuing your regimen.

kyyle, I still get sore from softball. You use diffeerent muscles.

Thanks everyone. I almost forgot. Miller Lite had a booth set up at Mile 10 and were handing out cups of beer. Yes, you heard me right. I passed it up and decided to wait until after. The smell around that booth was nasty on a 75 degree day!!

QUOTE(mreye @ May 11, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
kyyle, I still get sore from softball. You use diffeerent muscles.

Thanks everyone. I almost forgot. Miller Lite had a booth set up at Mile 10 and were handing out cups of beer. Yes, you heard me right. I passed it up and decided to wait until after. The smell around that booth was nasty on a 75 degree day!!

If I remember right, the biggest difference is that Softball/baseball(stop/start activity) is an Anaerobic sport vs running as an Aerobic(continuous movement/activity) sport(If I am using the wrong term, forgive me, I think we learned that stuff in gym class in high school). Going from standing still to a full sprint continuously just wears on my groin and hamstring muscles.

You passed up free Beer? I just dont know you like I thought I did..... :D

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
If I remember right, the biggest difference is that Softball/baseball(stop/start activity) is an Anaerobic sport vs running as an Aerobic(continuous movement/activity) sport(If I am using the wrong term, forgive me, I think we learned that stuff in gym class in high school). Going from standing still to a full sprint continuously just wears on my groin and hamstring muscles.

You passed up free Beer? I just dont know you like I thought I did..... :D

There was more free beer at the end. I chose to hurry to that instead. :cheers