White Sox vs. Royals, 5/13/07 (L)

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
Dye-Konerko-Thome-Crede-Iguchi-AJ Perz are all above averegae hitters. The others maybe are average

What are the standards for being considered above average? I have a hard time stating that Crede and AJP are above average. Also, if you say they're above average, then guys like Pods, Uribe, and Erstad are below average.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Dye-Konerko-Thome-Crede-Iguchi-AJ Perz are all above averegae hitters. The others maybe are average

So let me get this straight. We cant fire walker because he is a great hitting coach, best in the league if you ask the sox.

We have these stellar hitters who suddenly as a group have decided not to hit.

So what is it. Slumps do not affect entire teams, and affect people for almost a month and a half. Hitting is an individual endevor. Sure a good hititng guy behind you can allow you to see better pitchers. But the rag tag group of Cy Young guys who have shut this team down have blown.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
What are the standards for being considered above average? I have a hard time stating that Crede and AJP are above average. Also, if you say they're above average, then guys like Pods, Uribe, and Erstad are below average.

You fill nine hitting positions on a team. You have to grade or evaluate them on how they perform against others in their specific position and keep in mind things like speed, defense, team player, etc,

Homers don't make the player by themselves. Crede has improved every year as a hitter. If this is a slump year for these guys then that's too bad it had to happen to all at one time, but tha's the nuances of the game. They can all get hot at the same time or break out of it individually and contribute to wins.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
So let me get this straight. We cant fire walker because he is a great hitting coach, best in the league if you ask the sox.

So what is it. Slumps do not affect entire teams, and affect people for almost a month and a half. Hitting is an individual endevor. Sure a good hititng guy behind you can allow you to see better pitchers. But the rag tag group of Cy Young guys who have shut this team down have blown.

The thing is, the at-bats are awful. I can hardly even think of any really hard outs we've hit into. If jphat was still around, not even he could say we're not getting lucky. If anything, the opposition has hit into a lot of hard hit outs lately in big spots.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Getting Jack Cust was a great move for Beane. Too bad he built such a weak offense...

I'd love to have Cust on this team, though. I guess our offense is good enough to get by Pob Mackzuna as our DH. Not like there's a guy out there who can play 1B/DH and who mashes lefties...

He ripped a crucial homer to RF (way back) off Sabathia the other night.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
You fill nine hitting positions on a team. You have to grade or evaluate them on how they perform against others in their specific position and keep in mind things like speed, defense, team player, etc,

Homers don't make the player by themselves. Crede has improved every year as a hitter. If this is a slump year for these guys then that's too bad it had to happen to all at one time, but tha's the nuances of the game. They can all get hot at the same time or break out of it individually and contribute to wins.

All the hitters slumped at once? If thats the case we need to check their betting activity because the probability of a team that slumped as a group that pretty much has the same characters here that scored 520 runs in the first half last year is remote. We heard weather, we heard the pucker factor, now its slump year.

Not quite sure how much longer Masset will be in the majors. His average stuff, combined with poor command, has made him a liability when he's out there. He's been bailed out a lot by relievers after him to avoid him having a huge ERA.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)

I have also believe and have heard that hitting is contagious. Our guys are not rag tag players. Part of the problem is they struggle and try to hard to improve and put alot of pressure on themselves. It's a vicious cycle when your not going well. I am not defending Walker by the way I think that's an issue for the team and management and they seem to thing Walker is doing good and give him their support.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
All the hitters slumped at once? If thats the case we need to check their betting activity because the probability of a team that slumped as a group that pretty much has the same characters here that scored 520 runs in the first half last year is remote. We heard weather, we heard the pucker factor, now its slump year.

Just thank your lucky stars we didn't give any contract extensions this offseason. Jermaine Dye has had two of the most memorable seasons I can ever remember for a Sox player, but I would cry if we locked him up to 3 more years at 35 million.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)

Anthing can happen anytime, anwhere to anyone. It did here. I believe that and it's something you just have to think will correct itself.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
I have also believe and have heard that hitting is contagious. Our guys are not rag tag players. Part of the problem is they struggle and try to hard to improve and put alot of pressure on themselves. It's a vicious cycle when your not going well. I am not defending Walker by the way I think that's an issue for the team and management and they seem to thing Walker is doing good and give him their support.

Walker is close friends with Ozzie....we saw how much safety that gives you last year with Cora.

Iguchi = worst player in baseball this year.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)

The hitting is contagious is one of the most overused comments in baseball. Hitting is not a disease, that gets passed around from hitter to hitter. Hitting is a very individual thing. Situations, counts, and that can help you get better pitches. THese guys are seeing good pitches. They are not doing anything with it. You want to know how they get back out of this. Start trying to hit line drives, and go back up the middle and to right. The more they sit up there and try and it cars on the Dan Ryan the more this team is going to slump against low and away.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
Walker is close friends with Ozzie....we saw how much safety that gives you last year with Cora.

Iguchi = worst player in baseball this year.

So is Baines and others. Close friend or not to me it's called supporting and believing in the whole team regardless

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
The hitting is contagious is one of the most overused comments in baseball. Hitting is not a disease, that gets passed around from hitter to hitter. Hitting is a very individual thing. Situations, counts, and that can help you get better pitches. THese guys are seeing good pitches. They are not doing anything with it. You want to know how they get back out of this. Start trying to hit line drives, and go back up the middle and to right. The more they sit up there and try and it cars on the Dan Ryan the more this team is going to slump against low and away.

It's only an overused phrase it it isn't happening to you right now :D

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
So is Baines and others. Close friend or not to me it's called supporting and believing in the whole team regardless

If the reports are true and Walker feels like a big part of his job is mentally supporting these players, then that's a sad testament to the fragile psyche of these guys. I'm sure we'll hear Iguchi whining soon about how he wants to be hitting 2nd in the lineup.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 13, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)

On the northside they print Believe wristbands, how does that help them year to year.

THis is a business. Von Joshua and Gary Ward never had a team look this bad from the Batting standpoint. Why are they not still here?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
If the reports are true and Walker feels like a big part of his job is mentally supporting these players, then that's a sad testament to the fragile psyche of these guys. I'm sure we'll hear Iguchi whining soon about how he wants to be hitting 2nd in the lineup.

I am sure Ozzie tries to chip and help too, but problem is no one can understand him :)