masset start

Bubba Philips

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
Cheat brings up a fair point about the bullpen btw, as much as people don't want to hear it.

It would be, but not in the middle of May with the light week the White Sox have had. He didn't say the bullpen hasn't sucked, just that they hadn't as much as the offense, which could be true, but thats like someone telling you that you are better looking than Ron Karkovice. Usually I agree with his observations, but I'm not buying this one. I think the bullpen is short.

Sunday Sox lose 11-1 bullpen 3 IP 7 R

Monday off

Tuesday off

Wednesday Sox win 5-3 bullpen 2.2 IP 1 R

Wednesday Sox lose 8-1 bullpen 2.1 IP 4 R

Thursday Sox win 4-1 bullpen 2 IP 0 R

Friday Sox lose 6-3 bullpen 1.2 IP 3 R

Saturday Sox lose 11-6 bullpen 1 IP 6 R

That's 12.2 IP and 21 runs allowed for the bullpen in a week. A couple of blowouts and a couple of days off. There are absolutely no excuses for this kind of performance. Actually, the excuses have to end for any of the White Sox failures now.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
It would be, but not in the middle of May with the light week the White Sox have had. He didn't say the bullpen hasn't sucked, just that they hadn't as much as the offense, which could be true, but thats like someone telling you that you are better looking than Ron Karkovice. Usually I agree with his observations, but I'm not buying this one. I think the bullpen is short.

Sunday Sox lose 11-1 bullpen 3 IP 7 R

Monday off

Tuesday off

Wednesday Sox win 5-3 bullpen 2.2 IP 1 R

Wednesday Sox lose 8-1 bullpen 2.1 IP 4 R

Thursday Sox win 4-1 bullpen 2 IP 0 R

Friday Sox lose 6-3 bullpen 1.2 IP 3 R

Saturday Sox lose 11-6 bullpen 1 IP 6 R

That's 12.2 IP and 21 runs allowed for the bullpen in a week. A couple of blowouts and a couple of days off. There are absolutely no excuses for this kind of performance. Actually, the excuses have to end for any of the White Sox failures now.

And they have no tired/weary excuse when they have the least amount of innings pitched of any bullpen in the American League, probably the entire major leagues.

QUOTE(Damen @ May 20, 2007 -> 03:45 AM)
Ozzie's an embarrasment. I'm tired of this sh*t.

Only he could make Mike North look like a genius.

And only he would think Masset is best starter for Sunday. F*ck. This weekend sucks to be a Sox fan.

Our current bullpen is an embarassment. Friday, everyone complained we used MacDougal. We use the pitcher that everyone wanted then (Aardsma) and he also sucked.

We're back to April/May of 2006 for all intents and purposes. The bullpen has cost us 6 games, and that's at least 3 too many. Realistically, we very easily could be 23-16 with the WORST offense in baseball. And yet Ozzie's a horrible manager.

Who does everybody want to get that's ripping on Ozzie? I've yet to see one credible candidate named to replace him. Please stop with the Joe Girardi stuff, I know he's the current "savior" in waiting in the broadcast booth.

And you would be starting who, in your imminent wisdom? Gio Gonzalez? He's been cuffed around recently. Haeger? Floyd? Arnie Munoz? Our choice for starter today is the least worst of the lesser of two evils.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 20, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
Who does everybody want to get that's ripping on Ozzie? I've yet to see one credible candidate named to replace him. Please stop with the Joe Girardi stuff, I know he's the current "savior" in waiting in the broadcast booth.

Honestly i dont think Girardi would even make himself an option(not that i am looking to replace Ozzie right now). he is a Cub at heart, and I dont think he would make that jump.

Besides, Girardi had some serious upper management issues. If he pulled some of that crap with KW, i have no doubts that KW would enter the dugout to "discuss" the matter, knowing that KW is somewhat of a hothead himself. And I dont think JR would take kindly to being told to F*** off either.

Massett pitching could be what this team needs to spin out of this slump. You do everything the way people expect you to do it and it always fails for the Sox. Sunday it may be different.

Good call, El Rockin!

As somebody who figured Masset would get pounded today, I eat my words.

Great effort, Masset!

If he can pitch like that in relief, man would he be a nice set up man!

I'd give him the set up man job now til he blows a couple games.

Very fun to read. A lot of people should be eating their words, but it won't happen. We will see the same complaints the next time anything bad happens.

What have you done for me lately Ozzie and KW? I have no patience or memory of 2 days ago!

Fantastic start by Masset. He had great control between the 2nd and 5th inning. The funny thing is that he was throwing harder than any of our 5 main starters. And please, never mention Girardi as a possible manager. There's a reason that every Marlins pitcher seems to be on the DL.

