Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (T R U @ May 7, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I don't see why you are all pumped about RDR..

That trailer doesn't look that good.. am I missing something here? Why all the hype..

Cuz it's basically GTA IV set in the west.

I have reserved excitement though. The development of the game has been hit or miss. It's been delayed a couple of times and the production of the game has changed hands, so it could be full of problems. But it's starting to gather lots of good pub from people/companies that have previewed it.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That trailer doesn't look that good.. am I missing something here? Why all the hype..

From what I hear, the online play will be unmatched. The lobby alone sounds like it could be some of the most fun to be had in video gaming.

Watch multiple trailers. You can pretty much go anywhere, do anything, from hunting, to killing, to being good or being bad. The way you are perceived relates to how you play (in the game).

I've got a few friends who already pre-ordered, and it sounds like getting a posse going is going to be a blast online.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 10, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
From what I hear, the online play will be unmatched. The lobby alone sounds like it could be some of the most fun to be had in video gaming.

Watch multiple trailers. You can pretty much go anywhere, do anything, from hunting, to killing, to being good or being bad. The way you are perceived relates to how you play (in the game).

I've got a few friends who already pre-ordered, and it sounds like getting a posse going is going to be a blast online.

I'm excited about that part too, though the gang system of GTA IV sounds like the same, and it was just ok. I remember thinking how much fun it'd be to form a gang and terrorize part of the city, but it was just a meh experience (could have been the people my group ended up playing against though).

its basically a way for me to imagine living texas without having to move

buy.com has Red Dead Redemption available for pre-order at $46 with free shipping. If you buy a lot of s*** off Amazon the $60 + $20 Amazon gift card and free shipping is still probably the better deal if not Buy.com looks like the winner.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 10, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
buy.com has Red Dead Redemption available for pre-order at $46 with free shipping. If you buy a lot of s*** off Amazon the $60 + $20 Amazon gift card and free shipping is still probably the better deal if not Buy.com looks like the winner.

Good call on Buy.com

Will save me $20, but not sure when I will receive it. Hopefully I can just play it at my friends house for a few days before I get it in the mail.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 10, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
Good call on Buy.com

Will save me $20, but not sure when I will receive it. Hopefully I can just play it at my friends house for a few days before I get it in the mail.

Screw it. Shipping is only free on 7-9 day shipping. I don't want to wait 9 days and not get the special clothes to save $17. I mean, if this was not a game where I wanted to form an online posse with friends, I would wait the 7-9 days, but I don't want to be left out while my friends for a posse and have a full week of playing before me. Impatient, sure, but oh well.

Honestly, I'm more interested in Alan Wake for the 360. My thing with RDR is that it's supposed to be bigger than GTA San Andreas. While tons of people loved how big it was, I really didn't. There was a ton of areas that were used for nothing more than scenery, not actual gameplay. I hated the long drives. The actual gaming portion itself was perfect though. I felt like I got the most out of my money with that game. Anything more though, and I would've quit the game and sold it. It filled me up to the top and gladly, nothing more.

RDR, I bet, is going to have a ton of places in which you don't do much at all. The area is supposed to be, what, 4x's as big as SA? That's too much for me. And I'm not a huge multiplayer guy either with first person shooters. I like playing the story.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Games on my list:

Heavy Rain (waiting for when it comes down in price)

3D Dot Heroes ($40 seems like a fun price for a retro game)

Red Dead Redemption (See above video)

ModNation Racers (Love kart racers, love LBP)

As someone who just played Heavy Rain, I'd suggest you rent it. It's kind of on the short side.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 14, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Honestly, I'm more interested in Alan Wake for the 360. My thing with RDR is that it's supposed to be bigger than GTA San Andreas. While tons of people loved how big it was, I really didn't. There was a ton of areas that were used for nothing more than scenery, not actual gameplay. I hated the long drives. The actual gaming portion itself was perfect though. I felt like I got the most out of my money with that game. Anything more though, and I would've quit the game and sold it. It filled me up to the top and gladly, nothing more.

