Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
I definitely have the same issues.

Here's some more:

-The AI isn't the same with the computer's defense and your defense. This is similar to what you mentioned -- their corners will make ridiculously good reads on the ball, jump routes -- they do it all. I'm lucky if my cornerbacks attempt to bat the ball down.

I'm stuck on defense. Giving up 25-40 points is actually good for me, as I can usually manage putting up 40+. Zone doesn't work -- they just find that spot underneath the safeties. Cover two? I never run cover two anymore because any time I try to, they just run a slant route 25 yards over the middle of the field. Man-to-man has been only slightly more successful, mainly because -- as I mentioned -- the computer AI for the human's defense is absolutely putrid.

-The computer's defense seemingly makes a big hit on every f***ing pass play, usually jarring the ball loose for an incomplete pass, and it pisses me off that my safeties don't do the same thing. They always do that quick undercut of the legs immediately after my guy catches the ball, resulting in an incompletion.

-I hate how the computer knows if you're going to run. For example, sometimes I'll have third and short and go goalline. I'll call for a play action and see that the computer is playing nickel despite the fact that I've stacked everyone inside. Or, perhaps a better example -- I'll split out four wide receivers with the intent of running a draw, only to see that the computer is playing 4-3. Come on, seriously -- I send four wideouts on the field and you're going to counter with a 4-3? Give me a break.

I b**** so much about this game yet I always come back. I also understand that I'm Northwestern so in the end, my 5-3 record is actually quite realistic -- I shouldn't be 8-0. But it's how I got there -- I beat Ohio State at the Big House (on Heisman), yet lost to Eastern Michigan at home (got killed -- 52-17).

Did the horse shoe burn down? :stick

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, Im gonna exchange a few of my games I dont play and get a new one. I need help. Cod4 or Assassins Creed. Keep in mind, I dont like first person shooters and am more looking for a long adventure type game I will play offline. Im leaning towards Creed but Ive hear a few people on here say it sucks.

AC is awesome but somewhat repetitive. I'd say its a good 8/10 game. If you have a PS3 go with Uncharted. The gameplay is supposedly somewhat short but there is supposed to be replay value in terms of unlocking things and whatnot. I have both but just got Uncharted last night so i only played it for an hour (it is awesome and is truly a wonderful game visually in 1080p). CoD is a first person shooter, albeit a phenomenal one. If you dont tend to like FPS CoD4 still may be a game you'd like...it's that good. However, if you are really leaning towards a non-FPS game go with AC or Uncharted. I got both and am glad i did, but in hindsight if i could only have bought one it would have been Uncharted (this is provided you have a PS3, Uncharted is an exclusive)

Anyhoo, i just got the RRoD on my Xbox 360. Thank God that my best friend has two 360's or else thanksgiving break would suck! This is the second RRoD on this Xbox and Microsoft better reward me with a brand new falcon 360 with the new chip and 3rd heat sink! Say what you will, but i still love Microsoft, and the 360.

Occasionally in this thread you'll see lists about 'Best Games Ever' and I'm surprised to see that some of my favorite games don't end up on these lists. I find it interesting because I think a lot of these lists depend on how the person 'grew up'. For example, if you're anything like me, you grew up with either Sega or Nintendo, not both. I shouldn't say "not both" -- that only applies to the original systems, so Sega Genesis vs Nintendo/Super Nintendo. Around the time of Sega Dreamcast -- which was before Playstation 1 but at the same time of Nintendo 64, right? -- I bought both Dreamcast and the 64 (I'm pretty sure I'm on a correct 'timeline' here, someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways -- I've certainly digressed enough -- here's my list of top games (in no specific order). And my rankings are, generally speaking, based along how long these games held a strong 'enjoyable' sense in my mind. In parenthesis I may clarify or specify a specific part of each game. I'll also try to keep it oldest to newest and please, feel free to list your own and/or critique mine:

Sonic 2

NHL '93 (? -- it was the last one with fighting, so '93 or '94)

World Series Baseball '95

The Resident Evil Series (oddly enough, I've never played the game that is considered the best in this series -- RE 4 is it?, the one for Gamecube. In my mind the original Resident Evil was the best, followed by Nemesis, Code Veronica and 2)

Mario 64

Supersmash Brothers

GoldenEye

The Wrestling series for Nintendo 64 (No Mercy, WCW/NWO Revenge, etc etc -- all were fantastic)

SOCOM 1 and 2

MVP 2005

HALO (Multiplayer only, and only for the first Halo -- I haven't attached myself to 2 and 3)

It's a shame -- I'm sure I'm missing out on a ton of games. I left Madden and NCAA off the list, even though those are the games that currently consume most of my gaming time. I want to get into a good multiplayer game online but I haven't found one. Someone mentioned CoD4 online is more of a free-for-all, KILL KILL KILL game while I'd prefer a little more strategy. Maybe that new Tom Clancy game that BobDylan mentioned might be something I'd like...

