Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
People are absolutely in love with SMG2 with talk of it actually being better than the original (which I actually purchased and never finished, I realize Mario only works for me as a side scrolling platformer) and the original won all kinds of awards, people do love their Mario. For me personally RDR will probably be my most enjoyable video game experience of the year but for the masses and video game publications SMG2 will be better received.

You werent a fan of Super Mario 64?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
You werent a fan of Super Mario 64?

Never really played it, I was 9 years old when that game came out and I'm not sure I had an N64 in 1996. I'm pretty sure I got mine around the time Goldeneye came out in '97 and played the s*** out of that game for years, Mario 64 never really appealed to me as a 10 year old, I suppose. I remember a few friends having the game but we mostly played Tomb Raider and Twisted Metal on Playstation, N64 was kind of an afterthought until Goldeneye took the world by storm.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Never really played it, I was 9 years old when that game came out and I'm not sure I had an N64 in 1996. I'm pretty sure I got mine around the time Goldeneye came out in '97 and played the s*** out of that game for years, Mario 64 never really appealed to me as a 10 year old, I suppose. I remember a few friends having the game but we mostly played Tomb Raider and Twisted Metal on Playstation, N64 was kind of an afterthought until Goldeneye took the world by storm.

weird that you were 9 and you missed SM64, yet you prefer the sidescrolling mario games that came out mostly when you were a toddler and before you were born.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
weird that you were 9 and you missed SM64, yet you prefer the sidescrolling mario games that came out mostly when you were a toddler and before you were born.

Yeah I played a ton of Super Mario Bros. through Mario World on my SNES thanks to Super Mario All-Stars but when Mario 64 came out I suppose the idea of a 3D world that strayed from the amazing side scrolling games of my early youth didn't do a whole hell of a lot for me and by the time I actually got an N64 I was consumed by Goldeneye so I never really made time for a game that had come out 2 years prior and bared little resemblance to early Mario games. It's funny because 2 of my favorite games of all time are Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but modern shooters don't really interest me, the only reason I play them is do to peer pressure. But on the same line of thought the New Super Mario Bros. for Wii was an absolute blast and even though I beat every last bit of that game i still find myself going back and playing it from time to time, I suppose in my mind the thrill of playing a 2D platformer is timeless but a first person shooter is not.

I could see how Super Mario 64 slipped past you i guess. I think you should go back and beat it, then come back to the Galaxy games and see if you hold the same opinion.

I like Super Mario Bros Wii a lot, but i will NEVER EVER EVER EVER play with my wife and daughter again. Complete torture.

How my wife doesnt understand or try to understand the turbo slide is beyond me.

Super Mario for 64 is possibly one of the best games ever.

In terms of Marios I would rate them as follows (I have not played anything since 64)

1. Super Mario 64

2. Super Mario SNES

3. Super Mario III

4. Super Mario II

5. Super Mario Brothers

Every single one of them I have completed from start to finish (all boards and stars for III, SNES and 64).

64 is legitimately a great game. Some of the stars were difficult even though I was in my video gaming prime.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)

In terms of Marios I would rate them as follows (I have not played anything since 64)

1. Super Mario 64

2. Super Mario SNES

3. Super Mario III

4. Super Mario II

5. Super Mario Brothers

Every single one of them I have completed from start to finish (all boards and stars for III, SNES and 64).

64 is legitimately a great game. Some of the stars were difficult even though I was in my video gaming prime.

Preach brother. But Super Mario III still is the best IMO. I only played SNES once though (maybe twice), so I don't really remember it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)

1. Super Mario 64

2. Super Mario SNES

3. Super Mario III

4. Super Mario II

5. Super Mario Brothers

No love for Super Mario World? I loved that game. And II would definitely be at the bottom of my list seeing as how it's not a real Mario game, I believe The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Mario II) was the true Super Mario Bros. II.

Super Mario 2 wasnt even a mario game, it was a completely different character. They just inserted Mario into the game, and all those weird creatures became part of the mythology

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
I could see how Super Mario 64 slipped past you i guess. I think you should go back and beat it, then come back to the Galaxy games and see if you hold the same opinion.

I like Super Mario Bros Wii a lot, but i will NEVER EVER EVER EVER play with my wife and daughter again. Complete torture.

How my wife doesnt understand or try to understand the turbo slide is beyond me.

I suppose kids go through phases with video games and SM64 just came out at a bad time for me since Goldeneye (which was the first game I bought when I got my N64) ushered in my FPS phase. I'm not sure SM64 would hold up today if I tried to go back and play it now, the sidescrollers still hold up because the graphics really have no effect on the gameplay and there's nothing to the controls, trying to navigate through a -- by modern standards -- poorly rendered 3D world could be annoying. I really wish I owned it, I'd pop it in now and give it a go.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Super Mario 2 wasnt even a mario game, it was a completely different character. They just inserted Mario into the game, and all those weird creatures became part of the mythology

Yeah, Super Mario Bros. was such a huge hit in the US that Nintendo felt the need to rush out a sequel to capitalize on the success of the original so they took an existing Japanese game -- Doki Doki Panic -- and inserted playable Mario characters and because of this the game really makes no sense.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Def get a 64 emu and play through SM64. It's still a lot of fun, especially collecting all (120?) stars

I tried that on my PC a few years back and it was unplayable. You really need an N64 controller in your hands to get a true feel for the game. Arrow keys don't do it service.

