Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MLB 2k8 seems really choppy to me, like frame rate issues. I love the new fielding and pitching though. If I had a PS3, I'm sure I'd try to show, but this is what I'm stuck with (and that's fine with me, I don't absolutely hate the game).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
MLB Power Pros if you like playing games with your friends. It's not a game you should buy if you're a big "dynasty" or "franchise" person, but the controls are relatively easy to learn. It has the best baseball game-play -- IMO -- of any game since MVP 2005. It looks like a little kids' game -- and it may very well be -- but it's a fun game if you know you'll have some friends to battle with.

Super Smash Brothers will obviously be a 'must-buy' once that comes out.

I enjoyed the Tiger Woods game too, although I didn't buy the latest one.

And the Mario game is a must-buy as well, although I myself haven't purchased it.

Buehrle>Wood is usually the go-to guy when it comes to the Wii, so when he sees this I'm sure you'll get a much better and more info from him.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Multiplayer musts

Super Smash Bros Brawl(Actually, should have a notch single player too. It's Out Sunday, going to be teh best game evar. I'm going to the midnight launch because I'm a huge tool).

Super Mario Strikers Charged(Online is ridiculously fun, as is playing with a friend or 3)

Guitar Hero 3(If you have either a PS3 or 360, I would suggest that version, as it has downloadable content, which the Wii version does not feature)

Single Player musts

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Super Mario Galaxy(Currently the 2nd best reviewed game ever)

Resdient Evil 4(Should be on the cheap, >25$)

Some other solid games you might want to look at: MLB Power Pros, Madden(If you don't have another system), Rayman Raving Rabbids(another fun multiplayer game).

Thank you. I'm going to pick up a couple games tomorrow, probably Super Mario Galaxy and MLB Power Pros. That should hold me over for a while.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
What type of games do you like?

Over the last 3 years or so I haven't really been into video games, hell I wouldn't be all that interested in Wii if I hadn't gotten it for free. Since my 17th birthday I've really only played 3 games frequently; SOCOM I/II (bordered on addiction for a while there), GTA San Andreas and MVP '05 so I don't have much of a preference. I can find entertainment in any well made game, it really doesn't matter what genre.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Thank you. I'm going to pick up a couple games tomorrow, probably Super Mario Galaxy and MLB Power Pros. That should hold me over for a while.

Over the last 3 years or so I haven't really been into video games, hell I wouldn't be all that interested in Wii if I hadn't gotten it for free. Since my 17th birthday I've really only played 3 games frequently; SOCOM I/II (bordered on addiction for a while there), GTA San Andreas and MVP '05 so I don't have much of a preference. I can find entertainment in any well made game, it really doesn't matter what genre.

I found Power Pros to be ridiculously easy, albeit it was a fun game. I started a season for the White Sox, and by the end of April I had 3 players with 40+ homeruns and the entire team batting over .450. The game is a port, so it doesnt maximize the Wiimote, its really just a jazzed up version of RBI baseball to me. But like i said, it was pretty fun.

Battallion Wars is something I have been meaning to check out recently, the way it was explained to me it is sort of like Worms, a warfare game with a sense of humor.

We got Rampage: total destruction and the we love it, Super Mario Galaxy is awesome on so many different levels. I have been renting a lot of games to feel out what I like.

Im really looking forward to the Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones games that are coming out, I really liked the complete Lego Star Wars game.

f*** this. After reading a bazillion awful reviews of MLB 2k8 online, I'm taking mine back (haven't opened it yet) and using the cash for a GTA IV pre-order.

If they can't put out a worthwhile baseball game, f*** it, I hope the Sox don't suck this year!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
f*** this. After reading a bazillion awful reviews of MLB 2k8 online, I'm taking mine back (haven't opened it yet) and using the cash for a GTA IV pre-order.

If they can't put out a worthwhile baseball game, f*** it, I hope the Sox don't suck this year!

