5/11 games

caulfield12

It's just hard to get excited about Lance Broadway. He doesn't strike guys out, he doesn't suppress hits at a particularly great rate, and he's not a big groundball pitcher. Combine that with the fact that the Sox have three guys pushing immediately behind him in JAG, and another pitcher who the GM adores (Floyd), and it's tough to see where Broadway fits in.

I know Broadway won't headline any package, but hopefully a GM out there likes his career ~3.10 minor league ERA enough to inquire about him so Kenny can grab a good player. In the right circumstances, I'm pretty sure Broadway could (will?) pitch in the majors. Heck, he'd probably make the Nationals rotation right now. But I can't see him ever starting for the Sox.

Birmingham won a very well pitched game 2-1 (which was inevitable after last nights 12-11 pitching abomination). Wes Whisler has a nice outing to get his first win (7 IP, 5 hits, 2 walks, 6 k's, 1 run) and Oneli got a scoreless 2 inning save. Getz 2 for 4 with 2 singles, Lucy 0 for 3. Collaro hit a homer to tie it and it was won on the always exciting run scoring double play. (Charlotte piled on late to win 7-1, btw).

W-S won 12-2. The big lefty Clayton Richard threw 6 scoreless (4 hits, 2 walks, 6 k's) for the win, he's pitched pretty well. Omogrosso threw a perfect 9th with 2 k's. Cunningham was 1 for 6 with 2 k's, but also had a 2 run homer. Schnurstein was really good again, 3 for 6 with a double and solo homer. Roberts was 4 for 6 with a homer and 3 RBI.

Kanny won 6-0. De Los Santos with 6 scoreless (2 hits, no walks, 8 k's) to go to 2-1 with a 1.76. He's allowed 12 hits (no homers) in 30.2 IP, with 15 walks and 33 k's (nice to see the good control tonight). Pretty incredible splits. Carter was 1 for 3 with a walk, RBI double, strikeout, and run. Shelby led off and was in CF again, 0 for 4 with a walk and run scored. Ugh.

Great pitched night for every team in the organization tonight, wow (5 teams, 5 runs allowed). As for Broadway, he's still young, has good control, and is putting up a very good ERA in a hitters paradise. He seems like trade bait to me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 11, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Birmingham won a very well pitched game 2-1 (which was inevitable after last nights 12-11 pitching abomination). Wes Whisler has a nice outing to get his first win (7 IP, 5 hits, 2 walks, 6 k's, 1 run) and Oneli got a scoreless 2 inning save. Getz 2 for 4 with 2 singles, Lucy 0 for 3. Collaro hit a homer to tie it and it was won on the always exciting run scoring double play. (Charlotte piled on late to win 7-1, btw).

W-S won 12-2. The big lefty Clayton Richard threw 6 scoreless (4 hits, 2 walks, 6 k's) for the win, he's pitched pretty well. Omogrosso threw a perfect 9th with 2 k's. Cunningham was 1 for 6 with 2 k's, but also had a 2 run homer. Schnurstein was really good again, 3 for 6 with a double and solo homer. Roberts was 4 for 6 with a homer and 3 RBI.

Kanny won 6-0. De Los Santos with 6 scoreless (2 hits, no walks, 8 k's) to go to 2-1 with a 1.76. He's allowed 12 hits (no homers) in 30.2 IP, with 15 walks and 33 k's (nice to see the good control tonight). Pretty incredible splits. Carter was 1 for 3 with a walk, RBI double, strikeout, and run. Shelby led off and was in CF again, 0 for 4 with a walk and run scored. Ugh.

Great pitched night for every team in the organization tonight, wow (5 teams, 5 runs allowed). As for Broadway, he's still young, has good control, and is putting up a very good ERA in a hitters paradise. He seems like trade bait to me.

Is Schnurstein viewed by anyone as more of a prospect than, say, Casey Rogowski? Seems like he has been in the low minors for five years.

I'm still mystified why we didn't take Garza over Broadway...well, Broadway probably carries a little more "cache" than we think as a former first rounder, that's worth a little premium I guess.

Would like to see them clear Phillips, Malone, Rogowski and Lopez from the organization and move some of the younger prospects up...would also like to see Andy Gonzalez get a chance to take Cintron's spot, but we'll have to wait until 2008 for that move.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 11, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Is Schnurstein viewed by anyone as more of a prospect than, say, Casey Rogowski? Seems like he has been in the low minors for five years.

