Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Nixon @ May 18, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Most of the stuff I hated was story/world related. Still wondering why the hell Dad bothered leaving Project Purity/The Citadel/Rivet City, growing up sheltered in a dying vault is somehow preferable to the reasonably secure Rivet City and the main hub of the BOS? Really? What the f*** were the Mutants doing in Vault 87? What the hell was the point? Just to have Super Mutants in Fallout 3's east coast? How about that in Fallout 1 + 2 and grand total of TWO nuclear devices were set off and Fallout 3 has them dispensed like candy. A lot of the game just smacks of 'not getting it' and pretty much throwing out all the themes that made the first two Fallout games so interesting.

/lore nerd rant off

The shooting mechanics were also pretty boring. Mostly because 99% of enemies just ran right up to you and swatted at you til they died. FUN! Ramping up the difficulty didn't help either as it just made them bullet sponges + nerfed your weapons. FUN! Mercifully, you could bypass most combat by just hitting the 'win now' button, aka VATS.

Games have advanced to the point that we're capable of portraying huge worlds in striking detail but the game play is still barely a step above "OW MY BALLS" (Gears o War/etc) ... I was pretty underwhelmed by Fallout, mostly because it was exactly what I expected. I am looking forward to Fallout: New Vegas since it's being built by the ex-Black Isle guys.

Never played the earlier Fallouts. This has nothing to do with what I'm about to say.

Earlier I defended the VATS system (I think, and if I didn't, I would have.). I can excuse a clunky fighting system in the American/Euro RPG if they get the old school RPG elements right. Oblivion did it right up until they decided that AI would level up with you. There was an abundance of things to do on the side of the main quest. Fallout 3, there wasn't. The side quests did not pay off unless one got the body armor that they couldn't use until 40 gameplay hours later. There were no guilds to join, no special weapons to find that greatly benefited the player, no epic quests that were agonizingly boring (think NOTR in Final Fantasy 7). It was simply: get ammo, blow heads up, find pop, avoid the fast bastards with huge claws. A post apocalyptic world should've been about exploration (something the world they presented easily could have easily featured), but was not. Not one single f***ing time did I enter a cave or a dusty room with blown up desks and shelves and think, "Maybe I'll find something awesome in here." Nope, instead, twelve shotgun shells, a half broken rifle and maybe some drugs. Nothing else, ever.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Never played the earlier Fallouts. This has nothing to do with what I'm about to say.

Earlier I defended the VATS system (I think, and if I didn't, I would have.). I can excuse a clunky fighting system in the American/Euro RPG if they get the old school RPG elements right. Oblivion did it right up until they decided that AI would level up with you. There was an abundance of things to do on the side of the main quest. Fallout 3, there wasn't. The side quests did not pay off unless one got the body armor that they couldn't use until 40 gameplay hours later. There were no guilds to join, no special weapons to find that greatly benefited the player, no epic quests that were agonizingly boring (think NOTR in Final Fantasy 7). It was simply: get ammo, blow heads up, find pop, avoid the fast bastards with huge claws. A post apocalyptic world should've been about exploration (something the world they presented easily could have easily featured), but was not. Not one single f***ing time did I enter a cave or a dusty room with blown up desks and shelves and think, "Maybe I'll find something awesome in here." Nope, instead, twelve shotgun shells, a half broken rifle and maybe some drugs. Nothing else, ever.

Pretty much. You were sure to find the same crap in every place you went. I didn't need 500 lbs of scrap metal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2009 -> 05:12 AM)
XBox crashed on me.

so I went and picked up a few SNES games. For the first time in my life, I played a Metroid game. Those are pretty fun eh.

I'm a shameless Metroid fanboy. That series is f***ing awesome.

The new Wii Punchout commercials are pretty funny. I love that they have Mac running around in the pink jumpsuit in New York.

Its a shame that they have to completely disconnect the series from Tyson, he was super scary to fight

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
The new Wii Punchout commercials are pretty funny. I love that they have Mac running around in the pink jumpsuit in New York.

Its a shame that they have to completely disconnect the series from Tyson, he was super scary to fight

Mr. Dream was no push over.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 19, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
I just saw, yet again, that the PS3 sales are STILL lagging behind. Ouch. This was supposed to be "the year."

The ps2 actually outsold the ps3 this last month, which is pretty ridiculous. They did design a great system just the price is too ridiculous for most people to pay, as soon as it drops 100 dollars it should move up the charts.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
The ps2 actually outsold the ps3 this last month, which is pretty ridiculous. They did design a great system just the price is too ridiculous for most people to pay, as soon as it drops 100 dollars it should move up the charts.

