2nd Baseman Options 2008

RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
I wonder how much that would cost? Trade Crede for Figgins+ (bring up Fields) , don't resign Dye, Gooch, Erstad or Pods.

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Castillo

SS - Uribe

3B - Fields

RF - Sweeney

CF - Hunter

LF - Anderson

DH - Thome

Bench - Figgins, Hall, Mackowiak, Ozuna, and someone other than Cintron

That isn't a very impressive lineup. I sincerely doubt we will go with a rookie 3B, a 2nd year OF and a 3rd year OF hated by our manager next year.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 14, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
That isn't a very impressive lineup. I sincerely doubt we will go with a rookie 3B, a 2nd year OF and a 3rd year OF hated by our manager next year.

The only reason to trade for Figgins is to make him a starter at 2B or 3B, probably 2B with Fields. We need to inject some more speed and explosiveness into our line-up somewhere.

The Royals have an option ranging from $4.0-4.5 million for 2008 on Grudzielanek.

Finally, Castillo has really been beaten up playing on that hard turf at the HHH Metrodoom. He's to the point where he needs to rest at least a couple of times per week, especially when they're playing a long home series.

Signing him when the Twins took him would have been great, but we're a couple of years too late. The Twins will go with Alex Casillas there soon enough.

And someone's fixing to overpay for Hunter. He just had 7 RBI's last night and he will get a $12-13 million dollar deal for 3-4 seasons from some overzealous team. I highly doubt it will be the White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

Torii Hunter is going to kill some team this offseason. He's going to get a 4-5 year contract along with $10M+ a year and he'll be an average deteriorating player over the course of the deal.

KW is not dumb enough to throw that much money at an aging defender and average offensive player.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Castillo

SS - Uribe

3B - Fields

RF - Sweeney

CF - Hunter

LF - Anderson

DH - Thome

i wouldnt like that too much...

i think its going to cost more than 12 mill to sign hunter.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder how much that would cost? Trade Crede for Figgins+ (bring up Fields) , don't resign Dye, Gooch, Erstad or Pods.

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Castillo

SS - Uribe

3B - Fields

RF - Sweeney

CF - Hunter

LF - Anderson

DH - Thome

Bench - Figgins, Hall, Mackowiak, Ozuna, and someone other than Cintron

how about this for a batting order for 2008

CF ichiro

LF erstad

DH thome

1B konerko

RF dye

C pierzynski

2B iguchi

SS uribe

3B fields

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)

CF ichiro

LF erstad

DH thome

1B konerko

RF dye

C pierzynski

2B iguchi

SS uribe

3B fields

I want no part of Darin Erstad for $6M or Jermaine for the ~$10M he's going to get. That's a $30M+ outfield right there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
I want no part of Darin Erstad for $6M or Jermaine for the ~$10M he's going to get. That's a $30M+ outfield right there.

i agree(although i dont think, even with the year hes having, that erstad will get 6 mill)

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)

CF ichiro

LF erstad

DH thome

1B konerko

RF dye

C pierzynski

2B iguchi

SS uribe

3B fields

what i dont like is that, with the exception of ichiro, its the same old lineup ;)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree(although i dont think, even with the year hes having, that erstad will get 6 mill)

what i dont like is that, with the exception of ichiro, its the same old lineup ;)

yea except ichiro is like a whole new dimension. i know as of now he's only batting around 275 or so, but u know he will heat up, and end at 330ish

then maybe we can get him for like 3 years or 4 years, and a contract around 35 mill, and then try to get torii hunter for whatever left over money we have

so lets say we get ichiro and torii and resign buehrle. heres the order

RF ichiro

2B iguchi

DH thome

1B konerko

CF torii hunter

C pierzynski

SS uribe

LF sweeney

3B fields

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)

It doesn't really matter what you think he's worth, if you want to keep Erstad around past this season he's going to cost you either $3.5M or $6M depending on whether he has 600 PA this year or not that is what his contract stipulates.

I really think he'll make it to 600 PA, that one big injury just doesn't seem like it's coming and you know Ozzie will leave him at the top of the lineup no matter how incompetent he is come September.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
yea except ichiro is like a whole new dimension. i know as of now he's only batting around 275 or so, but u know he will heat up, and end at 330ish

then maybe we can get him for like 3 years or 4 years, and a contract around 35 mill, and then try to get torii hunter for whatever left over money we have

so lets say we get ichiro and torii and resign buehrle. heres the order

RF ichiro

2B iguchi

DH thome

1B konerko

CF torii hunter

C pierzynski

SS uribe

LF sweeney

3B fields

Contreras, Garland, MacDougal, Thornton, Vazquez, Hall, Pierz, Konerko, Ozuna, Thome = $70.625 Guaranteed.

Uribe = $5M

Cintron = $2M

Mack = $3.25

-----

$10.25M in options/arb

-----

$80.875M

Ichiro = $14M

Iguchi = $4M

Buehrle = $15M

Hunter = $12M

-----

$45M in Free Agent signings

-----

$125.875M before youngsters

-----

others = $2.66M

-----

$128.535M Total

There isn't enough money.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)

The year he's having is a .250 batting average, a .297 OBP and .643 OPS. He is not having a good year. And Kalapse is right, all signs point to Erstad being the Sox $6M dollar starting CF in 2008 (it's in his contract -- he's going to get the 600 PAs). BTW Erstad is hitting .107 against LHP. You would think a manager that wasn't unconscious would at least platoon Erstad. Anyway, if Erstad is starting in 2008 the Sox will be a bad, bad team. $6M for a .650 OPS outfielder. Geez.....

