Official Save Sweeney and Boot Terrero thread

wilmot825

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)
I very much believe Ryan will stick around.

Don't be so sure, Ozzie's comments after today almost make it seem like he's coming up with any bulls*** reason he can think of to keep Terrero on the team. It's going to get very ugly around here if Sweeney does get sent down.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Don't be so sure, Ozzie's comments after today almost make it seem like he's coming up with any bulls*** reason he can think of to keep Terrero on the team. It's going to get very ugly around here if Sweeney does get sent down.

Oh. I didn't hear what he said today.

Well if that's the case than this is the TNA Wrestling of baseball. Everyone's gotta play, we can't hurt anyone's feelings, nobody loses.

Ozzie is way to loyal to guys like Mack and Ozuna. That's the problem in and of itself. He feels like they gotta play, so we can't have Sweeney taking their at-bats since the DH spot won't be open to rotate those guys into.

And yes, if he gets sent down and he's still contributing on offense there should be anger and some questions being answered.

After todays performance I wouldn't mind Massett getting sent down.

I'd actually like him to get a chance to start. Put him in the rotation down in Charlotte.

If Ryan Sweeney gets sent down, it shows that Ozzie Guillen has complete control over this club.

Ryan Sweeney needs to stay up on this Major League roster, he's pretty much the only spark in this anemic line-up.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
I would keep both of them and send down either Logan or Masset.

Why? You don't need both of them. Masset doesn't need to go down either, because who fills your long relief then? Mike Mac? No way, especially given his sporratic pitching of late.

Ozzies bulls*** reason was that (more or less) because of the way Terrero scored from second Saturday night, that is why he loves him and wants him to stay up. I call bulls*** on this one. For one, he got a LATE ASS break on the play and Teahan's throw just happened to be off the mark. He very easily could have been thrown out as well.

Furthermore, I would go as far as to say that Sweeney would have also been able to get there from second as well.

I don't want to keep Terrero up and let the Mac/Pablo disaster take over in left, only to have a bench guy who has contributed nothing (other than a solo home run) since he came up.

Keep your outfielder of the future up, getting some time and experience...

Why does Sweeney get a free pass from everybody for his lousy at bat today

with the bases loaded against DeLaRosito Stiffmeister?

I like Sweeney, but if he launches a double there instead of ending the inning with

the bases loaded, we probably get our heads out of our butts and win the game.

The Royals suck. Not winning all three is an atrocity and shows again why it's going to

be tough to play with Detroit and Cleveland. In this tough division we need to win all

our home games against KC, truly a minor league team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:44 AM)

I like Sweeney, but if he launches a double there instead of ending the inning with

The Royals suck. Not winning all three is an atrocity and shows again why it's going to

be tough to play with Detroit and Cleveland. In this tough division we need to win all

With our injuries, Kansas City has just as good of an offense as we do right now in terms of talent. We could have easily lost all three games this series....be happy with the series win, and move on to the next series. It doesn't matter though, because if our offense continues to struggle, we have no prayer this season.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)

I like Sweeney, but if launches a double there instead of ending the inning with

You blame a rookie for having a good AB but ultimately popping out? He was putting some good swings on the ball. You can't expect him to launch a double with the bases loaded and two outs, and also automatically win the game.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Iguchi for looking at strike 3 with only one out. If Iguchi just gets a little hit, that takes away so much pressure off of Sweeney.

That is one of the more stupid things I have read today.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)

No one is giving him a free pass. But to call him out for sucking in a clutch situation is wrong, simply because there is not a person on this team coming through in those situations. Hell, Elarton got let off last night with bases loaded twice, with Mack grounding out and I think Erstad popping out.

This whole team is having lousy at bats. But right now, Sweeney is one of the ONLY ones patiently going up to the plate with some sort of approach. Taking pitches, being smart, and just trying to get base hits. Meanwhile, most of the rest of these stiffs are stuck in Tuesday night softball mode, swinging for the fences with every possible effort. Then we get to hear excuses like "they are trying TOO hard" or "they are putting too much pressure on themselves." Its crap. Mechanically, most of our team looks like s*** right now and that is why none of them are getting good at bats.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, if Sweeney is sent down, you have to point the finger at KW. Since he is the one making all those major decisions on who stays and ho gos...

...and when he gets buried by Guillen by sitting him on the bench, people are going to b**** about him not playing everyday and how it would be better to send him down. It'll be just like Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
...and when he gets buried by Guillen by sitting him on the bench, people are going to b**** about him not playing everyday and how it would be better to send him down. It'll be just like Brian Anderson.

It's just a lose-lose, isn't it?

If you want to blame anyone, blame Iguchi for looking at strike 3 with only one out. If Iguchi just gets a little hit, that takes away so much pressure off of Sweeney.

Iguchi's at bat was just as horrific, more horrific as you say.

I can't believe he looked at that curveball.

With two strikes, our guys need to bat like Polanco of the Tigers. He makes contact and

puts the ball in play.

But I was responding in a Sweeney thread.

He is a rookie but the Royals are a minor league team. Was I asking too much of Sweeney

to line a single in that situation? Look at DeLaRosa's stats his previous game.

He is no Sandy Koufax.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)

Even when Thome returns, Sweeney should continue to start. When Pods is ready to return in 2009, then we can send Sweeney down if he hasn't earned the spot.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
Even when Thome returns, Sweeney should continue to start. When Pods is ready to return in 2009, then we can send Sweeney down if he hasn't earned the spot.

That's absolutely true. But I don't see Ozzie doing it. He'll want to find a spot for Ozuna (cause of his mad skillz on the bases) and he's clearly not comfortable starting Sweeney in front of Mack for an extended period of time. Plus he really likes Terrero. It's possible someone (either Ozzie or KW) does decide to keep Sweeney up, but Ozzie clearly isn't big on rookie position players after his experience with Anderson.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
If Ozzie prefers Terrero over Sweeney, then those age-old conspiracies are going to start flowing again.

Ozzie loves pinch runners.

''We saw why we need Terrero,'' Guillen said of his 10th-inning performance, running for Paul Konerko and scoring the deciding run. ''We could move Darin Erstad to first [for Konerko] and keep Terrero in center [had the game gone longer]. That's one of the reasons I love this kid.

''But Sweeney has shown he can play. I don't think he's 100 percent ready, but he's handling it real well. He's patient and takes pitches and gives me good at-bats. He shows me he plays good outfield and can play three positions out there. There are so many things he can bring to us. But in the meantime, what do we need?''

He answered his own question. We need guys who can take pitches and give good ABs. We dont need pinch runners. We have plenty on this team.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
I thought I had read this somewhere but would Terrero have to pass through waivers to get sent down? That seems like a big factor in deciding which guy goes down. Sweeney can be brought up and sent down with no problem.

I'm pretty sure the Sox signed him to a minor league deal @ the start of the season, so they should be able to send him up and down without worrying about the waiver wires.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 14, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
I'm pretty sure the Sox signed him to a minor league deal @ the start of the season, so they should be able to send him up and down without worrying about the waiver wires.

I thought it had something to do with him being out of options. :huh

Terrero has already passed through waivers once this season, if they want to send him down he'll have to pass through them again since he's on the 40 and out of options.

He'll pass with ease and if he doesn't, oh well Luis Terrero's are a dime a dozen. Hell the Sox currently have 2 Luis Terrero's broadcasting the games for them and McKay Christensen, Jeff Abbot and Brian Simmons certainly aren't doing anything these days. I'm sure they'd be willing to pinch run for Ozzie.