WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

Reddy

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
I thought Gold Gloves are a sham and mean nothing because Rowand, Buehrle, Uribe, Garland, and Crede have all been screwed out of one over the past 3 years or so.

I don't think Rowand or Uribe were screwed out of anything.

Buehrle, Garland and Crede all have arguments...but it's more based on reputation and also offensive production. It's like the House of Representatives incumbency effect...once you win the GG, you keep winning it until someone takes it away, but they have to play clearly better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 12, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
We used Gload quite a few times in the late innings over the years. It's a non-issue for Erstad to go over there, Ozzie just doesn't want to move him out of CF to LF.

And judging by the jumps he gets out there I have no problem with that. However, I think its assinine for people to actually be concerned about Erstad playing first (no other first baseman in baseball touches Erstad...the guy is a freaking stud defensively at first).

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think Rowand or Uribe were screwed out of anything.

Buehrle, Garland and Crede all have arguments...but it's more based on reputation and also offensive production. It's like the House of Representatives incumbency effect...once you win the GG, you keep winning it until someone takes it away, but they have to play clearly better.

I'm certainly not a stathead on the Bill James side, but I believe Rob Neyer wrote an article after 2005 talking about how Uribe and Rowand (or was it Crede) were screwed out of a GG.

Okay, this Erstad vs. Konerko debate at 1B is pretty stupid. Konerko has limited range, but has the softest hands of practically any 1B in the majors. Erstad has the best range of any 1B and has good hands.

Practically, it really doesn't matter who we had out at 1B because they are both very good at it.

Uribe makes plays almost no other shortstop makes. However, last year he didn't have near as good of a season (he was bad offensively and while still better than most defensively, he wasn't his usual self).

I also stick to my theory that there isn't another shortstop in baseball that would have been able to make both plays that he made against the Astros in game 4 (the running catch into the stands and than having the gun to make the throw to first in time and get the final out).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
LMFAO!

This comment tops Pratt's "He hit it hard up the middle and the Royals made a good play" comment in the game thread.

He hit it hard up the middle and the Royals had him played perfectly.

I think the benching Iguchi for Gonzalez controversy will be the next board topic, lol. I can't imagine keeping Terrero over Sweeney after tonight. Even if you have Sweeney, Cintron and Mack on the bench in some situations...you go with your best players.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)

I think the benching Iguchi for Gonzalez controversy will be the next board topic, lol. I can't imagine keeping Terrero over Sweeney after tonight. Even if you have Sweeney, Cintron and Mack on the bench in some situations...you go with your best players.

Sweeney should be starting for us for the next 10-15 years (yes, he's that freaking good). Beautiful swing, great athlete and he'll be a premiere defensive left fielder (he's pretty good out there, plus most left fielders are pathetic defensively).

He is just flat out impressive for someone his age and I think he plays up to his competition and sooner or later he'll improve when it comes to turning on inside pitches (like the way he turned on that pitch today) and develop 20 plus HR power to go with a high average.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
Sweeney should be starting for us for the next 10-15 years (yes, he's that freaking good). Beautiful swing, great athlete and he'll be a premiere defensive left fielder (he's pretty good out there, plus most left fielders are pathetic defensively).

He is just flat out impressive for someone his age and I think he plays up to his competition and sooner or later he'll improve when it comes to turning on inside pitches (like the way he turned on that pitch today) and develop 20 plus HR power to go with a high average.

Right now, he is trying to hit for average. Hit the fastball to LF and turn on the breaking stuff. The same approach Uribe is taking. But like you said, once Sweeney matures some more, he will turn on those pitches some more. I see something like a 300+ avg, 25 HR, and 100+ RBI as his possible averages in a couple years.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
Seriously Jason. Erstad's glove over Lee's (both Travis and Derrek,) Helton's, Meinteizixziacaiz, and Pujols.

Ummmm, no.

Derek Lee is good, but no, Erstad is the best in the game over there. Mient is very good too and while I think Pujols is one of the best first baseman in the game there is no way I'd take him defensively over Erstad over a full season...NONE.

A, no first baseman has the range Erstad has

B, only one first baseman picks it as good as Erstad (Lee, who I think is the best when it comes to picking it and making the stretch)

C, super soft hands (Erstad ranks amongst the very best).