RDR, I bet, is going to have a ton of places in which you don't do much at all. The area is supposed to be, what, 4x's as big as SA? That's too much for me. And I'm not a huge multiplayer guy either with first person shooters. I like playing the story.

Rockstar really just needs to add a fast travel option if the game is that big. I agree with you about San Andreas, it was ridiculous and unnecessary that they made you drive through long stretches of desert to get to destinations and that the missions were so spread out. IMO it really took away from the game. If after you give me a mission I have to drive there fine, but I shouldn't have to drive to the person giving me the mission every single time.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 15, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Rockstar really just needs to add a fast travel option if the game is that big. I agree with you about San Andreas, it was ridiculous and unnecessary that they made you drive through long stretches of desert to get to destinations and that the missions were so spread out. IMO it really took away from the game. If after you give me a mission I have to drive there fine, but I shouldn't have to drive to the person giving me the mission every single time.

You guys need to check the game out more, I guess. The GTA games have always had cabs you could grab that transport you to new spots, or you can hop on the elevated trains or the subway and be transported about the city quickly.

The same goes with RDR... the have an old school train (see: Back to the Future III) that will transport you from one edge to the other.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 15, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
You guys need to check the game out more, I guess. The GTA games have always had cabs you could grab that transport you to new spots, or you can hop on the elevated trains or the subway and be transported about the city quickly.

The same goes with RDR... the have an old school train (see: Back to the Future III) that will transport you from one edge to the other.

lol no kidding Steve

There were PLENTY of ways to get around traveling in GTA, fairly simple ones too..

So excited about red dead redemption; should be epic. I myself will be getting it on the ps3, my question to everyone getting it is the following: where are you pre ordering from? reason i ask is there are three different pre order specials out there through three different retailers.

Amazon if you pre order in addition to getting the gift card you also get the gold pistols which do the following "The player who wields the exclusive Golden Guns receives more Fame for each kill. The more Fame you get, the more in-game side missions become available. So there will be more opportunities to duel, more kidnapped townsfolk to rescue and you can bribe lawmen for less." pretty awesome

Best Buy if you pre order you get the war horse which does the following: "There are countless horses to be found in the massive world of Red Dead Redemption, but none is stronger, faster or tougher than the exclusive War Horse. Whether storming gang hideouts, exploring the wilderness for hidden treasure, or outrunning the law, the War Horse gives gunslingers an advantage in nearly every situation." pretty BA, also this is where i did my pre ordering from.

Game Stop if you pre order you get the deadly assassin outfit "John Marston's "Deadly Assassin" outfit causes your Dead Eye meter to regenerate at twice the speed. With more Dead Eye, you have more time to place each shot with total accuracy, making you the deadliest gunslinger in any fight."

so knowing all of that where are you going to get yours pre ordered from?

and also those that have dealt with pre-order content codes before is there any way to share them or do they expire once you enter them?

ideally if i could i would take them in this order.

Horse

Guns

Outfit

but thats just me.

Amazon. I tend to buy a good amount of s*** off that site so a $20 gift card is pretty valuable to me. Don't really care about the in game stuff. With the gift card I could turn around and pick up 3D Dot Game Heroes for $15 or Arkham Asylum for $20, sounds like a good deal to me.

Kalapse, can you explain to me why on earth I would use Amazon.com?

I just went on there to order it and the total came out to 79.84 to get the game on Thursday with one day shipping.. now why the hell would I pay $80 to get the game on Thursday when I can go to Gamestop on Tuesday morning and get it for $64?

Even if I didnt use one day shipping, I would then just be paying the same price to get the game but like a week later when just going to Gamestop is superior to all Amazon options.. even with a $20 gift card which is not listed on my order so I dont even know if ide be getting that anyways..

Sign up for a free trial of Amazon Prime (just remember to cancel it before it runs out), it comes with free release date delivery. It'll show up at your doorstep Tuesday afternoon. It makes sense for me personally because I'm an Amazon prime member which means free 2 day delivery on all purchases and free release date delivery on games.