Marriotti, come on now

Steve9347

Another loss would have humiliated the Sox and their fans, who still derive bigger jollies from beating the Cubs than winning a World Series, which defies logic.

Where the f*** does he get off saying this? If anything, it'd be the other way around. I couldn't care less about who we beat... and trust me, I don't know a real Sox fan who values beating the Cubs over winning the World Series.

Does he seriously get paid to write this s***?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
Where the f*** does he get off saying this? If anything, it'd be the other way around. I couldn't care less about who we beat... and trust me, I don't know a real Sox fan who values beating the Cubs over winning the World Series.

He seriously gets paid for this because of your reaction. If people didnt care, he wouldnt get paid, its that simple. We all know he is an idiot.

only an idiot sox fan would be happier with winning a series against the cubs than winning it all. actually, ur not a sox fan if u would choose beating the cubs. hes a moron, we all know that. he loves bashing the other teams in town as well. i dont know why he even writes for this town

I'd love to run over his typing hands with a Hummer

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
I'd love to run over his typing hands with a Hummer
I hate Mariotti no matter what he says. The whitesox should have won all three games.. We choked. The cubs/sox series is important to both sides of town but is more important to the south side because we don't want to be beat by a bunch of losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
He seriously gets paid for this because of your reaction. If people didnt care, he wouldnt get paid, its that simple. We all know he is an idiot.

He certainly does get paid to sell newspapers. However, that doesn't give him the right to be an entirely irrepsonsible journalist. A previous poster is absolutely correct- his hard-on for the White Sox, especially OG and KW is absolutely juvenile. I can scarcely think of an organization which could or should draw as much journalistic ire as the one on the North Side, and yet, Mariotti twists and bends every one of his stories about the White Sox into some sort of negative commentary on their manager and general manager.

The article today was a prime example: Mariotti claims he has never said Ozzie Guillen has lost the clubhouse, and yet, all he does is suggest OG has lost the clubhouse- time and again. He then claims that Ken Williams refuses to take blame for the struggles of this team, and yet, Mariotti conveniently leaves out KW's quotes regarding roster moves if certain guys can't get the job done. Isn't this the prime method of a GM taking blame for a struggling team? Changing the group you put together with guys that possibly can?

I know, I know, this is the sort of reaction that many say Mariotti intentionally elicits, thereby selling newspapers. But Mariotti is not some street vendor; he is not some fight promoter. He's a journalist. And even journalists have some responsibilities of integrity in their work. When it comes to the White Sox, Mariotti ignores those responsibilities. As a Sox fan, I have every right to expect more than that from the Sun-Times.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
He certainly does get paid to sell newspapers. However, that doesn't give him the right to be an entirely irrepsonsible journalist. A previous poster is absolutely correct- his hard-on for the White Sox, especially OG and KW is absolutely juvenile. I can scarcely think of an organization which could or should draw as much journalistic ire as the one on the North Side, and yet, Mariotti twists and bends every one of his stories about the White Sox into some sort of negative commentary on their manager and general manager.

The article today was a prime example: Mariotti claims he has never said Ozzie Guillen has lost the clubhouse, and yet, all he does is suggest OG has lost the clubhouse- time and again. He then claims that Ken Williams refuses to take blame for the struggles of this team, and yet, Mariotti conveniently leaves out KW's quotes regarding roster moves if certain guys can't get the job done. Isn't this the prime method of a GM taking blame for a struggling team? Changing the group you put together with guys that possibly can?

I know, I know, this is the sort of reaction that many say Mariotti intentionally elicits, thereby selling newspapers. But Mariotti is not some street vendor; he is not some fight promoter. He's a journalist. And even journalists have some responsibilities of integrity in their work. When it comes to the White Sox, Mariotti ignores those responsibilities. As a Sox fan, I have every right to expect more than that from the Sun-Times.

I agree with most of what you think about Mariotti, but he isnt a journalist. He is a Columnist. he is paid to write what he thinks, not the truth of the situation. This is where he gets away with his assumptions and lack of integrity.

Dont forget about the Jay Mariotti logic.

Jay sees 1 Sox fan root against the cubs = All sox fans for all eternity root against the cubs.

Jay sees 1 piece of concrete fall at Wrigley = All concrete will always fall at wrigley all the time

I believe there is a personality trait for this in most psychology books, hes like an extremist or something. Can never take anything for what its worth, always has to equate everything on a grand scale and for something larger. I wonder how he ever scores chics then, he probably assumes every time a woman says "hello how can I help you" he thinks they wanna screw him.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 21, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
Dont forget about the Jay Mariotti logic.

