Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
That's the only game I will miss on the 360.

Has anyone played MLB Power Pros 2008 for the Wii?

I played the previous PS2 port, and it was extremely easy. I havent played the new one, but from what I am told it is pretty much the same.

Its fun, but there is really no effort to it. Its like oldschool RBI baseball, once you get the timing down its over

BTW a word of advice to anybody who hasn't reached the end of the main storyline in Fallout 3 - if you want to do other things in the game before beating it, know that the game abruptly ends, with little warning. The farthest you can go in the storyline is "The American Dream" before you get to the point of no return, so stop there if you want to do other stuff in the game. Actually you can start that quest, just don't go to finish it because it basically rolls right into the next one when you do.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
BTW a word of advice to anybody who hasn't reached the end of the main storyline in Fallout 3 - if you want to do other things in the game before beating it, know that the game abruptly ends, with little warning. The farthest you can go in the storyline is "The American Dream" before you get to the point of no return, so stop there if you want to do other stuff in the game. Actually you can start that quest, just don't go to finish it because it basically rolls right into the next one when you do.

Good tip. I knew about this from a friend and so I barely touched the main quest. Be aware that going to certain locations (Rivet City, Vault 87) ahead of time can also jump the main storyline ahead by a quest or two. I just finished up all of the side quests last night and still have a bit of exploring to do before moving on to the main quest. I did the same thing in Oblivion but lost interested after raiding the 100th same cavern/ ruins.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
That's the only game I will miss on the 360.

Has anyone played MLB Power Pros 2008 for the Wii?

Yeah I have.

It's pretty good, apparently not much has changed from 2007, but it's pretty good fun.

Hard for beginners though, and I find it hard to move the fielders correctly with my nunchuck occasionally.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
I dont know how many of you purchase WiiWare games, but I bought World of Goo last night and it is a total blast, a really fun little puzzle game

I'm picking up the newer Wario Ware game this afternoon for a mini party I'm having tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
I'm picking up the newer Wario Ware game this afternoon for a mini party I'm having tomorrow night.

You might want to grab Mario Party 8 AND Wario Ware and give them both a test drive. I have always liked the Mario Party games, but conversely I have always thought the Wario Ware games have sucked. Mostly because all of the mini games seem like crappy DS ports

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
You might want to grab Mario Party 8 AND Wario Ware and give them both a test drive. I have always liked the Mario Party games, but conversely I have always thought the Wario Ware games have sucked. Mostly because all of the mini games seem like crappy DS ports

The mini games might suck, but my buddy who is coming over says he played it and it's hilarious. Plus, Wario Ware is $10.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
The mini games might suck, but my buddy who is coming over says he played it and it's hilarious. Plus, Wario Ware is $10.

Cant argue with that. Go crazy.

Although there may be a good reason why its only 10 bucks ;)

I really like the Wii and all, but I really feel like Nintendo sold out, literally. Don't get me wrong, what they did was f***ing brilliant and all, but I just feel like I'm a peripheral to their target audience anymore. Their audience is obviously non-gamers and casual gamers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
I really like the Wii and all, but I really feel like Nintendo sold out, literally. Don't get me wrong, what they did was f***ing brilliant and all, but I just feel like I'm a peripheral to their target audience anymore. Their audience is obviously non-gamers and casual gamers.

I dont know about that. The way I look at it, they are looking directly at me. Im far from the casual gamer, but I am also far from the hardcore gamer. I dont stay up all night playing COD and HALO, but I definitely put my time in playing games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and now I am downloading older games I used to love to play (Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Mario 1 and 3), as well as playing WiiWare games that are only available for download and are basically tester games.

as always, time will tell if they truly sold out, when we look back at what the system provided and how popular it really was.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
I dont know about that. The way I look at it, they are looking directly at me. Im far from the casual gamer, but I am also far from the hardcore gamer. I dont stay up all night playing COD and HALO, but I definitely put my time in playing games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and now I am downloading older games I used to love to play (Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Mario 1 and 3), as well as playing WiiWare games that are only available for download and are basically tester games.

as always, time will tell if they truly sold out, when we look back at what the system provided and how popular it really was.

