Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Call Microsoft or if you have a warranty from a store take it there.

I had the extended warranty on my PS2 and when I got the disc read error I took it to Best Buy and they just gave me a brand new one straight out of the box.

That's the s***. I spent the extra $69.99 and got the 3-year warranty for the 360 I got a week ago. If it doesn't go goofy by then I'll just tell them it did, which will pay for the plan itself thrice over.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
So my 360 is starting to have disc read errors. What makes it bad is it doesn't happen right away, but during a game. I was in the 4th quarter of an NBA game, and it got the error. I know its not the game either, because it did it with the version I rented, and when I just bought the game( different disc) it did the same thing.

Any suggestions? (Not buy a PS3)

buying a PS3 is the best video game decision you could make.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
I think you have to hold R1 too. I'm at the same spot as you though, I just started playing a few days ago and can't seem to get the hang of it. The practice/tutorial thing was kind of a pain to get through and didn't really help much. I'm guessing it'll just be a play and play and play and get used to it. I don't understand why my players don't run at all. Unless I call a play every player stands around, even when I'm passing all over the court. Very strange.

On another note, for anyone who is on the fence about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for the ps3, I highly recommend it. I played it for the first time last night after getting it for xmas. I spent a solid 3-4 hours playing before going to bed. It looks fantastic and the gameplay is a lot of fun. I give it a 9/10.

i got uncharted and played it a lot the first few days. I have a feeling once you beat it, it will start collecting dust. Probably a better game to rent. It was fun though.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
So my 360 is starting to have disc read errors. What makes it bad is it doesn't happen right away, but during a game. I was in the 4th quarter of an NBA game, and it got the error. I know its not the game either, because it did it with the version I rented, and when I just bought the game( different disc) it did the same thing.

Any suggestions? (Not buy a PS3)

Try taking the disc out before you play. EA games are the only ones to ever freeze on me, but it always works if insert the disc before I play it (rather than turning on the xbox and having the game already in there).

PS3's 2008 line-up is awesomely awesome. Wii has 2 AAA games, not too much else. 360 has...yeah?

And EGM Feb.:

"News/Info:

Red Steel 2 apparently being handed to another developer because it's not going well. Online co-op and release in 2008 likely.

Resistance 2 to start with a bang. Vehicles in multiplayer.

Treyarch developing CoD5. World War 2 again.

Animal Crossing Wii to be a sequel and possibly a MMO.

Gears of War 2 will have much more emphasis on story and it will be darker.

Rumors:

4 Guitar Hero sequels out in 2008 (Guitar Hero 4, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, and 2 others)

Microsoft canceled an XBLA release of Goldeneye 007 at the last minute

Sony teaming up with a major japanese publisher to remake old games for PSN

Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console

Persona 3: FES coming stateside, Next SMT title on PS3

Skateboarding game for Wii Balance Board in the works

Sin City game released in 2009

Reviews:

Burnout Paradise - 9, 9, 9 GameOTM

The Good: Fast, Fun, and Addictive open world gameplay

The Bad: Showtime isn't a worthy substitute for crash mode

NFL Tour - 3, 4, 3.5 ShameOTM

The Good: The reversal system

The Bad: Where's the D?

PS3 version runs considerably slower

Harvey Birdman - 5.5, 7, 5

The Good: Feels like a harvey birdman episode

The Bad: ....a somewhat unfunny episode

Samurai Warriors: Katana - 4.5, 3.5, 3

The Good: Once you get a gun and spear equipped

The Bad: Motion Control for some weapons, unskippable cut-scenes

Unreal Tournament 3 - 8, 8.5, 8

The Good: Frantic multiplayer, user mods, visuals

The Bad: Lame offline story mode

Kingdom Under Fire: COD - 3, 4, 4

The Good: Mildy engaging online co-op

The Bad: it's an absolute bore to play

Culdcept Saga - 8, 7.5, 8

The Good: Unique, addicting, sensibly priced

The Bad: Playing a 2 hour game only to lose

Nanostray 2 - 6.5, 6, 5

The Good: Looks good, few gimmicks

The Bad: Ridiculous continue system

Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 5.5, 6, 6.5

The Good: Variety in levels and gameplay

The Bad: infuriating on foot levels, multiplayer"