Its down to $399. I dont get it. You are getting by far the most advanced and sophisticated gaming system, blu-ray player capabilities, internet search ability, PS store, music/video/picture storage etc...And, they are finally carrying some good exclusive series as well. Maybe it's the economy or X-Box fanboys refusing to make a switch or the Wii carving out a larger niche than expected, but I bought my PS3 when it was still $599 and I don't regret it for a second.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Its down to $399. I dont get it. You are getting by far the most advanced and sophisticated gaming system, blu-ray player capabilities, internet search ability, PS store, music/video/picture storage etc...And, they are finally carrying some good exclusive series as well. Maybe it's the economy or X-Box fanboys refusing to make a switch or the Wii carving out a larger niche than expected, but I bought my PS3 when it was still $599 and I don't regret it for a second.

s***ty (or maybe just overly ambitious) marketing + prohibitively expensive + limited exclusive lineup + bad economy = failure. I really thought Sony would be able to overcome it, but it's been going on years now, I don't know why they're still stalling.

Maybe YOU don't regret it and I'd never fault you for that, but it's really not that simple. People won't just hop on board. I think another price drop has to happen.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Is the PS3 downward compatible (play PS2 or even PS1 games on a PS3)?

Yes but you have to have the right version, I think they built cheaper models that aren't (someone correct me on this?)

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
s***ty (or maybe just overly ambitious) marketing + prohibitively expensive + limited exclusive lineup + bad economy = failure. I really thought Sony would be able to overcome it, but it's been going on years now, I don't know why they're still stalling.

Maybe YOU don't regret it and I'd never fault you for that, but it's really not that simple. People won't just hop on board. I think another price drop has to happen.

The exclusive lineup has gotten better over the past year; Ratchet & Clank, MLB The Show, SOCOM, Killzone, Infamous, LBP, MGS, Uncharted and soon MAG). I completely understand the initial flop as it was $200 more expensive and had pretty much no exclusives outside of Resistance. It has come a long ways though and just now are devs starting to harness the massive potential of the system. The PS3 flat out is capable of things that no other platform is.

The price is still a bit pricey, but it's almost worth it for the Blu-Ray player alone.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Is the PS3 downward compatible (play PS2 or even PS1 games on a PS3)?

Depends on what version you get. It should clearly be stated if you look though.

To be fair, all of the home consoles bombed last month including the Wii. It was the first sign that the industry is vulnerable to recession, though the DS did put up record numbers. PS3 really needs a price cut now that people aren't willing to pay for the premium. I figure they'll be one at e3.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
The exclusive lineup has gotten better over the past year; Ratchet & Clank, MLB The Show, SOCOM, Killzone, Infamous, LBP, MGS, Uncharted and soon MAG). I completely understand the initial flop as it was $200 more expensive and had pretty much no exclusives outside of Resistance. It has come a long ways though and just now are devs starting to harness the massive potential of the system. The PS3 flat out is capable of things that no other platform is.

The price is still a bit pricey, but it's almost worth it for the Blu-Ray player alone.

Depends on what version you get. It should clearly be stated if you look though.

I really just don't see that this strategy helps Sony sell consoles. The Trojan-horse strategy obviously helped win the format war but it's just been dragging the PS3 down.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)

agreed completely. I bought mine after christmas, and everything all together cost me around 1000 bucks (controllers, 2 games HDMI cord, as well as the system and taxes).

I could probably get all the same stuff now for around 600 bucks, but I dont regret the extra money spent at all. The PS3 has by far exceeded my expectations.

I've only played one game to completion on my ps3 (LBP) but the blu ray functionality is nice. Was bored by Uncharted and KZ2 and the R&C games hold no appeal for me. Anything multiplatform goes PC first or 360 depending on how into the multiplayer I'm going to get.

and the wii gathers dust.

Edited by Nixon

Yeah I bought my ps3 almost 2 years ago (2 in August) and even though it was expensive when I think about how many hours you can play it, its not really that bad.

Going to the movies for 2 hours can cost $20, so if you play your PS3 200 hours a year that comes down to like $5 an hour, which isnt bad for entertainment. Not to mention 200 hours is not that much time.

They were caught off guard by the 360 and rushed to market. I still think the only thing that keeps the PS3 from being perfect is the online component. (Not a big fan of the DS3 either but I can live with it)... Oh and the 360 took a huge step back for me with the NXE. What a piece of s***.