Pods out for longer than expected

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ May 19, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
I disagree with this. I predict he'll be sent down in 2 days.

Your prediction is spot on. I've heard some rumblings from within that confirm he will go down when Thome comes back.

It's funny. Sweeney goes on a little funk, now he isn't ready and everyone wants him sent down. Just a week ago he was our best hitter and everyone was like he should start in LF for the whole year.

Funny how just 1 week can change dozens of people's minds.

Also, Sweeney > Mack/Ozuna/Terrero.

Oh, and the thing about the Carlos Lee trade, it didn't matter who we got in return. Lee was a "me" and a hot dog. Never heard good things about him either. I didn't care who we got in return, I just wanted him gone.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 19, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
It's funny. Sweeney goes on a little funk, now he isn't ready and everyone wants him sent down. Just a week ago he was our best hitter and everyone was like he should start in LF for the whole year.

Sweeney isn't ready, his good start didn't change that. The only that that has looked different during his funk is his swing and being too aggressive, thanks to our wonderful hitting coach.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 18, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
That Pods and human gascan for C Lee trade was such a horrible trade. It was worth it for 2005 obviously, but still that's an all timer in bad trading.

that's too much of a contradiction.

It wasn't a bad trade, there was no way we were going to re-sign clee and pods helped us to a series title. period.

the bad deal was not going out and getting another LF. If only Anderson didn't suck so bad then maybe erstad could've taken over in LF.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 19, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)

Funny how just 1 week can change dozens of people's minds.

Also, Sweeney > Mack/Ozuna/Terrero.

Oh, and the thing about the Carlos Lee trade, it didn't matter who we got in return. Lee was a "me" and a hot dog. Never heard good things about him either. I didn't care who we got in return, I just wanted him gone.

Sweeney has the maturity and swing to be a solid player in the majors this year; he's never been the best hitter. He may have had the best swing, but never has the best swing been the same thing as the best hitter.

Aside from that, this team needs all the offense it can get and Sweeney isn't bringing anything; in a what have you done for me lately world, Sweeney is horrible and Thome will be a sigh of relief. There's no damn difference between Mackowiak/Ozuna in LF vs Sweeney in LF, and if Sweeney's not starting, he's being wasted on the minor league roster.

I understand you love the dude, but settle the hell down and look at the numbers a little bit oo.

A few points.

• Pods could never be a fourth outfielder, beacause a fourth outfielder needs to be able to play more than one outfield position.

• Sweeney has talent, but his youth and inexperience has caught up with him. Owens might be a better option.

• Some of you may hate Pods, but you can't deny that he seems to have some sort of positive affect when he's healthy.

• We have s*** in LF right now, poo in center, and crap in right. We need two of the three to start producing more than they have been.

• I hope some of you stop posting if we ever fall below .500.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 20, 2007 -> 05:00 AM)
A few points.

• Pods could never be a fourth outfielder, beacause a fourth outfielder needs to be able to play more than one outfield position.

• Sweeney has talent, but his youth and inexperience has caught up with him. Owens might be a better option.

Some of you may hate Pods, but you can't deny that he seems to have some sort of positive affect when he's healthy.

• We have s*** in LF right now, poo in center, and crap in right. We need two of the three to start producing more than they have been.

That's one of the main reasons we dislike him....he's either always injured, or he's "back in the lineup but isn't 100 pct yet". Pods really has turned into the Sox's version of Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 18, 2007 -> 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since Sweeney has come up, Walk has been on a mission to fix that line drive swing and get some power out of him. It seems that his progress is moving forward.

Ozuna must like Timo wouldnt have a place of most major league rosters.

Isn't it amazing? Didn't Pablo have the highest average on our team most, if not all of last year?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 20, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)

I could conclude that we are bad at thus point and learn to deal with it. As of now, the cocktease that is the Chicago White Sox is borderline impossible to watch. And I agree with you on Owens, but don't post that too often, they'll kill us for thinking that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(beautox @ May 20, 2007 -> 02:28 AM)
simply awesome, we should've moved him to the rox before they got smart and traded for willy.

Yeah, our offense would be so much better with Taveras. Not. It's amazing that Pods, one of like two guys that was performing well before he got hurt, is still looked at as the center of everything that's wrong with this team when every single position player we have has been average-to-horses***. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it won't be because Kenny brought Pods back.

Was it too much to expect out of Pods to stay healthy and produce? Yeah probably.

But beck72 came up with an excellent point. Would you rather had signed Dave Roberts on the DL himself with a .216/.283/.317 stat-line or Gary Matthews Jr. for $10M a season instead?

KW pretty much had 2 choices this off-season. To trade B-Mac or Garcia for a starting OF to replace Pods, or to get some young pitching.

