Juan Uribe

DBAHO

We all remember the Juan Uribe in 2004, in that 1st half of the season when he flew out of the blocks and was really a very good #2 hitter for us.

This season he sort of reminds me of that type of hitter. He should be motivated since it's a contract year, and he's already taken 9 walks in 27 games this season when he ONLY had 13 all of last season.

My question is, with the likes of Iguchi etc. not really grabbing a hold on that #2 spot and our offense struggling, if Uribe can keep hitting around the .260-.270 mark with some power, is he going to be able to stay in that spot? Or will his subpar OBP push him back down the lineup? I'd lean towards the latter scenario happening but with our offense the way it is, it wouldn't suprise me to see Uribe stick there for a while.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
We all remember the Juan Uribe in 2004, in that 1st half of the season when he flew out of the blocks and was really a very good #2 hitter for us.

This season he sort of reminds me of that type of hitter. He should be motivated since it's a contract year, and he's already taken 9 walks in 27 games this season when he ONLY had 13 all of last season.

My question is, with the likes of Iguchi etc. not really grabbing a hold on that #2 spot and our offense struggling, if Uribe can keep hitting around the .260-.270 mark with some power, is he going to be able to stay in that spot? Or will his subpar OBP push him back down the lineup? I'd lean towards the latter scenario happening but with our offense the way it is, it wouldn't suprise me to see Uribe stick there for a while.

Well this version of Uribe with the patience at the plate can bat 2. He should see a ton of fastballs with thome protecting him when he comes back.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 13, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
It's not his contract year!

Oops. Well he does have a $5M team option for 2008. So I mean it is "sort" of a contract year for him in terms of his future here, because if he put up an offensive season similar to last season, it would be hard to justify picking up that $5M option.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
He's better than Iguchi who just looks horrid right now.

I'm sort of wondering about Iguchi's long - term future here at the moment. I saw that Chris Burke got demoted to AAA, and he would be someone who could be an ideal #2 hitter for us in the years to come if we could acquire him on the cheap.

I want to sign Ichiro in the off-season though, and for that to happen our chances would increase if the Gooch stayed around here as well. So it's something KW's gotta weigh up here. Of course it's too early to make decisions about players etc. based on this season.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
He has a team option for 08.

If he keeps this up, he will stay in the 2-hole, and that option will be picked up. But that is a BIG IF, no a HUGE IF. Uribe is known as an incredibly streaky hitter.

His option will be picked up regardless. He adds an assload of value to a team thats built on pitching (especially with the Sox having a lot of ground ball pitchers). Plus you have the organizations lack of middle infield talent and the fact that they will already be looking for a replacement for Iguchi.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
I'm sort of wondering about Iguchi's long - term future here at the moment. I saw that Chris Burke got demoted to AAA, and he would be someone who could be an ideal #2 hitter for us in the years to come if we could acquire him on the cheap.

I want to sign Ichiro in the off-season though, and for that to happen our chances would increase if the Gooch stayed around here as well. So it's something KW's gotta weigh up here. Of course it's too early to make decisions about players etc. based on this season.

I know a lot of people here love Chris Burke, but why would the Sox be super interested in having a guy that can't cut it with a weak offensive team like the Astros (I think Burke is a very good defensive player and I don't mind his long term prognosis as a prospect, but by all means I don't necessarily consider him a sure fire answer for the 2 hole).

However I know I've cursed and thought Iguchi was done at other points of his brief career (because he can have such an ugly, long, slow swing but somehow has found a way to get by).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
He could stay in the 2 Hole for a bit just becasue of the lack of options we have, but it won't work for an extended amount of time. The low OBP will eventually show up from Uribe, and we already have enough problems getting guys on base.

He'll likely see a lot of fastballs, especially if the middle bats get going (plus insert a healthy Thome in there).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:16 AM)
His option will be picked up regardless. He adds an assload of value to a team thats built on pitching (especially with the Sox having a lot of ground ball pitchers). Plus you have the organizations lack of middle infield talent and the fact that they will already be looking for a replacement for Iguchi.

People have been wanting to boot Uribe out the door for the past couple winters. I really don't know why... there's no readily available option who is clearly better than Uribe. If that happened to show up, great, but that player better be a great defender. I don't think people understand just how many runs Uribe saves with his glove -- he's arguably the best defensive SS in the AL.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
People have been wanting to boot Uribe out the door for the past couple winters. I really don't know why... there's no readily available option who is clearly better than Uribe. If that happened to show up, great, but that player better be a great defender. I don't think people understand just how many runs Uribe saves with his glove -- he's arguably the best defensive SS in the AL.

I agree with you and to make an upgrade at SS not only do I want the guy to be good defensively, he needs to be a pretty darn good hitter (preferably a top of the order guy, simply because I always want Ozzie to have a couple speed options to keep him happy and prevent him from trying to have guys like Paulie or AJ stealing a few times a season).