QUOTE(GarlandFan20 @ May 20, 2007 -> 02:08 AM)
Anyone remember Felix Diaz starting the third game of the Cubs/Sox series at the cell? I think it was in '04 and the team was down 2 games also.

It kind of reminds me of that. Maybe Masset will hold his own.

let me be the first one to re-visit this point. great job.

and not to get on my high horse or anything, but holy s*** have people jumped the shark on this season and on this organization. i had no idea the ledge was here already.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
Good call, El Rockin!

As somebody who figured Masset would get pounded today, I eat my words.

Great effort, Masset!

If he can pitch like that in relief, man would he be a nice set up man!

I'd give him the set up man job now til he blows a couple games.

Thanks! I watched the game on WGN and Masset was really good. That curve of his was fantastic. I see that Ozzie issued a challenge directed at Sisco and Aardsma and I hope they tyake it to heart and step up their game a lot.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
What has surprised me the most is how people have gone crazy with the bullpen. David came into the Cubs series with a 1.64 ERA, and really had been one of the best relief pitchers in the game this season, and after two games, we had people calling for him to be sent down to AAA.

As I said in the gamethread, this bullpen is young. They are going to have struggles. Now Fathom brought up a good point, that the youth in the bullpen could, and will hurt us. He is probably right, and Williams knew that coming in. Hopefully, the "vets" in Macdougal-Thornton-Jenks can step up, and get these guys over the hump.

Its a simple equation with our bullpen.

If they throw strikes and can pitch aggressive they can be the best pen in the league. They all have strikeout stuff.

If they are wild, they will all look horrible.

I like our pen. They need to throw more strikes.

The only other thing I noticed with AArdsma the last two days, is AJ sets up away all the time. The cubs were going oppo on him. With Davids electric stuff he needs to throw inside more, and then setup his breaking pitch away more. I think this weekend was the case of scouting doing a good job on how to attack David.

Sisco is the only one out of the group that really worries me because he has shown the most wildness out of the group.

i was a huge proponent of the velocity pen. I still think its the way to go. Throw more strikes, dont let the walk beat you late in the game.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
What has surprised me the most is how people have gone crazy with the bullpen. David came into the Cubs series with a 1.64 ERA, and really had been one of the best relief pitchers in the game this season, and after two games, we had people calling for him to be sent down to AAA.

As I said in the gamethread, this bullpen is young. They are going to have struggles. Now Fathom brought up a good point, that the youth in the bullpen could, and will hurt us. He is probably right, and Williams knew that coming in. Hopefully, the "vets" in Macdougal-Thornton-Jenks can step up, and get these guys over the hump.

Good post.

QUOTE(Felix @ May 20, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
This thread is a fun read after today's game.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ May 20, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
Very fun to read. A lot of people should be eating their words, but it won't happen. We will see the same complaints the next time anything bad happens.

What have you done for me lately Ozzie and KW? I have no patience or memory of 2 days ago!

QUOTE(thedoctor @ May 20, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
let me be the first one to re-visit this point. great job.

and not to get on my high horse or anything, but holy s*** have people jumped the shark on this season and on this organization. i had no idea the ledge was here already.

OZZIE GUILLEN IS THE BESTEST MANAGER EVA@@@@

I still think last years big 3 in the pen will be fine (Slim, Matt, Bobby), and I like Logan when he's used properly (ie against lefties), but I just have worried about Sisco and Aardsma since March, and Masset seems like an exclusive starter type with how he's pitched, so when almost half of your bullpen is a concern, it's a problem. IF Aardsma would throw the damn bender like he did to Alf more often (or just try to), he'd be a lot better off. But right now, people are treating him like a one pitch pitcher, and for good reason. I just hope we are smart enough to send down Sisco here soon, we have our LOOGY in Boone and our generally good lefty in Matt, we don't need Sisco.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Only person who doesn't belong is Logan IMO.

What did he do wrong? That slam was a wind aided shot on a pretty good pitch to a guy that Logan should not face, ever. Sisco is simply abominable, at least Logan can get good lefties out, and unless Travis Hafner, Victor Martinez, Joe Mauer, Grady Sizemore, Curtis Granderson, and Mark Teahen are getting traded, we need somebody like that in our division. And at least Boone can throw a strike.

Sisco is the only guy in the pen I'm for sure needs to go away right now. Unlike David and Boone, he has a lot of MLB history and none of it says anything other than he's a 5.05 ERA reliever with no control. I'll take my chances with Boone.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

So, Masset's struggling a little in the 6th and Ozzie just yanks him.

The kid's up by two and trying to get through 6 and has only pitched 76 pitches.

So, the genius manager proceeds to bring in gas can Sisco who walks guys and wild pitches a run in while Masset wants to slug Ozzie in the worst way in the dugout for not letting him get himself out of his own jam.

