White Sox vs. Yankees, 5/16/07 Lets Play Two!! (W), (L)

RME JICO

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee you all that Sweeney will have made some adjustments. I am sure we aren't the only ones who noticed that the scouting report going around on Sweeney is that he has trouble with the inside pitch. So, he has two options for adjustment. Either back off the plate a little bit, or get those hands in quick and open up those hips.

Also, I still am the driver of the Sweeney bandwagon.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 17, 2007 -> 12:03 AM)
The Sweeney bandwagon has cooled down just a bit recently...

Sweeney breaks so many bats when he's swinging. That's a huge sign that his strength isn't anywhere near the level it's going to have to be at in order to be successful.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Sweeney breaks so many bats when he's swinging. That's a huge sign that his strength isn't anywhere near the level it's going to have to be at in order to be successful.

I've never heard that breaking your bat is indicative of lack of strength in all the years I have followed baseball which is 35+ years. The kid is 6'4" 215. That appears to be plenty strong enough to hit a baseball. I would think breaking your bat as a lot of hitters do now is more a sign of the lighter bats that everyone uses to increase bat speed or just not getting the fat part of the bat on the ball. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know where you've seen that information.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 17, 2007 -> 01:03 AM)
I've never heard that breaking your bat is indicative of lack of strength in all the years I have followed baseball which is 35+ years. The kid is 6'4" 215. That appears to be plenty strong enough to hit a baseball. I would think breaking your bat as a lot of hitters do now is more a sign of the lighter bats that everyone uses to increase bat speed or just not getting the fat part of the bat on the ball. I'm not saying your wrong, I'd just like to know where you've seen that information.

Lack of bat speed can easily cause you to not get the sweet part of the bat on the ball, resulting in a broken bat.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
Lack of bat speed can easily cause you to not get the sweet part of the bat on the ball, resulting in a broken bat.

Sweeney seems to have plenty of bat speed, the problem is he is getting busted on the inside pitches, his strength is fine.

That seems to be the problem for multiple players on the team currently.

I'm more willing to believe his light bat, which he uses to generate more speed -- and thus, more opportunity for broken bats -- requires Sweeney to hit a ball in the center to drive it anywhere with authority.

Any ball around the handle is likely to shatter due to his strength and the bat's thin circumference.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 17, 2007 -> 01:08 AM)
Sweeney seems to have plenty of bat speed, the problem is he is getting busted on the inside pitches, his strength is fine.

I think even Sweeney's biggest supporters right now would say his strength is the biggest thing he needs to improve.