So unless they are able to get a Furcal or Rollins (and financially those guys don't make sense) or even a Cabrera (whose a darn good 2 hole hitter) I don't really see an upgrade (barring Arod moving back to SS or us getting one of the other big bopping SS's, but again I don't see that making financial sense).

Basically put, I expect Juan to sign a multi year deal sometime this season (or off-season). I think the key will be Juan putting in the work (because we know despite the ocassional negative comment, both Ozzie and Kenny love Juan).

I think Uribe is going to have a huge season some year. There are only 2 AL SS with more RBI than him since 2004. The thing with him is, he will go into a slump eventually. That's when you move him out of the 2 hole. Iguchi is really struggling. Last year I mentioned trading him because something about him says to me when he falls apart, its going to be quick. When I was walking my dog around the field yesterday, Iguchi was in the dugout, and he's a lot thicker in person than he is on television. I think the extra weight has zapped some of his range. This could be his last year with the White Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if KW went after Grudz eventually. He can grind with the best of him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 12, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
I think Uribe is going to have a huge season some year. There are only 2 AL SS with more RBI than him since 2004. The thing with him is, he will go into a slump eventually. That's when you move him out of the 2 hole. Iguchi is really struggling. Last year I mentioned trading him because something about him says to me when he falls apart, its going to be quick. When I was walking my dog around the field yesterday, Iguchi was in the dugout, and he's a lot thicker in person than he is on television. I think the extra weight has zapped some of his range. This could be his last year with the White Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if KW went after Grudz eventually. He can grind with the best of him.

I'd love Grudz and Eckstein.

Grudz

Eckstein

Erstad

Mmhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)

I know a lot of people here love Chris Burke, but why would the Sox be super interested in having a guy that can't cut it with a weak offensive team like the Astros (I think Burke is a very good defensive player and I don't mind his long term prognosis as a prospect, but by all means I don't necessarily consider him a sure fire answer for the 2 hole).

However I know I've cursed and thought Iguchi was done at other points of his brief career (because he can have such an ugly, long, slow swing but somehow has found a way to get by).

Well I think you look at the situation Chris Burke's been put in. There was no way he was going to start at 2nd base over Craig Biggio, so long as Biggio is healthy. And really his numbers aren't all that bad. He's got a fairly solid OBP around the .340-.350 mark, and he offers you some good versatility and is a good defensive player like you've said.

My thinking is, if you could acquire him on the cheap e.g give up a Phillips plus a prospect who's not one of our real core guys, that's something I would seriously look at.

While the team is struggling offensively and Juan's one of the only hot hitters might as well have him near the top of the order. He's due for a career year where he shows vastly improved patience at the plate for longer stretches of time, instead of just being the streaky Juan we've know in the past.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 13, 2007 -> 04:07 AM)
I'd love Grudz and Eckstein.

Grudz

Eckstein

Erstad

Mmhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I would have to mute my TV forever if we got Eckstein. Hawk's love affair for him would make Erstad resemble Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
I'd hit Sweeney leadoff and Uribe #2 for a while with the way things are going right now. Hell, we can't be any worse on offense, try it.

Leave Sweeney in the 9 hole, absolutely no reason to put more pressure on the kid, especially considering that Erstad has been very good leading off. I will say that Juan in the 2 hole has always interested me, just because for whatever reason he seems to concentrate much more when he has a job to do.

Edited by Rowand44

I wonder if some of Iguchi's struggles come from trying to do to much when hitting lower in the order versus situational hitting at #2. His career USA stats in #2 are .276ba, .346obp, 2:1 so:w when hitting 6-8, in a small sample size, are .232 ba with 1w to 7k. I just remember him sucking last year in spring training when they tried to move him down. For now, I would probably ride the hot hand (Uribe) and try to give Iguchi some time off. (stats from baseball musings)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
Well I think you look at the situation Chris Burke's been put in. There was no way he was going to start at 2nd base over Craig Biggio, so long as Biggio is healthy. And really his numbers aren't all that bad. He's got a fairly solid OBP around the .340-.350 mark, and he offers you some good versatility and is a good defensive player like you've said.

My thinking is, if you could acquire him on the cheap e.g give up a Phillips plus a prospect who's not one of our real core guys, that's something I would seriously look at.

Well, Phillips isn't really a prospect. We would have to give them someone like Floyd or Broadway...I don't think they would take Haeger either.

As long as it's not Gio or Russell, it's a good deal, because we really need to replace Cintron and doing it with a younger and cheaper player with some upside is totally logical.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah yes, i have been saying it all along- ICHIRO

if they do not resign erstad, i would love to see them go after ichiro. now keep in mind ichiro is already 33 and will be 34 in october. maybe a 3 year 24 million or a 4 year 36 million dollar contract. i would love to see him in a white sox uniform

if we cant get ichiro, and if crede is gone, go after a-rod. see what we can do. lets spend some money, and actually get a well known mlb SUPERSTAR in chicago. im tired of everyone saying konerko isnt, even though he has 3 straight season of 40 homers/100 rbis and dye hitting 330 last year with 40 homers and 110 rbis.

come on KW, lets get ichiro or a-rod in the cell.