Super Mario World = Super Mario SNES

I disagree on Super Mario 2. While it was an entirely different game, it still was side scrolling and was the only game where you could be different characters with different skill sets. While the game did not include Bowser, its hard to argue that it "was not" a Mario game as it was the second installment and they just may have gone off the tracks (See Zelda II). NES was still in the formative stages for gaming, so you had a lot of sequels that didnt really match the first.

As for the N64 game, its not the graphics, it was the game play. Mario was super responsive and skill made a huge difference. Anyone could beat the game, but not everyone could get 120.

I was completely different than you, I played Goldeneye a few times, but it really did very little for me. Mario was the truer challenge of video game supremacy. My friends and I basically raced to 120.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
I tried that on my PC a few years back and it was unplayable. You really need an N64 controller in your hands to get a true feel for the game. Arrow keys don't do it service.

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/online/virtual...MIOS7sgrvUdDq1O

you can download it to a simcard off the virtual console as well, and use a gamecube controller or classic controller if you have it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
http://www.nintendo.com/wii/online/virtual...MIOS7sgrvUdDq1O

you can download it to a simcard off the virtual console as well, and use a gamecube controller or classic controller if you have it

Now that could be doable and I actually have a gamecube controller (don't know where the hell I got it since I never owned a gamecube).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Super Mario World = Super Mario SNES

Oversight on my part.

I disagree on Super Mario 2. While it was an entirely different game, it still was side scrolling and was the only game where you could be different characters with different skill sets. While the game did not include Bowser, its hard to argue that it "was not" a Mario game as it was the second installment and they just may have gone off the tracks (See Zelda II). NES was still in the formative stages for gaming, so you had a lot of sequels that didnt really match the first.

As for the N64 game, its not the graphics, it was the game play. Mario was super responsive and skill made a huge difference. Anyone could beat the game, but not everyone could get 120.

I was completely different than you, I played Goldeneye a few times, but it really did very little for me. Mario was the truer challenge of video game supremacy. My friends and I basically raced to 120.

Except it truly wasn't a Mario game, it was Doki Doki Panic masquerading as a Mario game. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it but it's tough to put it ahead of any true Mario game.

Yume%20Koujou%20Doki%20Doki%20Panic%20(2

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)

Consider your manhood (or rather, awesome teenage childhood) completely questioned.

If you never got into 4-player Goldeneye, you are stricken from this thread by me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Consider your manhood (or rather, awesome teenage childhood) completely questioned.

If you never got into 4-player Goldeneye, you are stricken from this thread by me.

I could draw you a 100% accurate, to scale map of the Complex right now. I must have played several thousand matches in that place including when it appeared on Perfect Dark.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)

I don't see how any male that plays video game wasn't into this game even a little bit.

From when I was in middle school to even today, it's some of the most fun I have playing a video game. I've seen people lose money & fights damn near break out due to this game.

When Goldeneye came out I was in high school (16 years old).

I can recall 1 time getting together with my friends and being drunk playing GoldenEye.

I can vividly recall quitting and then going back to drinking and playing pool with girls.

Sorry brosef, for the years in High School I very rarely played video games with my friends (used to play them at home by myself when Id come home drunk etc.). It wouldnt be until Frosh year in college that my roommate created a Madden league and I began to play people again.

Kalapse,

I just never liked 1. I thought 2 was poor as well, but it was far more challenging so I give it respect for that.

Edited by Soxbadger

Yeah if I was younger or even older, I probably would have played it a lot. But it happened to come out at the time where my video gaming playing dropped to basically 0.

N64 I bought maybe 2-3 games, Mario and Zelda. Mario I beat every single star (Frosh year), Zelda I never completed (Junior year or so). So those few years really changed my video gaming habits.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Yeah if I was younger or even older, I probably would have played it a lot. But it happened to come out at the time where my video gaming playing dropped to basically 0.

N64 I bought maybe 2-3 games, Mario and Zelda. Mario I beat every single star (Frosh year), Zelda I never completed (Junior year or so). So those few years really changed my video gaming habits.

I never completed Majoras Mask but I definitely completed Ocarina of Time. The only Zelda games I have not completed are Zelda II and Twilight Princess(not because I couldnt, but rather because I didnt own it).

I caved and bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the way home as a birthday present(May 26th) to myself and an anniversary(28th) present for my wife since she was asking for it anyways