Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
I am looking at buying the PS3...do you think its worth the $$$??

Honestly this question always comes down to (a) are you choosing between two consoles or just whether to pick up a ps3, B) how much money do you have, © how advanced is your home entertainment system.

I've been a ps3 owner from the first month of the launch and i've been both happy and frustrated. Happy because the system itself is sweet. The graphics are great (though "next-gen" doesn't seem to be a huge leap from current gen....i was expected more from both consoles), the features are great, the entertainment options are great. You get a blu-ray player, which I think will ultimately win out as the HD format, for practically nothing. Assuming you have the HDTV and decent surround system, the ps3 def will take advantage of everything you have (making you feel like the thousands you've wasted has gone to something useful).

I've been frustrated though with the lack of quality titles. It really hasn't been THAT big of a deal because although months pass without good releases I've been able to pick up a few games and play the heck out of them for a month or two until something I want comes out. Whereas with the ps2 I could run out and by 4 games I wanted to play practically at launch, the ps3 has been much, much slower. I bought Resistance, which lasted me a while until I could pick up the 2k MLB game, which lasted until Ninja Gaiden, which lasted until NCAA 08. And that'll last me a while until this fall/winter when Lair, Warhawk, etc comes out. But I'm a big wow nerd too so that often takes 1/2 my gaming time.

So like I said it depends on your reason for buying it. If it's going to be your sole video game machine and you play quite a lot in a week, definitely check out the titles that are currently available and those that will be available in the short term before you buy. It's kinda slim pickings at the moment. For me it was fine because I can play those sports games forever and never really get bored with them and it's not my only source for video games. Also the blu-ray and being able to stream all my video from my desktop to my TV make it well worth it.

This was a long ass rumble to say yes its worth the price IMO.

Thanks for the input from all. I already have the 360 and was checking out some of the upcoming games for PS3 and figure I now have to buy one of those as well. Esp. FF13 and I also seen Golden Axe as well its coming for 360 too. Metal Gear is also weighing in on the decision....so I figure I will fork out the cash and get one.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
Hmmm... which platform will Halo3 be on? Oh, you say XBox 360?

winnar.

They had Halo last generation too and still got grossly out-sold. ;)

Another thing I forgot to mention is backwards compatibility. If you have a ton of good PS2 games that you still play like I do, that can tide you over a bit during some of these gaps in quality releases. IIRC on the newer ones it's not 100% compatibility though, again, you'd have to do some research. I think Xbox360 has that feature too, not entirely sure because I didn't own an XBox so I honestly don't care...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Haze > Halo 3.

Is Haze a PS3 exclusive though? I didn't think so, it sounded like it'd be out in November for the PS3 and sometime in 2008 for the 360. I have a hard time following some of the news...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
Is Haze a PS3 exclusive though? I didn't think so, it sounded like it'd be out in November for the PS3 and sometime in 2008 for the 360. I have a hard time following some of the news...

So, I can wait until Halo 3 comes out for the pc in a couple years. I'd be too busy playing Haze and other awesome, probably just as good, games in the meantime.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Haze > Halo 3.

And I suppose youve played Haze to know this :huh

Haze wont touch Halo 3, seriously the pre release of Halo 3 was awesome IMO, Haze I think it will be alot like the game Fear, have a good story mode/campaign and not be good for multiplayer. Only speculation though.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
And I suppose youve played Haze to know this :huh

Haze wont touch Halo 3, seriously the pre release of Halo 3 was awesome IMO, Haze I think it will be alot like the game Fear, have a good story mode/campaign and not be good for multiplayer. Only speculation though.

Are you forgeting who makes Haze? Halo was great and Halo 2 was meh compared to Halo. Haze will be fresh and awesome.

Another game to look for that will probably be better then Halo 3 is Cod4. From what I have read, that game is going to be sick as hell. To bad it comes out for both.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 02:03 AM)
Just bought "Star Wars:Empire At War" for the PC. Got it for 20 bucks, and I'm having a blast with it. Really great gameplay, and really keeping my interest.

Does it compare anywhere close to Star Wars Dark Forces or Star Wars Jedi Knight? Those two games were sick.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
Are you forgeting who makes Haze? Halo was great and Halo 2 was meh compared to Halo. Haze will be fresh and awesome.

Another game to look for that will probably be better then Halo 3 is Cod4. From what I have read, that game is going to be sick as hell. To bad it comes out for both.

I dont even know who makes Haze and frankly could care less.

When it gets dark and i'm by myself i can't play Bioshock! It's just waaaaaaaayyyy to f***in creepy! This game is so unbelievable. It better win game of the year because you can do so many things in this game.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
When it gets dark and i'm by myself i can't play Bioshock! It's just waaaaaaaayyyy to f***in creepy! This game is so unbelievable. It better win game of the year because you can do so many things in this game.

If you want a creepy game check out Fear. Believe for PC and I know its on the 360.

July sales numbers, someone finally beat the DS after all these months/years:

Top 10 SKU's for July

360 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 1 397k

PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION (CORP) 2 339k

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 278k

PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 236k

WII MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA 5 177k

PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k

NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 144k

PS2 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION (CORP) 8 143k

PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 9 138k

360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 10 108k

WII Mario Strikers Charged: 100k

WII RE4: Wii Edition: 90k

July Hardware Figures

Wii 425 k

Nintendo DS 405 k

PlayStation 2 222k

PlayStation Portable 214k

Xbox 360 170k

PlayStation 3 159k

Game Boy Advance 87k

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

TimeSplitters, Perfect Dark, and GoldenEye were all much better FPSs(At least for their time) than Halo was, especially the non-advancement of Halo 2. I trust Haze to continue the lineage of excellence.

Perfect Dark was crap and the Timesplitters games are mediocre (not bad for a console though).

You might as well say Haze = Halo 3 since both developers get a lot more hype than they deserve.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
anyone ever play swat 4 (and the expansion pack) for the computer? awesome ass game if you ask me.

I played Swat 4, not the expansion pack though.

Weren't enough missions for my liking, and they weren't too hard, except for the last one in the hospital, and the one where you spend most of the time in the car park.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Just bought "Star Wars:Empire At War" for the PC. Got it for 20 bucks, and I'm having a blast with it. Really great gameplay, and really keeping my interest.

Is that the strategy game when you can take over planets, and play as the light side or the dark side? I loved space missions in the game, all little spaceships flying around everywhere.

People who say Halo is overrated probably are basing that opinion on singleplayer. That's fine, Halo 1's singleplayer was good but not groundbreaking, 2 was a disappointment at best. It doesn't matter, the masses consume Halo for online console FPS play. What is so overrated about that? The fact is that alot of people love the competition. When you buy Halo 3, you are buying membership into a huge online community with competitions, rewards, and downloadable content. It's by far the biggest FPS community in console gaming and maybe in all of gaming.

Personally, i don't like playing Halo online or any other console FPS's, but I understand why people do. I am more interested in the Halo 3 singleplayer, which we don't know much about yet. You can bet the ending will be better than Halo 2, though, since they aren't making another one. But go ahead and keep calling things overrated without backing up your arguments if it makes you feel better.