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Contreras, Garland, MacDougal, Thornton, Vazquez, Hall, Pierz, Konerko, Ozuna, Thome = $70.625 Guaranteed.

Uribe = $5M

Cintron = $2M

Mack = $3.25

-----

$10.25M in options/arb

-----

$80.875M

Ichiro = $14M

Iguchi = $4M

Buehrle = $15M

Hunter = $12M

-----

$45M in Free Agent signings

-----

$125.875M before youngsters

-----

others = $2.66M

-----

$128.535M Total

There isn't enough money.

well to save some money, we could get rid of iguchi and put ozuna there, and also get rid of cintron. he is horse-$***

and i said maybe both hunter and ichiro. obviously both would be awesome, but prolly wont happen. ill take either one at this point

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
well to save some money, we could get rid of iguchi and put ozuna there, and also get rid of cintron. he is horse-$***

and i said maybe both hunter and ichiro. obviously both would be awesome, but prolly wont happen. ill take either one at this point

The thing about Hunter and Ichiro is the money won't be too far off for both and Ichiro is 10X the player Hunter ever has or ever will be and fits this team perfectly. Torii is a slightly above average offensive player who's body is falling apart, he's already lost a few steps in CF anymore and he's going to be Griffey out there. No way is he worth $10M+ over 4 years, I'd rather go after *gulp* Rowand.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing about Hunter and Ichiro is the money won't be too far off for both and Ichiro is 10X the player Hunter ever has or ever will be and fits this team perfectly. Torii is a slightly above average offensive player who's body is falling apart, he's already lost a few steps in CF anymore and he's going to be Griffey out there. No way is he worth $10M+ over 4 years, I'd rather go after *gulp* Rowand.

torii hunter...losing a step? no. 6 straight gold gloves and that play he made vs us on uribe with the bases loaded speaks for itself

as for ichiro, i wouldnt say hes 10x the offensive player torii hunter is. maybe was, but is, no. torii hunter is rollin this year offensively, with 8 homers and 29 rbis and a 325 batting average, and even swiping 7 bases. i dont know, maybe i would take ichiro, but torii is a close 2nd

Edited by briguy27

I forgot about Rowand... yeah, he will likely be heading back to the south side next season. This is probably just another contract year season to, and when he gets a pretty good sized contract from us, he will revert back to his usual self.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
torii hunter...losing a step? no. 6 straight gold gloves and that play he made vs us on uribe with the bases loaded speaks for itself

as for ichiro, i wouldnt say hes 10x the offensive player torii hunter is. maybe was, but is, no. torii hunter is rollin this year offensively, with 8 homers and 29 rbis and a 325 batting average, and even swiping 7 bases. i dont know, maybe i would take ichiro, but torii is a close 2nd

Yeah because he's earned those last few gold gloves right? At a certain point you stop winning awards based on merit and you begin winning them on reputation, Torii has reached that point. He plays deeper in CF than any other player you're ever going to see so those plays he doesn't get to in front of him you don't bat an eye, it looks like a normal basehit to shallow center but most centerfielders are getting to those since they play at average depth. But while he's not getting to the sit in front of him, his deep setup in CF is allowing him to get to those shots that are hit over most heads, those make him look spectacular. It's no secret that he's nowhere near the same defensive player that he used to be, he's still above average but that hard Metrodome turf has taken away a few steps that won't be coming back.

He's played 35 games this year, get back to me in September when he's back around a .820 OPS. He's the ultimate streak hitter and it's why he's going to make so much more money than he's worth this offseason.

If I were to believe all the stats I see right now, then JJ Hardy and Aaron Rowand must be 2 of the better players in baseball.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
I forgot about Rowand... yeah, he will likely be heading back to the south side next season. This is probably just another contract year season to, and when he gets a pretty good sized contract from us, he will revert back to his usual self.

Rowand started off last year in a similar fashion. He had an .871 OPS, 6 HR and 17 RBI this time last May.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
remember when I kept getting laughed at when I was calling Placido Polanco the solution to our problems at 2B back in '04. Oh how times change.

I've always been a big fan of Placido... well, before he joined the Tigs. If I was here posting back in 04, I would not have laughed at you, but have agreed.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
The year he's having is a .250 batting average, a .297 OBP and .643 OPS. He is not having a good year. And Kalapse is right, all signs point to Erstad being the Sox $6M dollar starting CF in 2008 (it's in his contract -- he's going to get the 600 PAs). BTW Erstad is hitting .107 against LHP. You would think a manager that wasn't unconscious would at least platoon Erstad. Anyway, if Erstad is starting in 2008 the Sox will be a bad, bad team. $6M for a .650 OPS outfielder. Geez.....

The White Sox can buy out his contract for $1.25 million, regardless of the number of plate appearances he makes.

I'm not sure how we can afford to keep Buehrle and add anyone of significance....such as Jones, Hunter or Ichiro.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
The White Sox can buy out his contract for $1.25 million, regardless of the number of plate appearances he makes.

I'm not sure how we can afford to keep Buehrle and add anyone of significance....such as Jones, Hunter or Ichiro.

If JR is willing to top the $110M mark or deal Contreras Ichiro + Buehrle is doable.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 14, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
I think Crede would have to go as well, and as of right now, it wouldn't be a huge loss. That 4.9 off the books would be nice. (Who knows what Joe will get next year in Arb)

Yes but I'm thinking that is pretty much a given, I don't see how Joe Crede plays for the White Sox beyond the 2007 season.