masset start

Bubba Philips

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masset's future is obviously as a starter. His fastball continually popped in the mid 90's even as the game wore on. His fastball has good sink to it, and he has a major league curve. If BMAC somehow brought 2 future pitchers in our rotation, I would say that was the biggest contribution he will ever make to this team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:22 AM)
Masset isnt stretched out enough to go more than he did yesterday. I think we saw something else also Mike. Remember how many people were upset that Freddy and Bmac were traded because we didnt have a 6th starter waiting in the weeds in case of injury. Well everyone, Massett looks like he can step in.

I really think we will sign Buerhle. I think Garland or Contreras is a goner. They have tried to trade Garland a few times and Contreras isnt getting younger.

Yeah, there is no doubt our starting depth is better. The nice thing is that it means less pressure to get guys like Russell, Gonzalez, and Floyd to contribute too quickly.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Masset's future is obviously as a starter. His fastball continually popped in the mid 90's even as the game wore on. His fastball has good sink to it, and he has a major league curve. If BMAC somehow brought 2 future pitchers in our rotation, I would say that was the biggest contribution he will ever make to this team.

His two seamer is the big difference maker to me. The first time I saw him break that out is when he had that long relief gig against the Indians.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
Yeah, there is no doubt our starting depth is better. The nice thing is that it means less pressure to get guys like Russell, Gonzalez, and Floyd to contribute too quickly.

I think it also helps with contract negotiations. When you have some available arms or other options, then they cant put you in the corner. KW did that with Garland and Contreras and pitted them against each other. The first one to sign, and then both of them sign within a few days of each other.

Russell, Gio and Floyd all have plus stuff as well. Floyd just needs to be rebuilt mentally and needs to throw strikes. I think what we saw with our AA so far, allows KW to use guys like Broadway and Haeger as trading chips for the trading deadline.

Broadway is just about ready but I dont think it will be with us, he doesn't project as top of the rotation. But his numbers look good, and he was a former number 1 so he value is at an all time high.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
His two seamer is the big difference maker to me. The first time I saw him break that out is when he had that long relief gig against the Indians.

I think it also helps with contract negotiations. When you have some available arms or other options, then they cant put you in the corner. KW did that with Garland and Contreras and pitted them against each other. The first one to sign, and then both of them sign within a few days of each other.

Russell, Gio and Floyd all have plus stuff as well. Floyd just needs to be rebuilt mentally and needs to throw strikes. I think what we saw with our AA so far, allows KW to use guys like Broadway and Haeger as trading chips for the trading deadline.

Broadway is just about ready but I dont think it will be with us, he doesn't project as top of the rotation. But his numbers look good, and he was a former number 1 so he value is at an all time high.

How about the Massett Danks trade now .....two starters for McCarthy.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2007 -> 07:22 AM)
Masset isnt stretched out enough to go more than he did yesterday. I think we saw something else also Mike. Remember how many people were upset that Freddy and Bmac were traded because we didnt have a 6th starter waiting in the weeds in case of injury. Well everyone, Massett looks like he can step in.

I really think we will sign Buerhle. I think Garland or Contreras is a goner. They have tried to trade Garland a few times and Contreras isnt getting younger.

I agree with you on Buehrle and Contreras, however it would be very stupid to move Garland. The guy is this clubs best starter (this season and during the World Series season) and is on the right side of 30. I think if the Sox can keep Buehrle/Garland/Vazquez around with two of Danks/Masset/Gio/Floyd (maybe Broadway, etc) filling in the other two spots with a third being a potential spot starter who could fill in when necessary than this team will be in great shape.

Great start by Masset yesterday, he proved me wrong.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 20, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
Fantastic start by Masset. He had great control between the 2nd and 5th inning. The funny thing is that he was throwing harder than any of our 5 main starters. And please, never mention Girardi as a possible manager. There's a reason that every Marlins pitcher seems to be on the DL.

I've never been a fan of Girardi. Yankee fans who want Torre gone will regret it if NY hires Girardi.