Marriotti, come on now

Steve9347

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
What Hawk is doing, and frankly what you are doing by prolonging a thread like this, is getting more people to check out what that douche is actually writing about. Bad publicity is better than none.

This belief that somehow not speaking of him on this board will somehow cause him to go away is pure nonsense. I don't buy the paper to read Jay Mariotti. I doubt many do. People buy the paper to read the news. Mariotti happens to be on the inside of the first page of the sports section. I read it, like I read the other columnists.

He's not going to go away by not discussing him on Soxtalk.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
Question:

What would be more valuable on the back page of the Sun Times:

Jay Marriotti

Palehose 7

Raise your steins!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
This belief that somehow not speaking of him on this board will somehow cause him to go away is pure nonsense. I don't buy the paper to read Jay Mariotti. I doubt many do. People buy the paper to read the news. Mariotti happens to be on the inside of the first page of the sports section. I read it, like I read the other columnists.

He's not going to go away by not discussing him on Soxtalk.

No but you're glorifying him by ranting about him for several pages. There might be a member of this site that doesn't regularly read his columns that decides to pick up the next Sun Times to see what the fuss is about.

EDIT: By the way someone at the Sun Times can check out this site and see that there is a 10 page thread about Mariotti every other week. Whether the thread is bashing him or not isn't the point.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
No but your glorifying him by ranting about him for several pages. There might be a member of this site that doesn't regularly read his columns that decides to pick up the next Sun Times to see what the fuss is about.

Or vice versa.

No but your glorifying him by ranting about him for several pages. There might be a member of this site that doesn't regularly read his columns that decides to pick up the next Sun Times to see what the fuss is about.

EDIT: By the way someone at the Sun Times can check out this site and see that there is a 10 page thread about Mariotti every other week. Whether the thread is bashing him or not isn't the point.

And what would happen if someone at the Sun-Times checked out this site and saw that there was a 10 page thread about Mariotti every other week?

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
And what would happen if someone at the Sun-Times checked out this site and saw that there was a 10 page thread about Mariotti every other week?

Take marketing 101 and get back to me.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
Take marketing 101 and get back to me.

Oh, is that so?

Is it that simple, genius?

There are always repurcussions when you piss off enough people. It doesn't matter if people are talking about you or not. Ask Don Imus.

You piss off enough people, it doesn't matter who you are, advertisers get worried.

You may have taken Marketing 101, but the better question is, did you take Marketing 301?

Did I miss Jay Mariotti call Ken Harrelson a "nappy headed ho" along there somewhere, because that is what it took for Don Imus to get fired. It wasn't pissing people off, it was using racial slurs. Those two analogies aren't even close.

Besides, Rush Limbaugh has been pissing off people for about 20 years now, when does he get booted off of the air?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
Did I miss Jay Mariotti call Ken Harrelson a "nappy headed ho" along there somewhere, because that is what it took for Don Imus to get fired. It wasn't pissing people off, it was using racial slurs. Those two analogies aren't even close.

Besides, Rush Limbaugh has been pissing off people for about 20 years now, when does he get booted off of the air?

Are you that naive that you believe the CBS radio or MSNBC gave a rats ass what he said?

No. They were worried about advertisers pulling out of the show.

The racial slurs may be what got Imus canned, but the end result is the same. Piss off enough readers and you'll be gone. It's all about the $.

And I'm sorry, but let's not compare Jay to Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern (the inevitable next comparison), because those people actually have a following. No one likes Jay Mariotti. Have you ever heard anyone say they actually like his columns? Rarely.

No but you're glorifying him by ranting about him for several pages. There might be a member of this site that doesn't regularly read his columns that decides to pick up the next Sun Times to see what the fuss is about.

I really dont think the Suntimes looks at Soxtalk and sees a long thread and goes "oh my god, look at the publicity".

I do think people like Ozzie and Hawk talking about him does cause more harm.

QUOTE(iamshack @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
Are you that naive that you believe the CBS radio or MSNBC gave a rats ass what he said?

No. They were worried about advertisers pulling out of the show.

The racial slurs may be what got Imus canned, but the end result is the same. Piss off enough readers and you'll be gone. It's all about the $.

And I'm sorry, but let's not compare Jay to Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern (the inevitable next comparison), because those people actually have a following. No one likes Jay Mariotti. Have you ever heard anyone say they actually like his columns? Rarely.

Hey you were the one who started comparing him to Don Imus, slap your own hand for that stuff.

Regardless the point remains, people are reading his s***, and they are talking about it, which is more than the ST can say about most of its columnists. If there are people talking about, that means people are reading it, which means someone is buying that psuedo-tabloid newspaper. Burying your head in the sand to this, doesn't change the fact that this is exactly what keeps guys like this employed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Hey you were the one who started comparing him to Don Imus, slap your own hand for that stuff.

Regardless the point remains, people are reading his s***, and they are talking about it, which is more than the ST can say about most of its columnists. If there are people talking about, that means people are reading it, which means someone is buying that psuedo-tabloid newspaper. Burying your head in the sand to this, doesn't change the fact that this is exactly what keeps guys like this employed.

And you were the one who said comparing him to Imus was a bad analogy. When did I ever state that it was a bad analogy? I'm simply stating that Jay could eventually dismissed in a similar (yet less publicized) light.

As for people reading and talking about Mariotti's columns, I think you exaggerate heavily the benefit of that to the Sun-Times. I think some hard core Sox fans might discuss him and participate in a thread such as this. But the average fan simply forms an opinion from what it is that he writes. If he continues to be allowed to write nonsense based on untruths, the average Sox fan will believe it. In my view, it must be combatted with the truth, which the organization goes out of its way to do.

While that may help Mariotti and the Sun-Times sell some papers in the short-term (as I said before), it will eventually come back to bite them both.

I happen to think the Sun-Times will recognize that at some point in the near future should Jay's columns continue to be of the same character and tone as the last few.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
The more things change.. the more they stay the same. :cheers

Where the hell have you been?

Reagrding Mariotti though. I stopped reading the ST because of him and Couch two years ago. The negative and purly fictitious crap they write about everything is not worth the effort.

Marketing 101 will tell you that you want to sell what the consumer is willing to buy, The thing with Mariotti is that cub fans will read this crap and then Sox fans will read when he bashes the cubs. He can sit atop the fence and bash everyone regarding baseball. When things are going bad for a team he piles on and then hops on the bandwagon when things start going right. The eternal windsock. The fact the Sox call him out forces him to a degree to defend his position.

Too much negative publicity will be the downfall of anything. The good writers at the ST will pay the price of being associated with the stigma of a rag which the ST Sports section has become regarding their columnists.

Because there are not threads about Telander, does that mean the ST will fire him? Negative pub is sometimes not a good thing.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:47 AM)

If you use swear words, as Guillen did, you might be referred to in the newspaper as "potty mouthed," a term that is so matronly, it's hard to know where to begin. If this keeps up, the Sox aren't going to need a manager, they're going to need a schoolmarm.

LOL, Morrissey always has at least one column flipping the bird to Mariotti per year.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 22, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Where the hell have you been?

Working, spring training, working, vacation, working, another vacation, etc, etc..

Had I known what's been going on around here I'd have been back sooner. :lolhitting