Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
The MW2 multiplayer is supposed to be seriously flawed. No dedicated servers, everything is P2P (huge host advantage), hosts can drop/rage-quit causing the game to be delayed while it is shifted to another player, no modding, no server variables, no custom maps, no kicking cheaters/hackers, no console, only 18 players max...

That's no different from COD4. In fact, it's a bit of an improvement. I don't recall any console game allowing custom maps and modding (except Unreal Tournament III). But I imagine you're talking about the PC version.

Why does anyone care about how many people can play in a match though?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
That's no different from COD4. In fact, it's a bit of an improvement. I don't recall any console game allowing custom maps and modding (except Unreal Tournament III). But I imagine you're talking about the PC version.

Why does anyone care about how many people can play in a match though?

Yeah, I'm talking PC. COD4 on PC had virtually none of those problems I listed.

Game size can be important for clans who have a lot of players and want to have them all playing together. It's also nice when map-makers create larger-scale maps, though that won't be a factor for MW2.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
Yeah, I'm talking PC. COD4 on PC had virtually none of those problems I listed.

Game size can be important for clans who have a lot of players and want to have them all playing together. It's also nice when map-makers create larger-scale maps, though that won't be a factor for MW2.

You're right, the PC version has lost a lost a lot of things that PC gamers are pissed about.. but I have a 360 and have none of those problems.. The multiplayer on the 360 in phenomenal, best ive ever played.. And I dont even have all my friends to play with yet, it will only get better..

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
...and it's a renter.

Not really, the true value lies in the multiplayer.

If you are someone who isn't into multiplayer, you prolly shouldn't spend $60 on this game though..

If you're not into multiplayer, you're probably not going to find much enjoyment out of the PS3 or 360. Gamers are so coddled in single player modes these days that the games are barely worth playing. Games like Arkham Asylum, Drake's Fortune... they are ridiculously easy and the only real replay value is finding scattered 'goodies' around the levels that earn you a worthless trophy. While those games are fun for a bit, they're the games I trade in later for something that is heavy in multiplayer, like Killzone and MWF2.

It's all about the multiplayer these days. I wish single player modes would make a comeback because it can be just as fun as multiplayer. The only real challenge I've found is in Demon's Souls. But I do love me some multiplayer, so I can live with the coddled single player modes if it means I'll get badass online games like Socom, COD, Killzone, MAG, etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
What Bob said^

Single player campaigns are an afterthought in a lot of today's games. Even when their is a story mode or campaign, online co-op is a big component driving it.

That being said..

The campaign for MW2 is still awesome.. and besides, I did it on the easiest setting just to go through it.. if you played on the harder ones it would most certainly take you longer.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Has anyone played Borderlands? Any good?

A renter at best. Can be beaten in 10-15 hours and although people claim there's some replay value, I ended up selling it back after I beat it. You basically level up a guy and get new guns, which is fun, but you can beat the game after reaching about level 30 (despite the fact you can level to 50) and there are so many guns that finding an awesome one doesn't really do much for you, because you'll just find a better one an hour later.

If you have 3 other friends that want to play it, I'd suggest renting it and hammering away for a week or so. That's fun. But otherwise I'd skip it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
A renter at best. Can be beaten in 10-15 hours and although people claim there's some replay value, I ended up selling it back after I beat it. You basically level up a guy and get new guns, which is fun, but you can beat the game after reaching about level 30 (despite the fact you can level to 50) and there are so many guns that finding an awesome one doesn't really do much for you, because you'll just find a better one an hour later.

If you have 3 other friends that want to play it, I'd suggest renting it and hammering away for a week or so. That's fun. But otherwise I'd skip it.

It's Diablo-lite mixed with a good shooter. Solo it's good, with multiplayer it's even better.

And you can play through twice per character (4 different characters) due to Playthrough 2 (like Nightmare difficulty in Diablo).

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Not a big online fan apparently?

Dude, I just don't have the time, to be honest. I can't be staying up until 4am shooting it up with a bunch of 18 year olds who have nothing better to do than hone their skills all day long. I used to have the time to commit to a game like say, Halo 2 and even as recently as Halo 3, and of course it was a blast to completely annihilate f***ers all night and roll with your buddies.

However, I'm not about to put in the time to become good enough at MW2 online. During the week I have to work and take care of the house, and on weekends normally I'm out doing s***.

