Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
I'm gonna download that uncharted demo now... that game looks sick.

i think the game looks decent...but I don't like going through the game and running into non stop pirates everywhere you turn. I really saw no puzzles or such to give the game diversity. It's just a demo though.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
i think the game looks decent...but I don't like going through the game and running into non stop pirates everywhere you turn. I really saw no puzzles or such to give the game diversity. It's just a demo though.

From what I have read, there are plenty of puzzles in the game, and they are quite challenging.

The only thing that is keeping me from getting this game is that it doesn't offer much in terms of anything after you beat the game. So, it depends on how long the story is for me.

So right now, it is between Assassins Creed and Uncharted for me.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Mario Galaxy tomorrow! Some are saying it's the best 3D platformer ever, including Super Mario 64 in that discussion.

The videos on gamespot are amazing. It looks like a lot of fun

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
it's just a fun diversion. It's a toy, everyone knows that. At some point in my life, I'm going to learn how to play the guitar. But most people that play guitar hero just think of it as a videogame, it's just a fun little thing, we don't think we could pick up a guitar and play it.

I've got a buddy who's been playing guitar for years. He got pissed at the first GH because he could play the songs on a real guitar but not in the game.

I'm debating getting an Xbox 360 in a month or so. Are there any used ones going for ~$200? Any more than that and I won't use it enough to justify the cost.

For those of you have CoD4:

Is the online play in COD4 like it was in COD3 where you basically have the germans and americans and you choose what guy you want and get that weapon set...

OR

Is it more like Rainbow Six where you can actually customize your character (camo, armor, etc.) and make up your own weapon set. For example, I want gun "A" and I want to put attachment "B" on it.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
For those of you have CoD4:

Is the online play in COD4 like it was in COD3 where you basically have the germans and americans and you choose what guy you want and get that weapon set...

OR

Is it more like Rainbow Six where you can actually customize your character (camo, armor, etc.) and make up your own weapon set. For example, I want gun "A" and I want to put attachment "B" on it.

Its a combination. I still like Rainbow Six better.

You have to rank up to unlock game modes, and different weapon packages. You cannot customize your gun like in R6. So far the initial multiplayer game is a free for all. For me the gameplay of the Ubisoft games are better. They are more organized for squad based combat. If you like the free for all shooter, then this is the game for you. I like the strategy, and squad based approach. Most of my friends love the game because they are into the shoot them up, and kill em.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
Saw this thing at Linens & Things the other day for $400. You could probably build something similar yourself for a lot cheaper if you've got a little PC and woodworking skills.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Electronic-Games...8876&sr=8-2

I got a friend who made one of those and he has it rigged up to the internet with like every game system in it too so it has like every game and hes been trying to sell it for a while.

EGM December scores:

Mario and sonic olympics: 6,7,6

Geometry wars galaxies: 8.5,7, 8.5

Fire Emblem: 9,9, 8.5

Need For speed pro street: 8.5, 7.5, 7

tony hawk: 5.5, 6.5, 7.5

Manhunt 2: 4, 5, 7

CoD 4: 9.5, 8.5, 9.5

Blacksite Area 51: 6, 5, 6

Kane and Lynch: 7.5, 7, 7

Uncharted: 3 8.5s

naruto 360: 6.5, 8, 5.5

timeshift: 5.5, 5.5, 6

mass effect: 9, 9.5, 9

contra 4: 7.5, 8, 8

cooking mama 2: 3 7.5s

ffxii: revenant wings: 8, 7.5, 6

MGS: PO: 7.5, 7, 7.5

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
EGM December scores:

Mario and sonic olympics: 6,7,6

Geometry wars galaxies: 8.5,7, 8.5

Fire Emblem: 9,9, 8.5

Need For speed pro street: 8.5, 7.5, 7

tony hawk: 5.5, 6.5, 7.5

Manhunt 2: 4, 5, 7

CoD 4: 9.5, 8.5, 9.5

Blacksite Area 51: 6, 5, 6

Kane and Lynch: 7.5, 7, 7

Uncharted: 3 8.5s

naruto 360: 6.5, 8, 5.5

timeshift: 5.5, 5.5, 6

mass effect: 9, 9.5, 9

contra 4: 7.5, 8, 8

cooking mama 2: 3 7.5s

ffxii: revenant wings: 8, 7.5, 6

MGS: PO: 7.5, 7, 7.5

Is that Super Mario Galaxy? If not, Im curious where that review is

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
MGS is probably the new psp game.

