More proof that Ozzie is an idiot

fathom

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
Slightly different wording in the Sun-Times:

Over 2005-2006, Uribe's struck out once every 6 abs. In May, he's striking out once every 8 abs. I don't think Ozzie's saying that strikeouts are always and everywhere a 2-spot disqualifier, rather that when Uribe is being his usual impatient self, you see a bunch of strikeouts, and the lack of those now are a sign of his current approach at the plate...who knows how long it will last.

And I'm usually up for some good Ozzie criticism, but imho this is an overreaction. If anything, I'm relieved to know that the Sox aren't going to try to revive the Uribe hitting 2nd experiment.

I actually always thought putting Uribe in the 2nd spot could help him, as not only would he see more fastballs if Pods was on base, but he'd also get more fastballs with Thome behind him. Besides that, if he had to try and hit behind the runner, it would make him focus more on hitting the ball to the right side. I always thought Iguchi would be better down in the order, but unfortunately, he's been crappy this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
That was the smallest point in my post, but Ozuna is much faster, and people seem to be forgetting that Terrero had a horrible read and late break on Dye's single, making it much closer than it should have been at the plate (I know it wasn't that close, but if that throw doesn't die when it hits the turf, it would have been).

Horrible read? He had to make sure the ball got by Grudzielanek. In the end he scored quite easily, so what does it matter?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Horrible read? He had to make sure the ball got by Grudzielanek. In the end he scored quite easily, so what does it matter?

I swear, that on the replay, the pitcher deflected that ball. I thought it was great base running by Terrero.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 14, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
I swear, that on the replay, the pitcher deflected that ball. I thought it was great base running by Terrero.

Duckworth was a little late on it and missed it completely, but it did have a little curve on it as it went into the outfield. I was a little surprised Grudz was playing that far into the hole.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
I actually always thought putting Uribe in the 2nd spot could help him, as not only would he see more fastballs if Pods was on base, but he'd also get more fastballs with Thome behind him. Besides that, if he had to try and hit behind the runner, it would make him focus more on hitting the ball to the right side. I always thought Iguchi would be better down in the order, but unfortunately, he's been crappy this year.

I imagine it might help him, I just don't see it helping the team much. I'd always rather have those obp guys at the top. But if he keeps producing, I wouldn't mind if the Sox let it ride.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 14, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
I imagine it might help him, I just don't see it helping the team much. I'd always rather have those obp guys at the top. But if he keeps producing, I wouldn't mind if the Sox let it ride.

Who exactly would that be this season?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Who exactly would that be this season?

The age-old dilemma -- to answer or not answer the rhetorical question? :P

Iguchi'll revert. If we structured the lineup according to this year's numbers, Pods would hit 3rd on his return.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Duckworth was a little late on it and missed it completely, but it did have a little curve on it as it went into the outfield. I was a little surprised Grudz was playing that far into the hole.

There's one angle that made it seem like Duckworth definitely deflected the ball.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
That was the smallest point in my post, but Ozuna is much faster, and people seem to be forgetting that Terrero had a horrible read and late break on Dye's single, making it much closer than it should have been at the plate (I know it wasn't that close, but if that throw doesn't die when it hits the turf, it would have been).

Freeze. On. A. Line. Drive.

Uribe is not a #2 hitter. But Tererro over Sweeney baffles me in every phase of the mind. It baffles me more than the question, "Just how big is the universe?" or "What if there was no universe?" or "What is the meaning of life?" or "Is there a God?" or "What if Earth broke away from its current gravetational pull around the sun?" or "What is the fastest possible speed?" or "Did I turn the oven off?" I just don't get it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
He did freeze. And freeze. And freeze. And freeze. And freeze. And then he FINALLY took off way way late, however his speed and the poor throw made up for it.

So he froze 50 times and still scored with ease, that's interesting. He must run a 2.43 40 yard dash.

There were no outs. You freeze on the liner, and even if he's held at third (which i thought initially he would be, no problem there), there's still what, an 80-90 percent chance we win the game from a pure statistical standpoint?

He ran the bases pretty much by the book there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
He did freeze. And freeze. And freeze. And freeze. And freeze. And then he FINALLY took off way way late, however his speed and the poor throw made up for it.

From the replays, he initially froze when it went by the pitcher, then again when it went past the 2nd baseman, which would be a normal reaction on a line shot like that.