Thome

pale_hose

Who goes down Sweeney or Terraro? Sweeney is not making a case to play over Mackowiak any longer and therefore may make Ozzie right. History dictates that Mackowiak should hit better and long term Sweeney will be better, Terraro will get the nod. The move should come Sunday as a pitcher is called up.

I agree southsider.

I am a bit pissed about Sweeney's current approach to the plate still. He is just trying to put the bat on the ball. I want to see him get those hits open and hit some scorchers.

But in all likely hood, Greg Walker is probably doing something wrong here...

With Dye and Iguchi finally coming around it looks like, and hopefully soon Paulie, I lineup of something like what I will post below won't look half bad....

Erstad, CF

Iguchi, 2B

Thome, DH

Konerko, 1B

Dye, RF

Pierzynski/Hall, C

Uribe, SS

Crede, 3B

Sweeney, LF

Kenny Williams has indicated that Ryan Sweeney wll be up here to stay, but if he does continue to struggle at the plate, I could see a reversal of that judgement.

For the Cubs series this weekend, there's really no reason to bring Thome back. He'd only be a pinch hitter, and with close games that this series usually produces, we will need extra players who can play the field.

QUOTE(spiderman @ May 17, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
Kenny Williams has indicated that Ryan Sweeney wll be up here to stay, but if he does continue to struggle at the plate, I could see a reversal of that judgement.

For the Cubs series this weekend, there's really no reason to bring Thome back. He'd only be a pinch hitter, and with close games that this series usually produces, we will need extra players who can play the field.

When did he say that? What did I miss?

If Sweeney stays, that better mean Pods is on the bench when he returns. I find it difficult to imagine that, however.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 17, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
When did he say that? What did I miss?

If Sweeney stays, that better mean Pods is on the bench when he returns. I find it difficult to imagine that, however.

This was in today's SunTimes, Williams talking about Sweeney:

''That kid's not going anywhere,'' Williams said. ''It takes a long time to get mature -- I'm talking about baseball mature. And he is right now.

''We're going to let him ride that out, let him play and see how far he can take it. It's always a plus when you can develop your own talent. He not only has shown that he can hit at this level but has come up with the big hit. We'll let it ride with him, see where it takes us.''

QUOTE(spiderman @ May 17, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)

''That kid's not going anywhere,'' Williams said. ''It takes a long time to get mature -- I'm talking about baseball mature. And he is right now.

''We're going to let him ride that out, let him play and see how far he can take it. It's always a plus when you can develop your own talent. He not only has shown that he can hit at this level but has come up with the big hit. We'll let it ride with him, see where it takes us.''

Thanks, I didn't see that.

If he's on the ML team when Pods returns, he had better be starting. It may be ugly around here if Sweeney is sent down in any case, but I'll blow a f'n gasket if he's rotting on the bench.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 17, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Thanks, I didn't see that.

If he's on the ML team when Pods returns, he had better be starting. It may be ugly around here if Sweeney is sent down in any case, but I'll blow a f'n gasket if he's rotting on the bench.

I do think the Sox are hoping that Sweeney grabs the LF job, but he'll definitely lose it if he doesn't improve his average.

As far as Pods' is concerned, if he can't run at full speed, I don't want him back at all. Speed is his game.

QUOTE(spiderman @ May 17, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)

KW is just about the only guy in the organization that I have unwavering faith in. He is just really good at his job.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
KW is just about the only guy in the organization that I have unwavering faith in. He is just really good at his job.
I was at the game 5/17 and I liked what I saw in Sweeney. Sweeney plays a better centerfield that Erstadt while Erstadt plays a very capable 1st base. Sweeney will improve at the plate and in the field.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 17, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
Thome left the game for a pinch hitter tonight. Anyone have an update on why? If he's injured again, KW needs to go out and acquire a new DH.

This is the second day in a row they have done that, and there is nothing out on the wires about an injury. Everything in print today is talking about his return Monday. Besides I thought you were the guy with the connections, you tell us :D

Jim Thome-DH-White Sox May. 18 - 9:10 am et

According to the Chicago Tribune, Jim Thome (ribs) is ready to return from the disabled list, but the White Sox will wait until after their weekend interleague series to activate him.

Thome, who's been out since April 28, likely wouldn't have seen many at-bats playing the Cubs under NL rules anyway

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
This is the second day in a row they have done that, and there is nothing out on the wires about an injury. Everything in print today is talking about his return Monday. Besides I thought you were the guy with the connections, you tell us :D

It happened on the road, so it's a lot harder for me to find out information about this (especially because it doesn't deal with a minor league prospect).

QUOTE(forrestg @ May 18, 2007 -> 12:43 AM)
I was at the game 5/17 and I liked what I saw in Sweeney. Sweeney plays a better centerfield that Erstadt while Erstadt plays a very capable 1st base. Sweeney will improve at the plate and in the field.

Sweeney is better than Jeremy Reed (it's close) but there's no way he is better than Erstad in CF, not at this point in his career.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 18, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
Sweeney is better than Jeremy Reed (it's close) but there's no way he is better than Erstad in CF, not at this point in his career.

As of right now, Erstad and Reed are better defensively than Sweeney. However, Sweeney has a lot more potential defensively thanks to have a strong throwing arm.