I'm still mystified why we didn't take Garza over Broadway...well, Broadway probably carries a little more "cache" than we think as a former first rounder, that's worth a little premium I guess.

Would like to see them clear Phillips, Malone, Rogowski and Lopez from the organization and move some of the younger prospects up...would also like to see Andy Gonzalez get a chance to take Cintron's spot, but we'll have to wait until 2008 for that move.

Agreed 100 percent on line 3. And no, Schnustein is no more a prospect than Rogowski, but hopefully he stays hot so we can dump him off to somebody else as part of getting something nice in a trade, avoiding giving up a better prospect (which we should have done with Rogowski). And I am still not sold on Garza. We probably should have took him over Broadway, but I'm not sold.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2007 -> 03:22 AM)
Agreed 100 percent on line 3. And no, Schnustein is no more a prospect than Rogowski, but hopefully he stays hot so we can dump him off to somebody else as part of getting something nice in a trade, avoiding giving up a better prospect (which we should have done with Rogowski). And I am still not sold on Garza. We probably should have took him over Broadway, but I'm not sold.

Right now Schnurstein is probably the best trade bait in the orginization. He still is only 22 with nothing left to prove at high A. He already has hit more home runs (10) this year than last year (9). Looking at the corner infielders at Birmingham, there isn't much reason to keep him where he is.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 12, 2007 -> 03:18 AM)

Around the time of the draft, Garza's name wasn't even in the discussion. There were three guys they were considering -- Broadway, Carrillo, and the third guy was a pitcher/OFer southpaw from Tulane (?), maybe? His name isn't coming to my head right now.

Anyways, point being, I didn't see anyone at Baseball America saying the Sox should grab Garza. I can't actually believe that you wanted Garza -- perhaps a link of you saying the Sox should take Garza? The only thing I remember about Garza was that I was intrigued by his breaking ball. But IIRC, Garza was not throwing in the high 90s like he is now.

I still like Broadway as a prospect. Better then McCulloch anyway. Broadway might not have the best fastball, but he is working on a 2 seemer similar to Garland's with the sinking action, and he has always had a good curve. He also has a decent change, correct? His biggest problem to me seems to be his control.

He might never be a stud, but he could be a serviceable 4-5 guy at least. Maybe even a bullpen guy?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2007 -> 12:47 AM)
Around the time of the draft, Garza's name wasn't even in the discussion. There were three guys they were considering -- Broadway, Carrillo, and the third guy was a pitcher/OFer southpaw from Tulane (?), maybe? His name isn't coming to my head right now.

Anyways, point being, I didn't see anyone at Baseball America saying the Sox should grab Garza. I can't actually believe that you wanted Garza -- perhaps a link of you saying the Sox should take Garza? The only thing I remember about Garza was that I was intrigued by his breaking ball. But IIRC, Garza was not throwing in the high 90s like he is now.

You are thinking of Brian Bogusevic, who has sucked in the Stros organization so far. I didn't mind Broadway when we took him, thought he could maybe be a #3 starter. I thought he would have a better K rate in the minors, but he should still be a #4.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 11, 2007 -> 08:51 PM)
DLS has allowed 12 hits this season in 30 innings pitched. 33 strikeouts too.

Yeah Faustino is the s***.

As for Broadway I really like him for reasons I can barely describe. I think he will be a respectable to solid Major League starter.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2007 -> 01:29 AM)
That makes no sense. His control is his best attribute, not his biggest problem...

I thought he was having some control issues this season...

But like usual, I am probably wrong.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 12, 2007 -> 04:08 AM)

As for Broadway I really like him for reasons I can barely describe. I think he will be a respectable to solid Major League starter.

It's his name.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 12, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
I still like Broadway as a prospect. Better then McCulloch anyway. Broadway might not have the best fastball, but he is working on a 2 seemer similar to Garland's with the sinking action, and he has always had a good curve. He also has a decent change, correct? His biggest problem to me seems to be his control.

He might never be a stud, but he could be a serviceable 4-5 guy at least. Maybe even a bullpen guy?

Upside, #4 (although he's never thrown 92-94 MPH like Garland)...Matt Guerrier is the best guess....or a career minor leaguer.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 12, 2007 -> 04:08 AM)

Seems pretty comparable to John Maine, except Maine strikes people out at a better rate