Blind optimism with a slight bit of logic.

Texsox

Very good veteran players average out over a season. Every team hits a slump. Eventually veterans like Konerko, Dye, Gooch, AJ will come close to their career numbers, meaning they will have to heat up over their averages as much as they have been under. That's what you pay for in veterans over rookies (BA for example)

All in all, at this point in the season, I am feeling optimistic based on three decades of watching the nation's pastime.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Very good veteran players average out over a season. Every team hits a slump. Eventually veterans like Konerko, Dye, Gooch, AJ will come close to their career numbers, meaning they will have to heat up over their averages as much as they have been under. That's what you pay for in veterans over rookies (BA for example)

All in all, at this point in the season, I am feeling optimistic based on three decades of watching the nation's pastime.

So many guys are due to get hot to reach their career norms that when it happens it will be scary ! If 4 or 5 guys get hot at the same time combined with our pitching to this point I'll thoroughly enjoy it. I just hope it starts tommorrow against the Cubs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)

I agree. I know we are a month and a half into the season, and we have been saying this since the season started but it's just a matter of time before our offense gets hot and produces like it's capable of. We have had a tough schedule so far and even without our offense being in sync, we are still 3 games over .500. The pitching has been unbelievable and carried us so far. I am sure they are gonna hits some rough spots through the year, but hopefully when it does the offense will pick em up. I would rather have the offense struggling to start the season than I would the pitching. It's easier to pick up a bat at the trade deadline, than it is to find pitching. But I believe this team is too talented offensively to continue to struggle like it has been. Plus if Hall, and Thome can stay healthy the rest of the year, that will be key. I'm not counting on Pods at all the rest of the year. The guy is made of crystal, he's too injury prone. KW shouldn't have counted on him at all this year. He messed up. But, he's also done alot since becoming GM so I'll give him a pass on that. He deserves it. Things could be alot worse!!!

Edited by diegotony06

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 17, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)

This is what each player would have to hit the remainder of the season to get to their career averages:

DIF Career Needed

Konerko +90 (.281) .316

Dye +69 (.275) .300

Iguchi +58 (.274) .288

Crede +58 (.258) .278

Pierzynski +42 (.286) .299

Uribe +12 (.257) .260

Those numbers seem very reasonable and attainable. Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 17, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
This is what each player would have to hit the remainder of the season to get to their career averages:

DIF Career Needed

Konerko +90 (.281) .316

Dye +69 (.275) .300

Iguchi +58 (.274) .288

Crede +58 (.258) .278

Pierzynski +42 (.286) .299

Uribe +12 (.257) .260

Those numbers seem very reasonable and attainable.

Just kind of curious on how many ab's you based those on?

Anyways, even if most of our guys don't get to their career averages(some surely will), these guys will all hit better than they're hitting now. All of them.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 17, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
Just kind of curious on how many ab's you based those on?

Anyways, even if most of our guys don't get to their career averages(some surely will), these guys will all hit better than they're hitting now. All of them.

I took an average of their last 3 full seasons (-Gooch) and rounded to an even number. Most were around 500 - 475. Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(bmags @ May 17, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
i think crede'll end up at about .240 this year, but i'm excited for an inevitable heat up. Theres no way we stay at .200 all year all throughout the middle of the order.

I'm of about the same opinion and I really think we may see Fields up for around 30-40 games this season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 17, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
I'm of about the same opinion and I really think we may see Fields up for around 30-40 games this season.

Crede and Fields are both off to slow starts. If Fields will be up for that many games then you're expecting the Sox to be out of the playoff hunt or Joe to be really bad or be traded. If the Sox are in the playoff hunt I'd hardly expect to see Fields at all until the September callups.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 18, 2007 -> 04:09 AM)
It's hard to be optimistic until we see Thome again with the big league club. I guess no news is good news about him leaving for a pinch hitter tonight.

:o oh man i hope it's nothing.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
Crede and Fields are both off to slow starts. If Fields will be up for that many games then you're expecting the Sox to be out of the playoff hunt or Joe to be really bad or be traded. If the Sox are in the playoff hunt I'd hardly expect to see Fields at all until the September callups.

Or if Joe's back lands him on the DL like it has the past few years.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
:o oh man i hope it's nothing.

White Sox designated hitter Jim Thome played five innings in his third game rehabbing a strained rib cage. He singled in the first and reached on an error in the fourth for the Knights.

I looked at the Knights' site and the Charlotte Observer but didn't find anything alarming that would cause one to believe Thome was re-injured.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ May 17, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
I agree. I know we are a month and a half into the season, and we have been saying this since the season started but it's just a matter of time before our offense gets hot and produces like it's capable of. We have had a tough schedule so far and even without our offense being in sync, we are still 3 games over .500. The pitching has been unbelievable and carried us so far. I am sure they are gonna hits some rough spots through the year, but hopefully when it does the offense will pick em up. I would rather have the offense struggling to start the season than I would the pitching. It's easier to pick up a bat at the trade deadline, than it is to find pitching. But I believe this team is too talented offensively to continue to struggle like it has been. Plus if Hall, and Thome can stay healthy the rest of the year, that will be key. I'm not counting on Pods at all the rest of the year. The guy is made of crystal, he's too injury prone. KW shouldn't have counted on him at all this year. He messed up. But, he's also done alot since becoming GM so I'll give him a pass on that. He deserves it. Things could be alot worse!!!

I'm sure he'll be able to sleep tonight because of this.

More importantly than being 3 games over .500, they are only 3.5 games out of first.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 18, 2007 -> 01:17 AM)
Or if Joe's back lands him on the DL like it has the past few years.

Our little ray of sunshine . . . :D

Some people look at a glass and say it's half full, some look at the same glass and say it's half empty. Sox fans looks at the glass and says it's half full of s***ty tasting water because K-Dubya bought the wrong kind of water, Ozzie didn't know how to mix it, and we should have swapped our greater tasting water two years ago and we'd have a lake full of great water right now.

For all the comparison's with last yr's poor 2nd half hitting, 2007 is nowhere close to 2006. The sox hit

.271/.328/.450 post ASB. This year they're hitting .222/.301/.363. The sox bats will wake up. It's just a matter of the sox pitching [the starters, the bullpen could use improvement] staying strong.

The time to make up some ground is before the ASB. June esp. looks to be a favorable schedule after a tough April and May.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 19, 2007 -> 06:51 AM)
Our little ray of sunshine . . . :D

Some people look at a glass and say it's half full, some look at the same glass and say it's half empty. Sox fans looks at the glass and says it's half full of s***ty tasting water because K-Dubya bought the wrong kind of water, Ozzie didn't know how to mix it, and we should have swapped our greater tasting water two years ago and we'd have a lake full of great water right now.

Tex, that quote is one of the best I've read in years on this board. I've been getting good laughs reading everything on here. I agree with the topic, things will pick up.