When can I start getting aggravated??

gosox41

I'm really frustrated about this team's lack of hitting. Outside of Erstad and maybe Uribe, who of the healthy players is consistently helping offensively.

This is pathetic. It's worse then that. 20% of the season is gone and 2 of our 3 big boppers are hitting about .200, Crede is sucking wind making some wonder whether the second half of '05 and all of 06 was a fluke or not.

Sure losing Pods hurts a little and losing Thome hurts a lot. But, man this is beyond bad. I know good hitting (and good pitching) our contaigous (or so they say) so does bad hitting have to be contaigous too?

There's no doubt the players are trying their best so I'm not questioning that. Effort isn't an issue. Sucky perfomance by proven vets is. It's one thing to have a few guys in the everyday line up not hitting, but it's like 2/3 of the line up blows right now. Why? Is JD trying to hit 7 run home runs because PK isn't hitting? That's not how it works.

It's one thing for the Sox to struggle, but their offensive stats are beyond struggling. They're bad. A team BA under .230 into over 20% of the season---crappy. A .302 team OBP? Beyond laughable. That OBP is a good year for Uribe and is stil .033 below the league average.

It's time for this to end. It's time for the vets to start actng like vets and lead this team by action. That goes for PK and JD. It's not Walker's fault a team ful of vets all suck at once. If these were young hitters struggling I'd understand but this goes beyond a hitting coach blowing off his job so that the vets are all lost at sea.

This team should be ahead of the Tigers, if they were averaging as many runs per game as last season. But it's not like we're .5 or 1 run worse. They fell off a cliff.

How much team do you give these guys to turn it around before something happens. I think they will hit, but I've been thinking that since April 2 and am still waiting. If this keeps up too long, we'll be out of it. I'm guess by the end of the year the team pitching staff has an ERA above 4, which is higher then it is now.

I hope things change soon or else it's going to be a long summer.

Bob

Not yet. The Sox took the last three series. If the slump continues and we start losing three and four series in a row, then it is time to get pissed. For now, just be thankful we are still winning ball games and are sticking with the division leaders. Once everyone gets healthy and opposing pitchers have to pitch to our complete line-up, things will turn around. Promise.

:pray:

The Cubs are coming up. There is no better slump buster in the majors than batting against their starters in Wrigley. :cheers

Edited by My Dixie Normus

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 14, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
Didn't Cle lose 2 out of 3 against Anaheim and the A's? The Sox won those series, it might not have been pretty, but they're winning games

and they split a 4-game series with Baltimore, so they are 4-6 in their last 10.

Minnesota has lost its last 4 series (4-8).

Edited by RME JICO

So, you are aggravated about an underachieving team that is two games over .500 and 4 games back of 1st place in Mid-May?

I'm thanking my lucky stars that they aren't in last place the way they've been hitting. But they aren't. So, let's see how this goes.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
So, you are aggravated about an underachieving team that is two games over .500 and 4 games back of 1st place in Mid-May?

I'm thanking my lucky stars that they aren't in last place the way they've been hitting. But they aren't. So, let's see how this goes.

I would say it is more frustration than anything. The pitching has carried this team thus far, and it could be a lot worse if the pitching wasn't so strong. However, just think how good this team would be if the hitting was just average.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
I would say it is more frustration than anything. The pitching has carried this team thus far, and it could be a lot worse if the pitching wasn't so strong. However, just think how good this team would be if the hitting was just average.

Of course...but personally, I think it's a lot easier to come out of a hitting slump than it is a pitching slump. All it takes is one game of good at-bats and that can change a hitter's approach/give him confidence. Maybe not every hitter on the Sox will pull out of their slump, but I would imagine a few will (Kong, Dye and Iguchi come to mind).

i'm still optimistic that this team will start hitting. now the key is to keep the pitching going when the offense picks up. that was the problem last year. when the offense was clicking the pitchers were getting shelled and when our pitchers were on, our offense was nowhere to be seen. let's get both on the same page for once.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 14, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Of course...but personally, I think it's a lot easier to come out of a hitting slump than it is a pitching slump. All it takes is one game of good at-bats and that can change a hitter's approach/give him confidence. Maybe not every hitter on the Sox will pull out of their slump, but I would imagine a few will (Kong, Dye and Iguchi come to mind).

I agree. I just think the length of the slump and the number of players affected is absolutely mind boggling. Especially when you consider that Dye and Iguchi are in contract years. I believe they will break out soon.

Also, I didn't realize it, but could some of this be associated with the amount of new pitchers the Sox have faced thus far? I know it sounds like an excuse, but the last thing a struggling hitter needs is an unfamiliar pitcher to face, or one that he struggles with anyway (CC, Johan).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)

Well, I'm still aggravated. It's frustrating to see so much of our lineup flounder like this.

Even so, you're right. It could be much worse. Your post reminds me of how I sometimes felt watching Bulls games in the early 90's. They could have the occasional first half where they would be just awful, missing shots, turning the ball over, making dumb decisions, and so on. But at the half, they'd only be down 8 or 9 points. In the second half, they'd play as well as they were supposed to, and they'd win the game handily.

Hopefully, the Sox can stay close while the offense sucks. If and when it starts to click, it's going to be a lot more fun to watch!