Assassins Creed is getting some great reviews. I think I'll be picking that up tomorrow.

Hilary: "I would go on to say that Assassins Creed would be the top 5 most dissapointing games of all time." and "...this is a rental, there is no need to go back to play it more than once...in fact, you probably won't even finish it once."

IGN: 7.5/10

gamespy gave it a 7/10.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/.....;/834669p1.html

1up.com 7/10

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164320

team xbox 7.9/10

gameinformer 9.5/10

gamepro 10/10

gamespot.com: 9.0/10

PlanetXbox360: 6.9/10

http://www.planetxbox360.com/index.php/art...tails/show/3035

I still want it though. Don't know what they could possibly be complaining about, it looks excellent.

GameSpot is usually the harshest reviewer, and they gave it a 9, so.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)

I still want it though. Don't know what they could possibly be complaining about, it looks excellent.

GameSpot is usually the harshest reviewer, and they gave it a 9, so.

from what I have read, the controls are impossible and will take a long time to get used to, and there is a bunch of other small stuff that is annoying.

It looks awesome visually and it looks good in the video's, but then again you have a producer playing it ho has spent countless hours working on the game.

dude, you gotta do some more of your own research before you walk into a gamestop (which by the way only care about money) and pretty much buy whatever the clerk recommends.

The two best game websites are probably www.gamestop.com and ww.ign.com. Go to those websites and look at their reviews, and go to their forums and read people who have played the game's thoughts, and even ask any questions of your own.

Hell, subscribe to a magazine. I get Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM). That is probably the best gaming mag. out there. PSM (playstation mag.) wasn't that bad when I subscribed to it, but try and stay away from magazines that focus on one system as there is likely at least some bias. Ironically, EGM seems a bit biased against the PS3, but I don't think they are that bad at all. Plus, most games now are multi-platform and any game that is on xbox360 or PS3 is pretty much the same game.

I would suggest EGM if anything. There's a few websites out there that give away 12 month subscriptions to EGM for free(No catches or anything, just hand over your name and address). I've been doing that for a couple of years now and it's worked out great. EGM is the standard of the industry IMO. Best reviewers(Very harsh, which I prefer), previews, new coverage, solid rumors, etc. The writing is also significantly better than what you will find in other magazine.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
MGS is probably the new psp game.

Assassins Creed is getting some great reviews. I think I'll be picking that up tomorrow.

Rent it first. I bought it today, it's garbage, IMO. The "tutorial" is about an hour and a half long, and once you get into the action, you have to a bunch of "investigations" which are mundane and don't require any skill what-so-ever from the gamer (unless following an arrow on the map is considered skill) before you actually get to assassinate anyone.

If you've read the IGN.com reviews, you probably know about the second character in the game. The second character is totally worthless and just a waste of time. That second character is also a pansy-ass-pretty-boy. I don't think I mentioned yet that the dialogue and writing in the game is bad. It also seems there is more storytelling than actual game playing.

It's a P.O.S. game, if you ask me. I can't wait until Mass Effect comes out next Tuesday, because Assassin's Creed is going back to Gamestop.

Edited by BobDylan

Uncharted, which comes out next week, just got a 9.1 from IGN which is telling since IGN is typically harsh (aka biased) against the PS3. Uncharted is getting reviews basically saying it is one of, if not the best PS3 game yet.

Also, for those who care, the original PS3 review of AC which criticized the FPS and screen tearing has been edited with that section removed. Bascially the reviewer lied to justify giving the 360 version a higher score and someone called them on it.