Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
People who say Halo is overrated probably are basing that opinion on singleplayer. That's fine, Halo 1's singleplayer was good but not groundbreaking, 2 was a disappointment at best. It doesn't matter, the masses consume Halo for online console FPS play. What is so overrated about that? The fact is that alot of people love the competition. When you buy Halo 3, you are buying membership into a huge online community with competitions, rewards, and downloadable content. It's by far the biggest FPS community in console gaming and maybe in all of gaming.

Personally, i don't like playing Halo online or any other console FPS's, but I understand why people do. I am more interested in the Halo 3 singleplayer, which we don't know much about yet. You can bet the ending will be better than Halo 2, though, since they aren't making another one. But go ahead and keep calling things overrated without backing up your arguments if it makes you feel better.

I've played both and I still consider it the most overrated franchise ever. It did nothing to advance the fps genre. Nothing new at all. Wow, you put a bunch of people into a world together and they all shoot each other. I was playing games like that (counter-strike...prolly the best ever online fps) since the late 90's. That game was 10 times better than Halo. Normally i'd say to each is own, but I've played numerous fps shooters, the medal of honor series (better than halo), , call of duty (better than halo), farcry (better than halo), half life (WAY better than halo), , etc etc. Halo to me is just the same old run of the mill fps that offered nothing new except the option to drive a car around. Yank.

There, that made me feel better.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Halo doesnt interest me, never did.

I'm looking forward to Turning Point:Fall of Liberty though, I like games with a "what if?" storyline.

You mean, "What if Master Chief jumped out of a space ship and killed everyone in sight" doesn't work for you? ;)

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 08:10 PM)
Perfect Dark was crap and the Timesplitters games are mediocre (not bad for a console though).

You might as well say Haze = Halo 3 since both developers get a lot more hype than they deserve.

You've probably never played the game then.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
You've probably never played the game then.

What was the framerate on Perfect Dark? Like 15 WITH the RAM pack? With the exception of having bots, it was a downgrade from Goldeneye.

Plus, it had to compete with UT'99 and Counterstrike, both of which blow it away.

So, Ive been asking around to a lot of people to recommend some PS3 games for me and have been getting lots of results so I decided to do something new.

I walk into the Game Crazy by my house and say to the guy, I just bought a PS3, what are the two first games I should get?

He grabs Resistance first and puts it down, then he grabs Madden. I tell him I already have Madden, so he puts it back and grabs Motor Storm.

So now, not knowing anything about these two games I own them. I remember hearing things about both these games in this thread so hopefully they are good and I just didnt waste 130 bux.

If theres one thing it looks like the guy who worked at this place knew it was video games.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
So, Ive been asking around to a lot of people to recommend some PS3 games for me and have been getting lots of results so I decided to do something new.

I walk into the Game Crazy by my house and say to the guy, I just bought a PS3, what are the two first games I should get?

He grabs Resistance first and puts it down, then he grabs Madden. I tell him I already have Madden, so he puts it back and grabs Motor Storm.

So now, not knowing anything about these two games I own them. I remember hearing things about both these games in this thread so hopefully they are good and I just didnt waste 130 bux.

If theres one thing it looks like the guy who worked at this place knew it was video games.

Well, everyone has told you Resistance. I would have recommended Rainbow Six: Vegas but I remember you saying you really aren't into shooters. Motorstorm, I'm not really into those type of games, but it looks like it good be fun.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
I've played both and I still consider it the most overrated franchise ever. It did nothing to advance the fps genre. Nothing new at all. Wow, you put a bunch of people into a world together and they all shoot each other. I was playing games like that (counter-strike...prolly the best ever online fps) since the late 90's. That game was 10 times better than Halo. Normally i'd say to each is own, but I've played numerous fps shooters, the medal of honor series (better than halo), , call of duty (better than halo), farcry (better than halo), half life (WAY better than halo), , etc etc. Halo to me is just the same old run of the mill fps that offered nothing new except the option to drive a car around. Yank.

There, that made me feel better.

Warhawk has the potential to change the FPS online world. Is anyone buying this game? It's PS3 exclusive, though...

I agree with the person who said Half Life was way better than Halo.

Half Life 2 was simply the best 1st person shooter I've ever played hands down.

And I can't wait for Episode 2 to come out next year. That along with GTAIV are the 2 games I'm most hanging out for ATM.

Also, can I ask how much a Nintendo Wii is currently over there ATM?

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)

Those two are pretty solid. Resistance is clearly the best game out for it, and Motorstorm is somewhat in the running. I'd look at Ninja Gaiden Sigma, that a good slasher-style game. Unfortunately that's about all that's out right now outside of sports games and Elder Scrolls:Oblivion if you don't have that on another console/PC.