LOL, thats awesome. Taking the game back before you even opened it

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
LOL, thats awesome. Taking the game back before you even opened it

Well, you can't really take it back after you open it! It's a calculated move based on the reviews being about 90% negative.

I said "what the hell" and picked it up because its the only option, but after reading the framerate issues alone, I refuse to drop $64.04 on an unfinished product just because its the only option.

Seriously, NFL 2k > Madden, MVP > MLB 2k... this couldn't have gone any worse, and I'm sick of it.

I guarantee I feel much better about exchanging MLB 2k8 for GTA IV pre-order than I would about opening that, from all accounts I've heard, piece of s*** game.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
Well, you can't really take it back after you open it! It's a calculated move based on the reviews being about 90% negative.

I said "what the hell" and picked it up because its the only option, but after reading the framerate issues alone, I refuse to drop $64.04 on an unfinished product just because its the only option.

Seriously, NFL 2k > Madden, MVP > MLB 2k... this couldn't have gone any worse, and I'm sick of it.

I guarantee I feel much better about exchanging MLB 2k8 for GTA IV pre-order than I would about opening that, from all accounts I've heard, piece of s*** game.

I dont blame you one bit. Nobody on this thread has given it glowing reviews either

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
um. please elaborate.

The players movements in the field are very jumpy, not a natural fluid look or feel. The new precision (or whatver it's called) pitching, fielding and hitting are really annoying. This might just be because I'm not use to it yet, but I still prefer the 'old-fashion' way. The camera angles a crappy, the play often outruns the camera angle as outs are at time recorded off the screen. I also don't like the lame 'jersey blowing in the wind' graphic. what, are they playing in a hurricane half the time?

But I'm not giving up on it yet. We'll see, maybe after I play it for a while it will grow on me.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Can anyone explain how to pitch in MLB 08 The Show? I can't seem to figure it out and the booklet doesn't explain it for crap. There is some pitching meter that is not even addressed in the booklet...

I've got a similiar or maybe the same issue regarding the pitching. Sometimes i'll hit the perfect 3rd click spot and the ball still goes 2 feet from where I had the pitch meter icon locked in. I don't get it.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
I've got a similiar or maybe the same issue regarding the pitching. Sometimes i'll hit the perfect 3rd click spot and the ball still goes 2 feet from where I had the pitch meter icon locked in. I don't get it.

Well, I think I've got it figured out....just click it twice.....once to start it, and once where the line occurs...or if it doesn't (when your guy is getting whacked around), in the light blue color (around where the line would occur normally). At least this way they throw strikes.

I just played a game that way and it was a blast! Although I take some issue with how players are rated in the game, (Fields, Quentin), it's a pretty sweet game! I wish the fielders didn't practically field for you, but it is very fun.

And the graphics are AMAZING. I would definitely recommend MLB 08' The Show to everyone with a PS3.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
2k8 is the s***. I don't see how a better game could be made.

I like 2K8 but i just feel 2K7 was a better, more fun game. In 2K8, layups and "easy" shots are missed waaayyy too often. Yes i know there are sliders but i feel 2K7 was more realistic. Also, the controls of players was easier in my opinion. It was easier to get to the hole and get around guys, now if you move slightly another way the guy like does a pause/stutter/reverse of direction. Graphically yes its better...but as far as gameplay, i just feel 2K7 was slightly better.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I like 2K8 but i just feel 2K7 was a better, more fun game. In 2K8, layups and "easy" shots are missed waaayyy too often. Yes i know there are sliders but i feel 2K7 was more realistic. Also, the controls of players was easier in my opinion. It was easier to get to the hole and get around guys, now if you move slightly another way the guy like does a pause/stutter/reverse of direction. Graphically yes its better...but as far as gameplay, i just feel 2K7 was slightly better.

Hmm, I've had no issues with gameplay, and though IGN eludes to too many missed layups, I really haven't seen that as an issue. I think all in all, the game might be the best sports game I've played.

Just my opinion though.