He made his choice, and some of that has paid off if you look at how Danks has produced. I think KW was in a "can't win" situation because if he trades say Garcia for Rowand and Fabio Castro, people say we've not getting a good enough return to improve our young pitching.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 19, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Signing pods ranks with trading for Todd Richie and drafting Royce Ring ahead of Joe Blanton as the great moments in KW History.

Not even close...Barry/Berry and Masaoka for Baldwin, Adkins for Durham, trading Foulke for Koch, trading for Royce Clayton and displacing Valentin, signing D'Angelo Jimenez, making Willie Harris a starter, trading for R. Alomar when he was simply done, Felix Diaz for Kenny Lofton and many more.

By the way, we'd be better off with Matt Cain and arguably Jeff Francoeur right now, they were also drafted after Ring.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 20, 2007 -> 06:12 AM)
Was it too much to expect out of Pods to stay healthy and produce? Yeah probably.

But beck72 came up with an excellent point. Would you rather had signed Dave Roberts on the DL himself with a .216/.283/.317 stat-line or Gary Matthews Jr. for $10M a season instead?

KW pretty much had 2 choices this off-season. To trade B-Mac or Garcia for a starting OF to replace Pods, or to get some young pitching.

He made his choice, and some of that has paid off if you look at how Danks has produced. I think KW was in a "can't win" situation because if he trades say Garcia for Rowand and Fabio Castro, people say we've not getting a good enough return to improve our young pitching.

Pierre was the other main guy under consideration as well...so everyone's arguing they wouldn't have signed any of the three names that keep getting mentioned, but they would have found a "mystery" candidate like Trot Nixon or Preston Wilson instead that would have been a better move.

The stats don't completely lie. We're 50+ games over .500 with Pods in the line-up since the beginning of the 2005 season, and now exactly one game under .500 when he's out of the line-up. That should tell you something. I'm sure our winning percentage is even higher when he either scores a run or steals a base.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Pierre was the other main guy under consideration as well...so everyone's arguing they wouldn't have signed any of the three names that keep getting mentioned, but they would have found a "mystery" candidate like Trot Nixon or Preston Wilson instead that would have been a better move.

The stats don't completely lie. We're 50+ games over .500 with Pods in the line-up since the beginning of the 2005 season, and now exactly one game under .500 when he's out of the line-up. That should tell you something. I'm sure our winning percentage is even higher when he either scores a run or steals a base.

Well Pierre with his .307 OBP hasn't shown himself to be worthy of his contract, while Wilson has a .577 OPS. Nixon's done a bit better a .748 OPS, but that number has been decreasing over the past few seasons.

I think another issue is here, everyone assumed the Sox had to get a leadoff hitter to replace Pods. Now we've seen Erstad is getting that role, so we could have tried to get a middle of the order type of hitter. How about this for an option;

That the Red Sox have been shopping outfielder Wily Mo Pena because they feel he hurts them too much defensively when they use him in center field. Boston doesn't need much, but the Sox would love to add one above-average bat to their lineup, either in center field or at second base. And like every other team, they're looking to beef up their bullpen.

Good power numbers, and you could stick him in a corner OF spot. Could be a long - term replacement for Dye as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 20, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
Well Pierre with his .307 OBP hasn't shown himself to be worthy of his contract, while Wilson has a .577 OPS. Nixon's done a bit better a .748 OPS, but that number has been decreasing over the past few seasons.

I think another issue is here, everyone assumed the Sox had to get a leadoff hitter to replace Pods. Now we've seen Erstad is getting that role, so we could have tried to get a middle of the order type of hitter. How about this for an option;

Good power numbers, and you could stick him in a corner OF spot. Could be a long - term replacement for Dye as well.

The Red Sox have two fourth outfielders in Crisp and Willy Mo Pena, and they know they can't stay double digit runs ahead of the Yankees forever.

The problem is we don't have any bats to give up, and they don't need any of our starters (they have Lester on the way as well to take the last spot in the rotation) and who would they want out of our bullpen?

Their concerns are Pedroia (as a rookie, which everyone saw coming when they idiotically let Loretta go) and Crisp. Would they take Erstad over Crisp? Maybe. That would leave us without a CFer, unless we want to make the desperation move to BA again in CF. Erstad has been one of our best players the last month or so.

Otherwise, we have to trade the Red Sox Iguchi for Pedroia I guess, but that's not going to get us Pena in the deal as well. Unless you traded Iguchi for Pena and played Cintron or Ozuna over at 2B for the rest of the season, and I guess it could be worse....I don't want to see Mackowiak anywhere near our infield defense.

Then you stick Pena in LF, make us officially the slowest team in the majors and an average team defensively to hopefully get a little kick-start of offense.