Yankees about to contest Giambi's contract?

caulfield12

Will apparently go down sometime this week.

I find it highly hypocritical that baseball "hushes" those who are outspoken and honest about their past usage (like Giambi) but does nothing about Barry Bonds.

Obviously the Players' Association will file a grievance, but I'm sure there was something in his contract about "illegal substances." I wonder if they can void a contract based on his admission and not an actual, failed test?

I can see it now, we'll trade them Thome for Melky Cabrera.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 20, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Was any of this written into Giambi's contract?

Link to the original article.

According to sources familiar with his contract, the deal contains language saying it can be voided if he uses illegal substances while with the club. But to win that battle, the Yankees would have to get past provisions in the collective bargaining agreement that the Players Association maintains supersedes those in a player's contract.

Even if the Yankees are given the right to void it based on the language in the contract, and even if his admission is taken to mean he's definitely referring to steroids (he obviously is, but he only said "that stuff"), I don't think he said anything about taking steroids while with the Yankees. Sounds like it'd still be awfully tough to void it.

Mostly, they just want out of the $35-40 mil left on the contract.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 20, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
Will apparently go down sometime this week.

I find it highly hypocritical that baseball "hushes" those who are outspoken and honest about their past usage (like Giambi) but does nothing about Barry Bonds.

Obviously the Players' Association will file a grievance, but I'm sure there was something in his contract about "illegal substances." I wonder if they can void a contract based on his admission and not an actual, failed test?

I can see it now, we'll trade them Thome for Melky Cabrera.

Wasn't this an issue 2 years ago? That was the time to do it, after he admitted he did steroids and was struggling. Why do it now?

Bob

Daily News reporting that Giambi flunked a test for amphetimenes within the last year.

If this is true, then he is one hell of a person to be saying that everyone needs to apologize for what they did, considering he was still doing performance enhancing drugs.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)
Daily News reporting that Giambi flunked a test for amphetimenes within the last year.

If this is true, then he is one hell of a person to be saying that everyone needs to apologize for what they did, considering he was still doing performance enhancing drugs.

Oops. The amphetimes thing is kind of a gray area with me. Can they seperate coffee from something illegal in those tests?

Wish he and Roger Clemens would just go away.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)

Where is his suspension then?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
Not sure why they would. His contract is over after either this year or next right? And he is still a productive hitter

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 20, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
Mostly, they just want out of the $35-40 mil left on the contract.

Yep, and with Torre on the verge of getting canned, my money is on King George finally dumping high-priced, past-their-prime players and rebuilding.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2007 -> 06:43 AM)
Where is his suspension then?

Amphetimines only bring a suspension on the 2nd offense. The first offense is private and I believe requires counseling, which is why Bonds was never suspended for them either.