Mark Loretta

Chris Woodward

Recently Optioned Players (trade):

Chris Burke

Jorge Cantu

Organizational Players:

Andy Gonzalez

Christopher Getz

So the list looks pretty thin if the Sox intend to replace Iguchi. The way Gooch has looked on offense and defense, any of these guys could be an upgrade. What do you guys think, will the Sox resign Gooch or will they go in another direction?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus Giles has a $4M team option for next year that will almost certainly be picked up. Kent also has a $7M team option which vests at $9M with 550 PA this season so I doubt either of them hit free agency.

Luis Castillo would be a fantastic pickup though. He's an excellent hitter who could thrive in the 2 hole with his consistently high OBP and ~20 stolen bases.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Luis Castillo would be a fantastic pickup though. He's an excellent hitter who could thrive in the 2 hole with his consistently high OBP and ~20 stolen bases.

i would love to have him too but isnt he somewhat injury prone?

Edited by Melissa1334

Statistically speaking, Kent would be great, although I've heard or read cases of him being a real ass where-ever he goes.

Burke would be nice, but even he's no guarantee. He'd be an upgrade defensively and you can probably get by with him for a year or two, but I can't see him doing that much better than his line of last year (.276/.347/.418). He seems logical to go after, though -- he'd improve the Sox' bench this season and would give the Sox a reasonably decent 2B option for next year if something better doesn't present itself.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
i would love to have him too but isnt he somewhat injury prone?

He's had 600+ PA in 6 of the last 7 seasons. Even if he does tend to get banged up he still produces at a high level and doesn't miss games. So it's not a big concern to me.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
Statistically speaking, Kent would be great, although I've heard or read cases of him being a real ass where-ever he goes.

I don't think Kent is the sort of player KW and Ozzie would look to bring in, by all indications he's a complete asshole and not in the AJ Pierzynski sense. Kent just sort of hates everyone. I doubt he hits free agency anyway all he needs is 400 more PA this year and his $9M team option for next season becomes guaranteed.

The problem with Castillo is that he is declining and he is a product of the Twins' home field.

This year he has a .333 OBP on Grass, but last year it was .369. Of course even with that OBP his OPS was barely over .700. He'd be like like another Grinderstad who walks a little more.

Well Castillo has a career .296/.372/.357/.729 line on grass which is actually better than his numbers on turf. Just looking at his numbers I don't see that big of an effect from turf .296/.387/.368/.755 on grass in '05 before leaving Florida.

He's had a .700+ OPS each of the last 5 seasons. .300/.355/.375 is perfectly acceptable from a 2B especially one who's going to steal about 20 bases a season with pretty solid defense. When you're getting that from the corner outfielder is when it becomes a problem.

You can't look at Castillo's career numbers at this point. It's just like looking at Grinderstad's.

He only stole 10 bases in 2005 (with 7 CS,) so he not quite a lock for 20 SB's. People said the same thing about Grinderstad.

He's not a bad option for second base next year, but I'm not going to make him priority #1, throw the world at him, or give him a 3 year contract.

Give gooch time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Marcus Giles has a $4M team option for next year that will almost certainly be picked up. Kent also has a $7M team option which vests at $9M with 550 PA this season so I doubt either of them hit free agency.

Agreed. Iguchi to me looks 100% lost at the plate. Its like he cant decide if hes goin to be a right handed pull power hitter or the situational hitter the ball to all directions hitter that made him a success here. In any event he looks like me at the plate in little league when I was 10; stepping in the bucket, grounding out to 3rd all the time, long flaly swing. Either way there is really no tolerance for this garbage at the big league level. You got something to figure out then u can do so on another team or in AAA. I would love to bring in the switch hitting castillo.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Luis Castillo and Grudzelanick seem like the best fits. Both would be like 2 year contracts probably atmost but in that time I think both would be good too.

Hell...Grudzielanek could probably be had right now. Friggin' Gooch is just completely pissin' me off this year.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
Agreed. Iguchi to me looks 100% lost at the plate. Its like he cant decide if hes goin to be a right handed pull power hitter or the situational hitter the ball to all directions hitter that made him a success here. In any event he looks like me at the plate in little league when I was 10; stepping in the bucket, grounding out to 3rd all the time, long flaly swing. Either way there is really no tolerance for this garbage at the big league level. You got something to figure out then u can do so on another team or in AAA. I would love to bring in the switch hitting castillo.

all i know is that i dont want the same exact lineup we have this year, next year

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)
You can't look at Castillo's career numbers at this point. It's just like looking at Grinderstad's.