You can go back to saying how I rave about all Angels former Angels but I could give a crap, the majority of scouts/experts in baseball would back what I say about Erstad.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erstad is better then Pujols at 1B by far. But the rest you listed are all pretty much some of the best at 1B. Teixeria is another one you should add to that list.

But Pjulos won a gold glove!!!!

I was thinking Teixiera, but forgot to list him.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
So yeah, turns out Terrero is a pretty decent baserunner. That's what I took from the tenth inning.

He's got decent speed, but its not like he did anything amazing (took an extra base on a wild pitch that a cripple could of taken second from and he damn near went into no mans land at second and got picked off.

So I can't say whether he's a "good runner", but he has solid speed.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
, the majority of scouts/experts in baseball would back what I say about Erstad.

Prove it.

How come he wasn't signed until the end of January?

Derrek Lee is by FAR a better first baseman than Grinderstad. Just look at the improvement of Aramis Ramirez.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
He's got decent speed, but its not like he did anything amazing (took an extra base on a wild pitch that a cripple could of taken second from and he damn near went into no mans land at second and got picked off.

So I can't say whether he's a "good runner", but he has solid speed.

:bang

Get me registered for xoops, you dink.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
Prove it.

How come he wasn't signed until the end of January?

Derrek Lee is by FAR a better first baseman than Grinderstad. Just look at the improvement of Aramis Ramirez.

Injuries. No one would be stupid enough to question his defensive prowess. Plus, while I like Erstad he's a horrific offensive solution over at first (where I think its a near must to have a power hitter).

And I have heard many a former player comment on Erstad being the best in the biz (from Mark Grace to most of the experts on Baseball Tonight) to a couple people I know around baseball (and obviously Derek Lee is the other name that comes up).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Injuries. No one would be stupid enough to question his defensive prowess. Plus, while I like Erstad he's a horrific offensive solution over at first (where I think its a near must to have a power hitter).

And I have heard many a former player comment on Erstad being the best in the biz (from Mark Grace to most of the experts on Baseball Tonight) to a couple people I know around baseball (and obviously Derek Lee is the other name that comes up).

Baseball Tonight also claimed Ozuna as a starting caliber LF tonight.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Baseball Tonight also claimed Ozuna as a starting caliber LF tonight.

I saw them say how he has made an adjustment to the outfield (the segment where they were talking about guys moving from IF to OF) but nowhere in that segment did I ever see them claim he was a starting outfielder (however I may have missed an earlier segment that insinuated such).

But I want Ozuna starting at 2nd right now (I'm a big Ozuna guy because I think he does a lot of things that help teams win, more so at 2nd than LF). Especially if Zuna would start hitting more like he did the past two years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
I saw them say how he has made an adjustment to the outfield (the segment where they were talking about guys moving from IF to OF) but nowhere in that segment did I ever see them claim he was a starting outfielder (however I may have missed an earlier segment that insinuated such).

But I want Ozuna starting at 2nd right now (I'm a big Ozuna guy because I think he does a lot of things that help teams win, more so at 2nd than LF). Especially if Zuna would start hitting more like he did the past two years.

Whoops. I believe what they said was (paraphrasing) that "you don't lose anything defensively going to Ozuna in LF".

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
At this point, I am just happy getting W's. You take them any way you can get them.

With that said, playing like we have the last two nights is going to get us no where. I am rarely negitive after a win, but once agian, the pitching is just masking the offensive struggles.

The bats need to wake up, quick, because these types of games aren't going to work against the Yanks...

Who cares...no team is going to hit this bad all season. I'll take the pitching, you can buy bats a lot easier, plus there is no way Dye/Konerko stay this bad. I wouldn't be surprised if Crede struggled (wish he wouldn't, but I'm less confident about him) plus Thome should be fine and Pyrz has proven he's a pretty consistent .270 plus hitter (at the very least).

I'm impressed, they continue to find ways to win and have had great starting pitching and I expect us to get strong pitching all season and better offensive play and that is a recipe for a world series type of ball club.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:06 AM)

Had him played perfectly? They were playing at normal double play depth.

And the ball wasn't hit hard. Not at all. It didn't even get up off the grass. KC couldn't have asked for a better DP ball.