Ok, so I got a 360 for Christmas. So far I have Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Forza (both came with the system), Mass Effect (love it) and just picked up Halo 3. Any suggestions on what else to pick up? I'll probably be looking for a sports game soon. All suggestions welcome.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Ok, so I got a 360 for Christmas. So far I have Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Forza (both came with the system), Mass Effect (love it) and just picked up Halo 3. Any suggestions on what else to pick up? I'll probably be looking for a sports game soon. All suggestions welcome.

the EA sports NHL series is the ones I have the most fun with and play the longest. The 360 graphics are amazing.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)

CoD4 and NCAA Football 08, and the EA NHL games are ridiculous!

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)

You're pretty much set IMO. Get Call of Duty 4, but only after you play Halo since CoD4 is so much better.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
the EA sports NHL series is the ones I have the most fun with and play the longest. The 360 graphics are amazing.

Halo is best used with XBox Live, so get that.

You might want to do what I did, and sell the marvel/forza game on ebay and get something you truly want. I am a huge hockey fan, and found myself disappointed with NHL bc though the graphics are amazing, you can't really tell during actual gameplay bc the only playable camera angle (classic ice) is just too far out there. I used the amount I got from NHL 08 on eBay to get Halo 3.

I was quite disappointed in NHL 08, simply because if I have a next-gen console, I want to feel like I am playing a next-gen game at ALL TIMES.

NBA 2k8 is a must. It's like watching a real game (at least in HD, anyway), and controls are a blast too.

Halo 3... with XBox Live is the single best XBox 360 experience.

BioShock (you'll never play another game like this, graphics/story/gameplay all a blast)

Those are the three musts in my opinion. I hear CoD 4 is a renter bc the online doesnt compare to Halo 3 and the single player is one that can be completed in 10 hours. I sold my Marvel Alliance and Forza on eBay for around $30 and used that to get Tiger Woods 07 (rated better than 08 anyway, and looks like an orgasm), bc you just gotta have a good looking golf game.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Alright, update and new question.

-Called Microsoft, told me to delete my saves for NBA 2k8(game I have been having problems with, had problems with 2 different copies) and that should help. They also had me clear out my cache. Played a few more games, and sure enough, same thing is happening. They told me if I still had a problem, call them back, and I would have to send it in.

Here is the problem. I only had the 1 year warranty, and apparently 360 only extended the warranty to the 3 red lights, not anything else. So do I pay the $99 bucks they want me to pay? Is there any way around this?

You'll just have to pay it with only having the one-year warranty... unless you can somehow get those lights to turn on (though i dont know if that would mean theyd fix your other issue too)

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
You'll just have to pay it with only having the one-year warranty... unless you can somehow get those lights to turn on (though i dont know if that would mean theyd fix your other issue too)

the thing with the red lights is you call microsoft they send you a box you put your 360 in it you send it in and they send you back a xbox that they already fixed with the red light problem .. kind of scummy but i have had my 360 for a year and a half no problems .. god forbid

as long as this is the game thread

NHL rocks have had it since late november, but its sick

Edited by JFields27

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
i got uncharted and played it a lot the first few days. I have a feeling once you beat it, it will start collecting dust. Probably a better game to rent. It was fun though.

Yeah, I beat it a few weeks ago and haven't played it since, but seriously, what do you expect for $60? I played the game for about 12 hours and won it, and I am sure I will go back and play it a bit more after a few months. I figure for 12 hours of entertainment like that, $60 is worth it. Far more worth it then the 8 seconds it would take me to lose that in blackjack or the one evening it would take me to drink that in the bar...

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
the thing with the red lights is you call microsoft they send you a box you put your 360 in it you send it in and they send you back a xbox that they already fixed with the red light problem

Do they transfer the game saves and live account and everything from the harddrive? my buddy got his back with all that in-tact so I think that might be false information.

I'm fine though, I've got my 3 year warranty and if I havent seen those lights by November 2010 well, I'm going to Best Buy to make my change regardless.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Do they transfer the game saves and live account and everything from the harddrive? my buddy got his back with all that in-tact so I think that might be false information.

I'm fine though, I've got my 3 year warranty and if I havent seen those lights by November 2010 well, I'm going to Best Buy to make my change regardless.