Basically, married life does not coddle to the online gamer. I get in my games for the online Madden dynasty, though. We'll see with MW2, I definitely want to play the single-player campaign, but 4.5 hours is quite short for $60. Heck, renting Arkham Asylum for a week and returning it 5 days past due was a perfect setup, and that single-player game was pretty long.

If I decide I want to start losing sleep, I'll buy MW2, but I think I'll rent it and enjoy the single-player.

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
That being said..

The campaign for MW2 is still awesome.. and besides, I did it on the easiest setting just to go through it.. if you played on the harder ones it would most certainly take you longer.

However, this is great to hear. I'd more than likely play it on the harder difficulty settings to get a realistic gaming experience. You know once I have it in-hand I won't be able to resist the multiplayer.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Dude, I just don't have the time, to be honest. I can't be staying up until 4am shooting it up with a bunch of 18 year olds who have nothing better to do than hone their skills all day long. I used to have the time to commit to a game like say, Halo 2 and even as recently as Halo 3, and of course it was a blast to completely annihilate f***ers all night and roll with your buddies.

However, I'm not about to put in the time to become good enough at MW2 online. During the week I have to work and take care of the house, and on weekends normally I'm out doing s***.

Basically, married life does not coddle to the online gamer. I get in my games for the online Madden dynasty, though. We'll see with MW2, I definitely want to play the single-player campaign, but 4.5 hours is quite short for $60. Heck, renting Arkham Asylum for a week and returning it 5 days past due was a perfect setup, and that single-player game was pretty long.

If I decide I want to start losing sleep, I'll buy MW2, but I think I'll rent it and enjoy the single-player.

However, this is great to hear. I'd more than likely play it on the harder difficulty settings to get a realistic gaming experience. You know once I have it in-hand I won't be able to resist the multiplayer.

That's the great thing about it though Steve. You can just hop on, play a quick match or two and hop off. You don't have to worry about staying on, hanging around, looking for a save point. Any of that junk. I'm sure you feel the same way that I do. At this age it's less about being the bad ass uber master and more about just enjoying the game, having fun and playing it when you can get some time.

I think this game is going to be pretty epic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)

You need to get this game..

For 1 - Playing the campaign on Hardened or Veteren is going to take you a while. I started going back through and doing them on veteren so I can get the achievements and it took me prolly 4 hours just to beat 5-6 parts of the campaign. Playing them on the harder difficulties will most certainly make your campaign play longer and more realistic. Also, there is Spec Ops mode which is solid by yourself but really made for you and a friend to play. Its king of like little challenges like wave defense, races, and elimination games that you get stars for depending on what difficulty you can complete it on.

For 2 - The multiplayer is very fun, but as you have said you don't have all the time in the world to play all night and hone your skills. Whats wrong with that? Why cant you jump on there and play for fun? You don't need to be at the top of the leaderboards and the best player ever. Its just flat out fun, and even someone who doesn't have all the time in the world to play all night can still have a good time playing it.

It will be game of the year, hands down.

Edited by T R U

I haven't touched single player yet, but multiplayer is a nightmare. It's just a game of getting to the highest ground and camping out. The aim-assist is so heavy that anyone can hop on and tear the room apart. I guess that makes it 'noob friendly,' but I prefer to earn my kills by aiming instead of pressing the L1 button and letting the game engine do it for me.

I guess I'll still play it, but as soon as MAG comes out, MWF2 is getting buried deep in the shelves. Too bad MAG got delayed, otherwise I could be playing that right now. I guess the beta will suffice.

Well....seems a blind gamer is suing Sony for not making disabled-friendly games. Right now I'd like to copyright the game title 'Braille Hero'!!!!

A sight-impaired gamer is taking various branches of Sony to court for failing to make their games accessible enough to disabled gamers.

Alexander Stern filed his suit in California at the end of last month. He claims that Sony Entertainment and Sony Corporation of America is failing to do enough to follow the US Disability Act by not making its games more accessible to disabled gamers.

Stern alleges that Sony ignored repeated requests by email and post to make features of its games more accessible. The suit apparently focuses on massive multiplayer online games.

The suit mentions the third party add-ons which are available for titles like World of Warcraft to make the games easier for visually-impaired users, Gamerspotterreports. The suit is also claiming financial loss - Sony runs auction sites for certain games where you can sell your game character's silver battle axe for real world money.

The legal approach is getting a mixed reception in disabled gamer forums. AbleGamers said the voluntary approach to improving accessibility was working and options could be added which the non-disabled gamer would never even be aware of. But the group said it was worried the lawsuit approach would do little to promote the cause or the community of disabled gamers.

link