Everybody's gonna see it different of course, but there are only a handful of games on Nintendo that I actually care about anymore, and it's the same old ones I've always liked, nothing new. It's great to play with kids, its fun to go back to the days when it was all about the gameplay too. But to be honest, I don't think waving a remote around in the air, in and of itself, isn't all that cool after a while. There's a ton of shovelware games or crappy ports on the Wii that do exactly that, it's like the days of the NES all over again where games are pushed out just to make a buck real fast. And sometimes it's like they really just half-ass the inclusion of the Wii remote into the game just to say they did it - Mario Party 8 for example. That was basically a Gamecube game. In fact the Wii is basically a Gamecube with innovative controls.

Now, I understand that Nintendo is capitalizing on the fact that gamers don't want to take out a second mortgage every 5 years to basically buy a new computer, but graphics pretty much do matter when the difference is THAT big. I play Mario Kart, and it's fun as hell. But at the same time I have a need to play games like Fallout 3 that the Wii could never hope to run.

The thing is though that the Wii isn't really all that affordable compared to the other systems. Sure the base unit is $250, but add in at least one extra pair of controllers (a necessity almost...probably need more than one extra pair if you plan on utilizing the party game thing) and a charger (which is a must have) and you're up to 330-340 plus tax. That's the cost of a 360. $50 bucks more and you've got a nice ps3 with a blu-ray player.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
The thing is though that the Wii isn't really all that affordable compared to the other systems. Sure the base unit is $250, but add in at least one extra pair of controllers (a necessity almost...probably need more than one extra pair if you plan on utilizing the party game thing) and a charger (which is a must have) and you're up to 330-340 plus tax. That's the cost of a 360. $50 bucks more and you've got a nice ps3 with a blu-ray player.

So I guess you don't need extra controllers for the 360? What if you want to get on X-Box Live? Well, there's $50/year, while online for Wii is free. What if you want to do so wirelessly? Well, there's another $100 for the wireless receiver, something Wii automatically does. I don't know about the PS2, but the Xbox wireless controller needs a charger or an ass-load of batteries. A lot of your points don't make much sense.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
Mario Party 8 IGN rating: 5.4

Wario Ware IGN rating: 8.3

MP8 is only rated that way because of the whoring of the series and a refuse to innovatee. I haven't actually played it but from my experience 7 was every bit as fun as one and every other one in between.

Still, WarioWare is one of the best new IPs created over the past ten years. I just don't get it's purpose on consoles.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
MP8 is only rated that way because of the whoring of the series and a refuse to innovatee. I haven't actually played it but from my experience 7 was every bit as fun as one and every other one in between.

Still, WarioWare is one of the best new IPs created over the past ten years. I just don't get it's purpose on consoles.

I agree. If you want to play Mario Party, just buy any one of them. They're all the same game. I ended up taking MP8 back after about a month.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
So I guess you don't need extra controllers for the 360? What if you want to get on X-Box Live? Well, there's $50/year, while online for Wii is free. What if you want to do so wirelessly? Well, there's another $100 for the wireless receiver, something Wii automatically does. I don't know about the PS2, but the Xbox wireless controller needs a charger or an ass-load of batteries. A lot of your points don't make much sense.

I'm saying if you're buying for the intended purposes of the machine. An extra 360 controller isn't a necessity, nor is an extra ps3 one (but you can get a 360 pro with an extra controller, wireless charger and 2 games for $330 at sams club or costco). Yeah, xbox live is an additional cost, I'll grant you that. But the Wii online is nothing in comparison. VC is good, Mario Kart is ok, but it's all very limited. PS3 controller requires no batteries.

I guess I'm just saying there's not a HUGE difference. Once you add in all of the components it's all about equal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm saying if you're buying for the intended purposes of the machine. An extra 360 controller isn't a necessity, nor is an extra ps3 one (but you can get a 360 pro with an extra controller, wireless charger and 2 games for $330 at sams club or costco). Yeah, xbox live is an additional cost, I'll grant you that. But the Wii online is nothing in comparison. VC is good, Mario Kart is ok, but it's all very limited. PS3 controller requires no batteries.

I guess I'm just saying there's not a HUGE difference. Once you add in all of the components it's all about equal.

I'll give you that.