You keep the hard drive, all you send is the console. And to Tony from what I was told when I had to send mine in was that the 3 year warranty covers anything. I didn't have the red lights and mine was taken care of no problem.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
You keep the hard drive, all you send is the console. And to Tony from what I was told when I had to send mine in was that the 3 year warranty covers anything. I didn't have the red lights and mine was taken care of no problem.

best 70 bucks spent ever.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Halo is best used with XBox Live, so get that.

You might want to do what I did, and sell the marvel/forza game on ebay and get something you truly want. I am a huge hockey fan, and found myself disappointed with NHL bc though the graphics are amazing, you can't really tell during actual gameplay bc the only playable camera angle (classic ice) is just too far out there. I used the amount I got from NHL 08 on eBay to get Halo 3.

I was quite disappointed in NHL 08, simply because if I have a next-gen console, I want to feel like I am playing a next-gen game at ALL TIMES.

NBA 2k8 is a must. It's like watching a real game (at least in HD, anyway), and controls are a blast too.

Halo 3... with XBox Live is the single best XBox 360 experience.

BioShock (you'll never play another game like this, graphics/story/gameplay all a blast)

Those are the three musts in my opinion. I hear CoD 4 is a renter bc the online doesnt compare to Halo 3 and the single player is one that can be completed in 10 hours. I sold my Marvel Alliance and Forza on eBay for around $30 and used that to get Tiger Woods 07 (rated better than 08 anyway, and looks like an orgasm), bc you just gotta have a good looking golf game.

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. It's the exact opposite, Halo 3 online is good for about a week until you realize it is halo 2 with better graphics, and then your bored. CoD4's online play is a much more enjoyable experience.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
What was the issue you were having?

Different games would do different things. When playing Madden my players would literally be big cubes on the field, Guitar Hero would look like it was being taken over by a fog machine, and dvd's would play audio perfectly fine but with a pixelated picture.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
So you called Microsoft, told them that, and what did they tell you? Sorry, I just want to be prepared on the phone, because the last thing I want/need right now is a 100 dollar charge to fix an X-Box.

I told them that my games were unplayable and they asked if the system was registered, serial number, etc. Then they send you a box to put it in, you drop it off at a UPS store and the work is done.

If it helps i've had people tell me that they've just told Microsoft that they've gotten the red lights even though it was another problem, and they had no problems. So take it for what it's worth.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
I told them that my games were unplayable and they asked if the system was registered, serial number, etc. Then they send you a box to put it in, you drop it off at a UPS store and the work is done.

If it helps i've had people tell me that they've just told Microsoft that they've gotten the red lights even though it was another problem, and they had no problems. So take it for what it's worth.

Hey tony, now that I've read this you won't have a problem. Just call, tell them your XBox stopped working, and keep your harddrive. For some reason I didnt know we could take our harddrives out (even though they sell them without so OBVIOUSLY you can!)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
Thats what I think the plan is going to be. Just send them the shell with the disc drive still in it, tell them the disc drive has been f***ed for a while, and now the red lights are coming on, and see where it gets me. The worst thing that can happen is they tell me they can't fix it, and I have to pay the $99. It would basically put me in the same spot I am in now, right?

I wouldn't say anything like that... I'd just be vague and tell them that it's not working. They do so many of these they'll have sent you a new one before they even diagnose the problem.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Call of Duty 4 may be the best console online shooter to date. It blows Halo 3's out of the water, and almost everything I've read says the same.

As long as you ignore IGN, the most respected gaming Website out there, which rated Halo 3 higher.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
Thats what I think the plan is going to be. Just send them the shell with the disc drive still in it, tell them the disc drive has been f***ed for a while, and now the red lights are coming on, and see where it gets me. The worst thing that can happen is they tell me they can't fix it, and I have to pay the $99. It would basically put me in the same spot I am in now, right?

Just be prepared to be without an xbox for a few weeks, the system you'll get back won't be your own. I believe they're other systems that have been fixed.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
As long as you ignore IGN, the most respected gaming Website out there, which rated Halo 3 higher.

IGN is the site i use, but the only reason CoD4 is rated lower is because of online Co-op Campaign, and split screen multiplayer online. I'll take my full-screen in HD thank you.