I called Guillen an idiot to the TV.

Anyone else think Ozzie just got lucky?

:snow

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
So, Masset's struggling a little in the 6th and Ozzie just yanks him.

The kid's up by two and trying to get through 6 and has only pitched 76 pitches.

So, the genius manager proceeds to bring in gas can Sisco who walks guys and wild pitches a run in while Masset wants to slug Ozzie in the worst way in the dugout for not letting him get himself out of his own jam.

I called Guillen an idiot to the TV.

Anyone else think Ozzie just got lucky?

:snow

Are you being sarcastic? Masset didn't have the stamina to throw a ton of pitches (when you aren't throwing 100 pitches every 5 days you can't be expected to go out after being sporadically used and throw 85-90 pitches) and you could see he was very fatigued. He'd have been an idiot to leave him out longer. Ozzie took Masset out when the worse that could happen was Masset getting a ND (had MacDougall gave up both inherited runs).

Ozzie has actually been pretty good all season as far as I'm concerned (but I'm in the vast minority).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:05 AM)
Are you being sarcastic? Masset didn't have the stamina to throw a ton of pitches (when you aren't throwing 100 pitches every 5 days you can't be expected to go out after being sporadically used and throw 85-90 pitches) and you could see he was very fatigued. He'd have been an idiot to leave him out longer. Ozzie took Masset out when the worse that could happen was Masset getting a ND (had MacDougall gave up both inherited runs).

Ozzie has actually been pretty good all season as far as I'm concerned (but I'm in the vast minority).

I agree with you Jason. I don't think Ozzie has received enough credit around here, especially how he has handled the PEN ( a young pen at that).

Ozzie definately pulled Masset at the best possible time.

Another note, I can't express how excited I am with the young arms we have within our organization, props to Kenny!

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:05 AM)

I agree 100%. You could tell Massetts pitches didn't have the same movement, velocity, and location in his last inning. If anything he went a little too long, but I have no problem letting the kid go a little long, as he earned it with the way he threw.

Heck, I think we have just seen Mark Buehrle's 2008 replacements first White Sox start.

I will give Ozzie alot of credit for one thing: he rarely if ever leaves his starters out there to give them a chance to lose the game. I've always liked that philosophy. If your guy just pitched 6 or 7+ innings, and the tying run is coming to the plate with a couple on base, don't let him have the chance to be a hard luck loser.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 20, 2007 -> 08:51 PM)
Thanks! I watched the game on WGN and Masset was really good. That curve of his was fantastic. I see that Ozzie issued a challenge directed at Sisco and Aardsma and I hope they tyake it to heart and step up their game a lot.

Anyone else think Massett's curve was kinda Jenksish? Congrats!!

The way the first two games went I actually liked having this Massett start. It gave the team something to rally around. It was one of those times where everything looks like it favors the opposing team. Ace on the bump. Going for the sweep. Sox in a terrible offensive slump. Rookie BP guy getting his first ML start. Home field.

Pretty much every single positive going in to this game was for the Cubs and a lot of times when that is the case...the underdog can use it as a rallying cry and get the mental edge. These are the types of games where the team bonds together to pull one out. Sort of an all the chips are stacked against us thing. And they pulled it off in a big way. Hopefully they can carry the momentum forward.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2007 -> 06:17 AM)
I agree 100%. You could tell Massetts pitches didn't have the same movement, velocity, and location in his last inning. If anything he went a little too long, but I have no problem letting the kid go a little long, as he earned it with the way he threw.

Heck, I think we have just seen Mark Buehrle's 2008 replacements first White Sox start.

Masset isnt stretched out enough to go more than he did yesterday. I think we saw something else also Mike. Remember how many people were upset that Freddy and Bmac were traded because we didnt have a 6th starter waiting in the weeds in case of injury. Well everyone, Massett looks like he can step in.

I really think we will sign Buerhle. I think Garland or Contreras is a goner. They have tried to trade Garland a few times and Contreras isnt getting younger.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:22 AM)
Masset isnt stretched out enough to go more than he did yesterday. I think we saw something else also Mike. Remember how many people were upset that Freddy and Bmac were traded because we didnt have a 6th starter waiting in the weeds in case of injury. Well everyone, Massett looks like he can step in.

I really think we will sign Buerhle. I think Garland or Contreras is a goner. They have tried to trade Garland a few times and Contreras isnt getting younger.

i hope you are wrong about Garland. I think he has figured himself out, and I think him and Buehrle could be the rocks of this rotation. Vazquez and Contreras can go after this year, I dont mind. But I would love to hang on to Garland for a while.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2007 -> 08:22 AM)

I'd say trade Contreras. Garland is pretty solid and seems to rack up the wins for some reason.