Would anyone start Contreras over Danks Sunday?

caulfield12

It was brought up on the post-game show, while Danks was being interviewed.

Doesn't make a lot of sense not to start Danks for the following reasons...

1) Cubs bat .252 vs. LHP, .285 vs. RHP

2) You don't want Danks and Buehrle back-to-back

3) Ozzie seems to really trust him and I don't think would try to "protect" him from the Cubs' hysteria

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 16, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
It was brought up on the post-game show, while Danks was being interviewed.

Doesn't make a lot of sense not to start Danks for the following reasons...

1) Cubs bat .252 vs. LHP, .285 vs. RHP

2) You don't want Danks and Buehrle back-to-back

3) Ozzie seems to really trust him and I don't think would try to "protect" him from the Cubs' hysteria

The problem is he's 22 and Ozzie is sensitive to overworking him. In the postgame interview, Ozzie seemed to be leaning towards bringing someone up.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 16, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
If we call someone up, it should be Haeger. Maybe he can get lucky on a windy day at the park and have some success. I don't want to see our AAAA pitchers, Floyd and Broadway, anywhere near the rivalry game.

Why is Broadway a AAAA pitcher? He doesn't have the wicked stuff but he has done nothing but succeed in the minors and was a 1st round pick. I don't see the justification for the AAAA crap?

Also maybe i'm missing something, but why wouldn't Danks make this start. He just pitched against the Yankees.... thats way more pressure on someone than facing the Cubs.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 16, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
Why is Broadway a AAAA pitcher? He doesn't have the wicked stuff but he has done nothing but succeed in the minors and was a 1st round pick. I don't see the justification for the AAAA crap?

Also maybe i'm missing something, but why wouldn't Danks make this start. He just pitched against the Yankees.... thats way more pressure on someone than facing the Cubs.

people worry that this is pushing him since he pitched 1/2 day later.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ May 16, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
I think Floyd is out of options, so he probably won't see the team until Sept.

This is incorrect understanding of the option process.

He was optioned to AAA to start the season. He does not need to use any more options this season to shuffle between the minors and the bigs.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 16, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)
This is incorrect understanding of the option process.

He was optioned to AAA to start the season. He does not need to use any more options this season to shuffle between the minors and the bigs.

This adds up. My bad.

When I heard the change go down on the radio, I assumed that after 88 pitches it was a no-brainer. But after listening to Ozzie afterwards, who knows...

Personally, I think we should go ahead and start the kid. He didn't wear himself out today by any means. I think he would be fine...

Also, Danks was really throwing today. This had been the best all season I have seen him throw. He has popping the fastball up there at 92-93, and had that good late break going with his slanting curve. Plus, his change didn't look to shabby either. He still needs to work on that control through.

There was talk yesterday about starting Masset. A reason not mentioned for NOT starting Danks would probably be the amount of innings he has pitched in a year while in in the minors . I don't know his innings pitched totals but some believe the young Tigers pitchers petered out at the end of the year because they had never thrown as many innings as they had in a season before.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 16, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
There was talk yesterday about starting Masset. A reason not mentioned for NOT starting Danks would probably be the amount of innings he has pitched in a year while in in the minors . I don't know his innings pitched totals but some believe the young Tigers pitchers petered out at the end of the year because they had never thrown as many innings as they had in a season before.

Assuming we get to the playoffs there is a strong possibility that Danks doesnt even start. We have 4 veteran starters on our staff 3 of which have won a WS with us. Im assuming Danks plays the role of El Duque.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 16, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Assuming we get to the playoffs there is a strong possibility that Danks doesnt even start. We have 4 veteran starters on our staff 3 of which have won a WS with us. Im assuming Danks plays the role of El Duque.

Playoffs ? PLAYOFFS ? ! I'm not neccessarily talking about the playoffs. I just know it was the last month or 2 of the season that the young Tiger starters faltered because they had never pitched as many innings in a season before and it took its toll.