Jay sees 1 Sox fan root against the cubs = All sox fans for all eternity root against the cubs.

Jay sees 1 piece of concrete fall at Wrigley = All concrete will always fall at wrigley all the time

I believe there is a personality trait for this in most psychology books, hes like an extremist or something. Can never take anything for what its worth, always has to equate everything on a grand scale and for something larger. I wonder how he ever scores chics then, he probably assumes every time a woman says "hello how can I help you" he thinks they wanna screw him.

lol, he already took care of that, he is married with two daughters I believe. Although he probably does believe he is gods gift to women

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
I agree with most of what you think about Mariotti, but he isnt a journalist. He is a Columnist. he is paid to write what he thinks, not the truth of the situation. This is where he gets away with his assumptions and lack of integrity.

Well, this is the definition of "columnist:" A columnist is a journalist who produces a specific form of writing for publication called a "column". Columns appear in newspapers, magazines and on the Internet. Some Internet columns are called blogs or Weblogs.

The fact is, he is someone paid to express his views on sports in Chicago. I understand that. Simply because they are just his views, and not factual reporting, does not excuse him from any responsibility to recognize reality. He has been given a forum, why or how, I'm not certain, which is not so much a place to express his opinion for $, but rather, to educate the masses and elicit reaction, discussion, etc. In the past, with the exception of the World Weekly News and British tabloids, it has generally been held that columnists use their forum to comment on such issues that actually exist, and not those which the columnist has imagined to be the case.

I am not angry because I disagree with the views of Jay Mariotti regarding the White Sox. Honestly, I rarely agree with any of the views of journalists in this town covering baseball. The difference lies in the integrity those other journalists utilize in writing their stories, articles, columns, etc. Whereas their work is not based on personal vendettas, it's ridiculously apparent that Jay's is.

He may be a columnist, but columnists still can make mistakes.

No way do any Sox fans I know including me get more "jollies" from beating the Cubs than winning

the World Series.

That is pure bulls***.

He should be reprimanded for writing that.

His paper is one that covered the s*** out of the World Series.

The paper knows damn well he is WRONG on this one.

Call him on this one.

He is wrong on this one.

Also he wrote:

Lou Piniella is the ''in'' manager, showing no patience for mediocrity and pondering a possible eventual move of closer Ryan Dempster to the rotation. As for Guillen, he is becoming passe, a wounded animal

Save this. He will jump on Lou before long. It's inevitable.

Edited by greg775

Hawk fanned the flames of the vendetta tonite. I could almost hear Jay typing in the 2nd inning when Hawk started talking about his column.

The most ironic thing is that you know that Hawk reads his columns.

I bet he got it from a recent poll of Sox fans themselves.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58716

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
Hawk fanned the flames of the vendetta tonite. I could almost hear Jay typing in the 2nd inning when Hawk started talking about his column.

Perhaps you'll hear him type another column after the inevitable Harrelson shout out tonight. :D

And if anyone here was upset with Mariotti yesterday, today's piece is even more personal.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)

He does, or how would he know what is being said about him/the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
He does, or how would he know what is being said about him/the Sox.

unfortunately he is playing right into Mariotti's little game. You could see todays column from a mile away, Mariotti loves exposure that Hawk gives him.

I find it humorous how in this morning's column, he accuses Ozzie of being a hypocrite. This is the guy that never answers his critics and has eternal amnesia about his past columns (unless they turn out to actually be correct, a rare occurrence indeed).

Then he has a sub-headline in the column asking "Where is the Integrity."

Hah. This man asking where the integrity went.

Mark my words. He will be fired. This season.

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
I find it humorous how in this morning's column, he accuses Ozzie of being a hypocrite. This is the guy that never answers his critics and has eternal amnesia about his past columns (unless they turn out to actually be correct, a rare occurrence indeed).

Then he has a sub-headline in the column asking "Where is the Integrity."

Hah. This man asking where the integrity went.

Mark my words. He will be fired. This season.

No way in hell. I will bet you a new Danks jersey right now that Mariotti is not fired this year

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
No way in hell. I will bet you a new Danks jersey right now that Mariotti is not fired this year

They just had Greg Couch his mini-me on WSCR. Talk about a baseball boob. He is upset with the team speed, because we don't bunt enough. He mentioned that we don't play old fashion baseball and bunt and steal. Greg, bunting to bunt is just dumb.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 22, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
unfortunately he is playing right into Mariotti's little game. You could see todays column from a mile away, Mariotti loves exposure that Hawk gives him.

No one ever accused Hawk of being the sharpest crayon in the box.