Edited by CWSGuy406

Was at Target today and picked up NBA 2K8 almost by accident. I was just there looking around buying some other stuff and looked in the games case and saw NBA 2K8 for PS3 on sale for 28 dollars just for today. Couldn't turn it down, $32 off the normal price, couldn't pass it up.

keith, i agree completely.

I played world series baseball '95 on the genesis to death. Before MVP 05 that was the best baseball videogame hands down. If you go back and play it now however, it's kinda awful.

And I don't think I've ever had more fun with a videogame than wrestlemania 2000. All of those thq (i think) games were the best for the n64, no wrestling game has ever even come close.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
I did end up getting Uncharted. Everyone in there said it was much better than either of the other two games. They said Cod4 was good, but if I dont plan on playing online its not that good.

The single player campaign in CoD4 is actually quite good. The online is where the replay value is at with that game, but I got tired of the online play. It was too deathmatch oriented and that's not my style.

I bought Uncharted as well, and it's a great game. The campaign mode is slightly more fun than CoD4, but I don't think it has the replay value of CoD. I don't feel like a lot of single player only games have a lot of replay value, though. The games I pick up again and again are the ones I go online with. It makes sense you didn't like Resistance if you don't play online--the campaign mode is terrible. But online is packed and probably has the best online format of any FPS out there. You can play just about any type of game you want, you can find all your friends quite easily and the clan support is the best I've seen from an online game.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Occasionally in this thread you'll see lists about 'Best Games Ever' and I'm surprised to see that some of my favorite games don't end up on these lists. I find it interesting because I think a lot of these lists depend on how the person 'grew up'. For example, if you're anything like me, you grew up with either Sega or Nintendo, not both. I shouldn't say "not both" -- that only applies to the original systems, so Sega Genesis vs Nintendo/Super Nintendo. Around the time of Sega Dreamcast -- which was before Playstation 1 but at the same time of Nintendo 64, right? -- I bought both Dreamcast and the 64 (I'm pretty sure I'm on a correct 'timeline' here, someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways -- I've certainly digressed enough -- here's my list of top games (in no specific order). And my rankings are, generally speaking, based along how long these games held a strong 'enjoyable' sense in my mind. In parenthesis I may clarify or specify a specific part of each game. I'll also try to keep it oldest to newest and please, feel free to list your own and/or critique mine:

Sonic 2

NHL '93 (? -- it was the last one with fighting, so '93 or '94)

World Series Baseball '95

The Resident Evil Series (oddly enough, I've never played the game that is considered the best in this series -- RE 4 is it?, the one for Gamecube. In my mind the original Resident Evil was the best, followed by Nemesis, Code Veronica and 2)

Mario 64

Supersmash Brothers

GoldenEye

The Wrestling series for Nintendo 64 (No Mercy, WCW/NWO Revenge, etc etc -- all were fantastic)

SOCOM 1 and 2

MVP 2005

HALO (Multiplayer only, and only for the first Halo -- I haven't attached myself to 2 and 3)

It's a shame -- I'm sure I'm missing out on a ton of games. I left Madden and NCAA off the list, even though those are the games that currently consume most of my gaming time. I want to get into a good multiplayer game online but I haven't found one. Someone mentioned CoD4 online is more of a free-for-all, KILL KILL KILL game while I'd prefer a little more strategy. Maybe that new Tom Clancy game that BobDylan mentioned might be something I'd like...

Some great games on there. But I feel like if I picked some of those up today and started playing, they wouldn't lend me any more than an hour or two of fun. But if I picked up something like Metroid Prime or FF7 or Chrono Trigger, my week is shot dead for those games. Of course, though, it's all just personal preference.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
The single player campaign in CoD4 is actually quite good. The online is where the replay value is at with that game, but I got tired of the online play. It was too deathmatch oriented and that's not my style.

I bought Uncharted as well, and it's a great game. The campaign mode is slightly more fun than CoD4, but I don't think it has the replay value of CoD. I don't feel like a lot of single player only games have a lot of replay value, though. The games I pick up again and again are the ones I go online with. It makes sense you didn't like Resistance if you don't play online--the campaign mode is terrible. But online is packed and probably has the best online format of any FPS out there. You can play just about any type of game you want, you can find all your friends quite easily and the clan support is the best I've seen from an online game.

You do know there are gametypes besides Deathmatch right? Headquarters and Search and Destroy are really fun. Search and destroy is a lot like counter strike.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
You do know there are gametypes besides Deathmatch right? Headquarters and Search and Destroy are really fun. Search and destroy is a lot like counter strike.

Yes, but all the game types seem death match oriented. The maps aren't very condusive--nor are the gametypes, to any type of developed strategy.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
Did anyone buy College Hoops 2K8? IGN gave it an 8 out of 10. I was kinda meh about the demo, but still might pick it up.

I'm gonna wait for EA March Madness 08. I've never liked 2k and i will stick with EA.