Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(almagest @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Depends on if your PS3 has built in wireless support or not. This link provides instructions on how to set it up.

As for the router... Newegg is probably the best place to pick up computer hardware online. If you're only going to be using the wireless for gaming on your PS3, go with a wireless g router that has some sort of range boost, and prioritizes gaming traffic. Also ensure that your router supports WPA/WPA2 encryption, and be sure to enable it. It's extremely dangerous to run an unencrypted wireless network.

If you're going to use wireless on all your PCs, plan on doing lots of internal file transfers/streaming (streaming music or movies, or running any kind of media PC) if your walls/floors are super thick or you live in an older building with lots of iron, consider a wireless N router for the increased range and transfer speeds. You probably won't even approach 54 mbps while gaming, but your local network could make use of the increased bandwidth.

The biggest reason to use N is not the speed, its the ability to drive the signal through the walls via MIMO and the lack of people in the neighborhood using 5 gigahertz. On my block we started off a 2 years ago with me and one other guy using wireless. Now its about 10 to 15 wireless networks running in the same neighborhood. Most people set up their wireless and dont touch it again. So when someone jumps on the same frequency, they wind up with dead spots in their house.

The tip about WPA is a great one. Unless you want to have other people using your signal make sure you use WPA or WPA2. And if anyone thinks its difficult or no one would think of using your signal. I was at a party a few weeks ago where the father of my wife's friend who is 65 was telling us how he doesnt need broadband because one of his neighbors has it, and doesnt lock it down. So he is using it for free.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
The biggest reason to use N is not the speed, its the ability to drive the signal through the walls via MIMO and the lack of people in the neighborhood using 5 gigahertz. On my block we started off a 2 years ago with me and one other guy using wireless. Now its about 10 to 15 wireless networks running in the same neighborhood. Most people set up their wireless and dont touch it again. So when someone jumps on the same frequency, they wind up with dead spots in their house.

The tip about WPA is a great one. Unless you want to have other people using your signal make sure you use WPA or WPA2. And if anyone thinks its difficult or no one would think of using your signal. I was at a party a few weeks ago where the father of my wife's friend who is 65 was telling us how he doesnt need broadband because one of his neighbors has it, and doesnt lock it down. So he is using it for free.

Hmmm. I have my network encrypted, for sure... but I wonder if I have someone on the same frequency as me, because my laptop SUCKS balls right now at home, but when I hard wire it in, it flies. Time to change my frequency, or get a booster, one or the other.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Hmmm. I have my network encrypted, for sure... but I wonder if I have someone on the same frequency as me, because my laptop SUCKS balls right now at home, but when I hard wire it in, it flies. Time to change my frequency, or get a booster, one or the other.

Download Netstumbler, turn it on a laptop if you have one with a wireless card and walk around your house doing a survey if you can. You should see what is running and what channels they are using. You should get an idea of signal strength of your neighbors on it as well, and you can see if one of your neighbors are sitting in the same frequency.

In general practice, you want to avoid the default channels of 1, 6 and 11. They are the most commonly used channels in the 2.4 gigahertz range as they are default for most products.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
I'm still taking recruits for my World of Warcraft private server.

Play for free!

x2 the gold and item drops

new post-blizzard content

WoW Wednesday nights.

avalon.tomthefool.com

we've had a bunch of people sign up in the last few days. Thanks to anyone on soxtalk that's playing. send me a PM if you need more info.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm still itching to try out Rock Band whenever it decides to make an appearance down here.

I played it on New Years Eve. It was fun. Granted, I was also hammered off my butt. Oddly enough I woke up the next morning with the same guilt I would have had if I had gotten drunk and slept with a gaggle if circus performers. Not something I ever plan to do again anytime soon.

Wow im really happy. Microsoft sent me a brand new console made on Christmas to replace my 360 that died! I'm so glad they are actually making an effort to fix the RRoD by sending out brand new consoles instead of refurbished ones!

So who's looking forward to MLB 2K8? I enjoyed last year's version, but saw problems with both the hitting and pitching mechanics. Supposedly, those are being addressed for this year's version.

Also, how's MLB 2007/2008 on PS3? After MVP went college, I started playing that series on PS2, and thought it was pretty solid.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
Me. 2k's been very straightforward with the fact that last year's game was not close to their goal and this years will be way better.

I don't want to get too excited because every year they say this. Last year they took the step of adding more than 10 paths the ball could fly. I couldn't stand that in the 06 version. Hopefully this year they fix some of the other issues, which to me is fielding. I always felt like I was perfoming the action a half a second after I pressed the button. It made everything seem sluggish.

It's really a shame that the MVP series can't come back. Does anyone know when that license with 2k ends? I'd easily drop $100 on MVP 05 upgraded with next gen graphics.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
It's really a shame that the MVP series can't come back. Does anyone know when that license with 2k ends? I'd easily drop $100 on MVP 05 upgraded with next gen graphics.

That license doesn't end for quite a while, but if you can get your hands on a copy of MVP '05 for PC, you might want to check out http://www.mvpmods.com/. You can get updated rosters, and a few graphical fixes/improvements there.

There used to be a similar site for the old High Heat series, which is still my favorite.

Edited by almagest

i wasn't aware there were so many gamers here on ST

i noticed there are a few of you guys who play WOW, have any of you tried FFXI? it's a bit more hardcore and harder to just "pick up and play", but IMO has a deeper end-game, and it's more console-ish of an MMO (Think Final Fantasy, but multiplayer). I was a FF freak when I was younger, which is what tempted me to try out Final Fantasy XI, and I've been playing it for years

also, i made a thread a while back about MLB Power Pros for the Wii, one of the deepest baseball games that I've played. It's mainly a baseball simulation game with as much depth as it has in pitching and hitting. fielding is very difficult for a novice player, which I actually like because it takes time to get really good. I guess some people would rather play a more "arcade-y" style baseball game.

some PC games that I'm currently playing:

The Ship (Source Mod, very fun). Think Spy vs. Spy for nintendo, but with more players, and on a Cruise Ship, in First-Person view

Crysis Multiplayer (GREAT game, even better if you've got the machine to run it on high/very high settings in DirectX10 mode)

Team Fortress 2

Frontlines: Fuel of War Beta (I love this game, I can't wait for it to come out. Made by the guy who created the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942)

Unreal Tournament 3 (I'm terrible at it, but it's kinda fun when you can find someone who's around your own skill level to play against)

sorry for the rambling

off-topic: did anyone stay up late enough to watch the Djokovic/Federer match last night? I'm not even a tennis fan and it was AMAZING

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
The Ship (Source Mod, very fun). Think Spy vs. Spy for nintendo, but with more players, and on a Cruise Ship, in First-Person view

Crysis Multiplayer (GREAT game, even better if you've got the machine to run it on high/very high settings in DirectX10 mode)

Team Fortress 2

Frontlines: Fuel of War Beta (I love this game, I can't wait for it to come out. Made by the guy who created the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942)

Unreal Tournament 3 (I'm terrible at it, but it's kinda fun when you can find someone who's around your own skill level to play against)

The Ship is awesome. I picked up the trial version awhile back, I have to pick up the full version one of these days. TF2 is the worst game I've ever played. Thanks to Portal though(Best game of 2007 IMO), the Orange Box was worth the purchase. UT3 I have for PS3. It's hard to play after putting in so many hours into CoD4.