He only stole 10 bases in 2005 (with 7 CS,) so he not quite a lock for 20 SB's. People said the same thing about Grinderstad.

He's not a bad option for second base next year, but I'm not going to make him priority #1, throw the world at him, or give him a 3 year contract.

Give gooch time.

2005 was more of an anomaly than anything else, he had some nagging injuries that year that slowed him down, he missed more games that year (40) than he did any other year of his career. 2005 was the only year since '99 that he didn't steal 20 bags. He swiped 25 in an injury free season last year so I fail to see why one year with some nagging injuries means he's not good for something he's done every other year outside the one.

I just don't see where the turf becomes a problem, he's put up the same consistent numbers for most of his career while not playing on turf. Now that he's playing all of his home games on carpet he's putting up similar numbers to what he did at Pro Player, there's just no correlation between turf and success that I'm seeing.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 14, 2007 -> 06:39 PM)
i would love to have grudzielanek. at least then he couldnt kill us where-ever he goes, and also he hits very well at the cell
I like I Iguchi he is kind of streaky but if we talk about Iguchi replacements lets talk about replacing Crede, Konerko, Dye, Makoviac and Cintron. Each is hitting less than Tadahito....... None of our hitters have a clue.. I wonder if the coaching staff particularly the hitting coach has a part in this dilemna...

QUOTE(forrestg @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:05 PM)
I like I Iguchi he is kind of streaky but if we talk about Iguchi replacements lets talk about replacing Crede, Konerko, Dye, Makoviac and Cintron. Each is hitting less than Tadahito....... None of our hitters have a clue.. I wonder if the coaching staff particularly the hitting coach has a part in this dilemna...

Konerko is under contract for a few more years and will not be traded any time soon so it wouldn't make much sense to talk about replacing him.

There is a good chance Mackowiak, Cintron and Crede all get replaced this offseason mainly due to financial constraints. Dye is a free agent and will probably be replaced by Sweeney, so there's your replacement for Dye. The outfield is kind of a clusterf*** for the future, no one really knows who will be out there come next season. Could be Sweeney, Erstad, Dye or it could be FREE AGENT, FREE AGENT, SWEENEY. So that discussion wouldn't last long.

Iguchi is a free agent after this season, will be getting a chance to test free agency, will be 33 next year and has been absolutely horrid this season. There's a pretty damn good chance Iguchi gets replaced this offseason, I really don't see how a discussion that we had on the board just 2 months ago is suddenly taboo now that we're 1.5 months in and the player in question is playing like s***.

QUOTE(forrestg @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)

It makes perfect sense to talk about Iguchi's replacement right now, because Tad is a FA at the end of this season, and we have no logical candidate to replace him next season. JD is a FA, but we at least have Ryan Sweeney waiting around for that spot next season.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
This guy might be available:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6798

Are you kiddingn? You think the Braves will be stupid enough to let him walk if he keeps this up? :P

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
It makes perfect sense to talk about Iguchi's replacement right now, because Tad is a FA at the end of this season, and we have no logical candidate to replace him next season. JD is a FA, but we at least have Ryan Sweeney waiting around for that spot next season.

Are you kiddingn? You think the Braves will be stupid enough to let him walk if he keeps this up? :P

Yeah, 2B and one 1-2 OF positions seem to be the question marks for 2008. I doubt the Sox will go with 3 young players in the outfield, and Sweeney seems to have one of those spots locked up (right now), so at least one will go to a vet (Erstad/Dye).

Yeah I was kidding. I thought it was funny that he was batting better than anyone our team, but I am sure that will eventually go back to normal. (( :ph34r: ))

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
Right now, I wouldn't mind KW really trying to turn this team into the twins by either signing Hunter or Castillo, or even both! :o

I wonder how much that would cost? Trade Crede for Figgins+ (bring up Fields) , don't resign Dye, Gooch, Erstad or Pods.

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Castillo

SS - Uribe

3B - Fields

RF - Sweeney

CF - Hunter

LF - Anderson

DH - Thome

Bench - Figgins, Hall, Mackowiak, Ozuna, and someone other than Cintron

Edited by RME JICO