There are some other fairly interesting ones coming out soon though. If you play online Warhawk (comes out this week) looks like it'll be a pretty good aerial combat game with some ground sections, though there's no offline mode. Lair will be out the week after, which looks kind of like Warhawk with dragons and an offline mode. Heavenly Sword is also out about that time, though it's getting somewhat mixed reviews (consensus seems to be looks awesome and has a good story, but the combat and gameplay in general is only decent, if you trust the reviews of course). After that all the games I'd REALLY be interested in are out in November, though some of the sports games, Folklore, and Stranglehold (another shooter though, if you're not big on them could easily wait until Haze) could be decent.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
I agree with the person who said Half Life was way better than Halo.

Half Life 2 was simply the best 1st person shooter I've ever played hands down.

And I can't wait for Episode 2 to come out next year. That along with GTAIV are the 2 games I'm most hanging out for ATM.

Also, can I ask how much a Nintendo Wii is currently over there ATM?

$250, IF you can find one DBAH0. I bought one long ago and don't play it much. Hell, I have Super Paper Mario still in plastic, and I've played Mario Strikers Charged once since buying it.

I'm telling you guys, if you are up late at night and live in the states, buy your games from Jellyfish.com, its in my sig. I paid $36 for Mario Strikers Charged new, and $21 for NFS:Carbon on the 360, new.

Right now, I am addicted to the HD-DVDs on the 360, not playing alot of games.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
I am so pissed. Lost a game I should have won in the 4th quarter. now 2-2.

Your on PS3 and not 360 right? I just started playing online and was pummeling some guy and he asked me for a friendly quit and I said no and now its stuck on the pause menu. Its gonna suck if I get a disconnect for this.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
that sucks... that usually doesn't happen, for me at least. I always try and make sure I face players with DNF% below 10.

Do you ever accept those friendly quits? Thats kind of stupid to me, why dont they just play unranked if they dont want the loss.

EGM September:

"Reviews

Bioshock 10, 10, 10 GOTM

Heavenly Sword 8, 8, 9

Warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5

MySims 6, 5.5, 6.0

Sonic Rush Adventure 7.5, 7.0, 7.0

Wild Arms 5 8, 6.5, 5

Eternal Sonata 6, 8, 7

Madden 2008 9, 9, 8.5

NHL 2008 (EA) 9.5, 9, 9

Medal of Honor Airborne 6.5, 8, 5.5

Rumors

-Capcom working on Okami Wii

-Kingdom Hearts spinoffs/prequels for various systems similar to what Square-Enix is doing with FF & DQ

-Castlevania for 360 and PS3 in the works

-Oblivion PSP canned?

-New Jak and Daxter game from Naughty Dog after Uncharted"

Surprised Bioshock got all tens considering they've only done that like 12 times in their 20 or so year history.

EDI: I don't have this or anything and I took it from another source. They said Warhawk was deducted a full point off each score for being +30$. So it got great scores from the usually tough EGM reviewers.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
EGM September:

"Reviews

Bioshock 10, 10, 10 GOTM

Heavenly Sword 8, 8, 9

Warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5

MySims 6, 5.5, 6.0

Sonic Rush Adventure 7.5, 7.0, 7.0

Wild Arms 5 8, 6.5, 5

Eternal Sonata 6, 8, 7

Madden 2008 9, 9, 8.5

NHL 2008 (EA) 9.5, 9, 9

Medal of Honor Airborne 6.5, 8, 5.5

Rumors

-Capcom working on Okami Wii

-Kingdom Hearts spinoffs/prequels for various systems similar to what Square-Enix is doing with FF & DQ

-Castlevania for 360 and PS3 in the works

-Oblivion PSP canned?

-New Jak and Daxter game from Naughty Dog after Uncharted"

Surprised Bioshock got all tens considering they've only done that like 12 times in their 20 or so year history.

EDI: I don't have this or anything and I took it from another source. They said Warhawk was deducted a full point off each score for being +30$. So it got great scores from the usually tough EGM reviewers.

Hmm. my reactions:

Bioshock - amazed it got a 10. It took me like 6 hours just to get the stupid thing to work correctly - I had no sound after the intro movie - and the two reviews I read said that people on Vista couldn't run it without difficulties. How's a game a perfect 10/10 if you can't get it running properly or without headache? Even when I got it going I wasn't THAT impressed. The water looked pretty amazing, but other than that it was just a good fps, but nothing really ground breaking.

Madden - how this game got above an 8 is beyond me. It's a venti with a little extra whip cream instead of a plain grande (for you Starbucks addicts like myself). I still prefer 2003.

Medal of Honor - this shocked me. Every one has been solid but Rising Sun, which was one of those games that forgot to go through the QA process before it was shipped. Everything I have read, including gamespots hands-on preview posted today, made it seem like this was going to revitalize the series. I guess we'll see.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Do you ever accept those friendly quits? Thats kind of stupid to me, why dont they just play unranked if they dont want the loss.

I never do. I'll except someone concede defeat or I'll grant them mercy, but I want the W most importantly. I don't play online just for fun. Building up your record and such is part of what makes playing online so fun, IMO.