Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Do they transfer the game saves and live account and everything from the harddrive? my buddy got his back with all that in-tact so I think that might be false information.

I'm fine though, I've got my 3 year warranty and if I havent seen those lights by November 2010 well, I'm going to Best Buy to make my change regardless.

nah you just take out the hard drive and send in the console

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably be picking up CoD4 and NHL08 pretty soon. I'll probably also rent Assassins Creed.

Now all I need is a flatscreen HDTV.

I have all three of those games, great pick ups

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
As long as you ignore IGN, the most respected gaming Website out there, which rated Halo 3 higher.

I subscribe to IGN but even I'll admit its 360 editors are a joke.

I believe pretty much everywhere else had CoD4 as the better online play.

But I do have a long list of complaints for CoD4. Blind grenades, terrible grenade detection, martyrdom, a few of the other power-ups, "Host ended game", overpowered choppers, and of course the terrible servers. It's near impossible to get into a game at high time. This game desperatly needs a patch, and now.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
I subscribe to IGN but even I'll admit its 360 editors are a joke.

I believe pretty much everywhere else had CoD4 as the better online play.

But I do have a long list of complaints for CoD4. Blind grenades, terrible grenade detection, martyrdom, a few of the other power-ups, "Host ended game", overpowered choppers, and of course the terrible servers. It's near impossible to get into a game at high time. This game desperatly needs a patch, and now.

whats so bad about that?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
That should have been the first purchase. These games look previous gen on anything but an HD television!

Well I better get to Best Buy or Tigerdirect soon then.

Any suggestions Steve? I hear Samsung and Panasonic are good.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Call of Duty 4 may be the best console online shooter to date. It blows Halo 3's out of the water, and almost everything I've read says the same.

Nah, Unreal Tournament III trumps them all. :)

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)

Buy a Samsung, the "Game mode" is ridiculous.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)

You have come to the right place my good man.

I did all the research in the world... and wound up purchasing (only 7 months ago, so still new) a 40" LCD 1080p Samsung from Best Buy. My mother in law spent a grand more on a Sony and it looks no better. Just make sure you get two HDMI inputs minimum on the one you get, as I assume youd want to have TV/video games both, and get the HDMI hookup for your 360... it makes a world of a difference and looks gorgeous.

Also, to save money, you could go with 720p... the difference is HARDLY noticeable. You can save a lot of money that way.

I'd be happy to PM you some product numbers too, if you're interested.

Edited by Steve9347

I own a 27" Samsung LCD thats about a year old and a 46" Sony rear projection that's about 4 years old. Both are great tv's. My suggestion would be to go to the store and look at a couple you like and write the model numbers down. Then go home and read as many reviews as possible. Then start searching for the lowest price. Most of the time you can get the same base model Samsung at Sams or Wal-mart a lot cheaper. I say base model because most of the time Best Buy/Circuit City models have additional features that you'd never need but they charge extra for. For example instead of spending $1000 on my 27 in from Best Buy I got essentially the same tv for $700 because it did not include a built-in cable card, something most people never need and I think it only had 2 hdmi slots instead of 3.

Also, while you're at it, read a lot about the 720p v 1080p difference. People have bought expensive 1080p models, that are often two, three or four times as expensive, because they think they are getting a better product, but in reality their sources are not 1080p and won't be for years and years. So it's like buying a Ferrari that requires Extra plus gold platinum fuel for the best performance, but your local gas station only carries regular. Currently unless you have a ps3 or other hi-def player (not sure about what the 360 puts out) there are no 1080p sources. HD stations are still stuck at 720p or 1080i. But in addition to that, until you get into the 50+ inch range, even with the difference in sources (i.e. getting 1080i versus a 1080p), experts argue that a normal person can't see the difference. This opinion, obviously, is met with some contention, as most people want to feel like they've spent an extra grand justifiably. But read around and consider what you're using it for.

For me, the biggest thing in the TV is the blacks. The better the black, the better the tv. If the tv's blacks are more like dark, dark grays, stay clear. Most of the tv's will probably look like that because the store jacks up the settings to the highest brightness and contrast to battle the store lights (and make you look at the tv), but if you look closely you'll be able to tell the difference between the quality of the colors.

Steve, i'd appreciate if you could PM me a few product numbers. I'd really like to see more.

Also, Jenks, thank you also. I did a little bit of research on 1080p vs 720p myself and have done a small bit of comparison so far. Now I know what else to look for :)

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
I know this probably is asked all the time, but where's a good place to find a nintendo Wii? Or am I just better off waiting a while.

Good luck is all I can say. Stores tend to get them on Sunday mornings, that's about all that can be said.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I still have to open it. I loved 2004, so I have my hopes high.

It's extremely different from CoD, as I'm sure you can imagine. The two shouldn't even really be compared. Both are great in their own right. But, for kicks, UTIII > Halo 3

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
You have come to the right place my good man.

I did all the research in the world... and wound up purchasing (only 7 months ago, so still new) a 40" LCD 1080p Samsung from Best Buy. My mother in law spent a grand more on a Sony and it looks no better. Just make sure you get two HDMI inputs minimum on the one you get, as I assume youd want to have TV/video games both, and get the HDMI hookup for your 360... it makes a world of a difference and looks gorgeous.

Also, to save money, you could go with 720p... the difference is HARDLY noticeable. You can save a lot of money that way.

I'd be happy to PM you some product numbers too, if you're interested.

Actually if the TV is under 42" you cant actually tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Screen is to small with less space for the lines to cover. This is why you don't see Samsung 32" tv's at 1080p like sharp or sony. Because its pointless. Save the money if your looking for a tv under 42", don't get 1080p.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
If your going to buy a new TV I work at the Sears electronics in woodfield mall. Buy from me so I can make commision :P

I might take you up on that. I work at the Woodfield Corporate Center on Martingale right across from Streets of Woodfield :)

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 8, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Good luck is all I can say. Stores tend to get them on Sunday mornings, that's about all that can be said.

Around here Blockbuster's sell systems and not many people know about. I was there the other day and they had a few wi's available for sale.

Actually, at 40", you have to be sitting more than 6 feet away to notice any difference between 720p and 1080p. There is a pretty decent chart here that gives a viewing distance vs. Screen Size comparison.

For the money, and the quality, very few TVs touch the Samsung LN-T4665. 46" 1080p/24 Hz. It is down to about $1500 now, which is an absolute steal for a TV this great. They have their 120 Hz version out now, LN-T4671, but it is still way too expensive for the average consumer.