Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I kind of agree with you both, Nintendo's current formula is obviously VERY successful business-wise, and I'm sure they want to widen their market share, but at the same time, they don't really need to. They're in kind of an odd position where they don't compete directly with their competition. But that's not saying they can't be doing more - there's plenty of "fun for everyone" type of games, but they can also be drawing in the more traditional gamers with traditional quality games.

On the other hand, if you're a 3rd party developer who wants to produce a game like that - why would you do it on the Wii when you can make the game much better, and probably easier, for the Xbox or PS3?

Makes sense to me. For instance, I can't imagine the Final Fantasy series or Metal Gear series or even Halo series being successful on the Wii. The hardware that is needed just isn't there.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get GameInformer magazine, and in their monthly "the good, the bad and the ugly" section they have this quote under UGLY

Ghostbuster and The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena both found homes on Atari. Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said these former Vivendi titles were dropped because they "(didn't) have the potential to be exploited every year....". Another Castoff, World in Conflict developer Massive Entertainment was acquired by Ubisoft

I have read nothing but good things about Ghostbusters for all three platforms, I dont know what Atari was thinking. I never played it, but I heard The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is a pretty cool game as well.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 03:53 AM)
And book it, I will always poke fun at you for having a Wii. :)

yeah yeah

Edited by kyyle23

The Dreamcast was awesome. Underrated... the first time I turned on NFL 2k on that system, I knew I was witnessing the next wave of video games. The players left tracks in the snow, you could see their breath.

I still say the 2k series was way better than Madden. EA taking football and losing baseball killed my two favorite sports franchises (NFL 2k/MVP Baseball).

I haven't found games I'm entirely happy with since. Those f***ing MLB 2k games are beyond fixable at this point, while MVP had PERFECT gameplay in 2005. It's a f***ing shame, I can only imagine how great MVP Baseball 2009 would be on any of the newer generation systems.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 03:53 AM)
I doubt they will. They're following the same strategy they always have. For once, it's working and they're dominating the field. The only thing they have to worry about is whether Sony pulls their heads from their asses and drops the price of the PS3 and starts marketing that it's a gaming system, not just a bluray player--which even then, I doubt is enough for Sony to get back on top. The Wii is a marvel to the masses, and as much as I think it's a trash system, Sony nor Microsoft have what it takes in their current systems to overtake it.

Though, the best thing to come from the Wii is proof that gaming isn't about graphics, it's about gameplay. But even so, the Wii simply isn't built to harbor "deep" games.

See this is what I am talking about in regards to coming out with games in 2009 that havent been typical for the Wii

http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936938p7.html

Wii's 2009 is on track to be spectacular from the beginning of the year on. In the first week of January, the anticipated Japanese RPG / simulation Little King's Story, with a beautiful art style, is set to debut for the system. The moody action game Deadly Creatures, starring a tarantula and a scorpion, releases a month later. There's also Tenchu: Shadow Assassins from Ubisoft. And the release schedule never really slows down. In the first half of 2009, Wii owners will be treated to a series of big guns, including the console-exclusive first-person shooter, The Conduit, from High Voltage Software. The gorgeous technical showpiece boasts some of the best FPS controls of any console title in the genre and it also supports WiiSpeak for voice-chat-enabled online matches with up to 16 players.

Not to be outdone, Platinum Games (formerly Clover Studio, best known for Okami and Viewtiful Joe) will in the first quarter release MadWorld for Nintendo's system. The title, also published by SEGA, is overrun with some of the bloodiest violence in any videogame we've played. As burly main character Jack struggles to escape a futuristic, Running Man-like game show called Death Watch, he stabs sign posts through the heads of his enemies, chainsaws leather-bound baddies in half and even plays Man Darts with them -- batting them into a giant virtual dartboard with gory splats. MadWorld has been the subject of much controversy since its unveiling and while we have yet to even go hands-on with the title, we are extremely optimistic that the talented development studio has a AAA effort on its hands.

SEGA rounds out its TKO lineup with the early-year release of House of the Dead: Overkill by Kuju Entertainment (Battalion Wars). The ground-up title makes use of the Wii remote for some classic-style shooting action. Players control Agent G through a grindhouse-style presentation as he teams with the hard-boiled Detective Washington in a prequel to the first thee House of the Dead games. Drowned in zombies, blood, bullets and F-bombs, Overkill is not for the squeamish and the developer knows it -- a trailer for the game proudly announces, "... the hardcore you've been waiting for." Based on what we've played of the game so far, it's incredibly stylized, hilarious, painted in gore and great fun, especially with dual Wii remotes in hands.

Wii owners can look forward to some exciting announcements from third-parties like Electronic Arts, Konami and Ubisoft. We know of at least two major EA and Konami IPs that Wii fans are going to flip over when they become official and Ubisoft has titles like Red Steel 2 in the works, not to mention previously unknown efforts like TMNT, which are sure to satisfy the hardcore. And rest assured, Capcom will have some unexpected big guns of its own. Trust us when we write that Wii owners will not be disappointed.

During the first half of the year, Nintendo has officially committed to releasing at last two major products, including Wii Sports Resort, which will in turn signal the arrival of Wii MotionPlus. The game is a sequel to Wii Sports with some new play styles -- jet skiing, frisbee toss, sword dueling and more. But it's really a showpiece for Wii MotionPlus, just as Wii Sports was for the Wii remote. MotionPlus fixes any issues gamers might've encountered with gestural input using Nintendo's controller. Utilizing the new tech, subtler, intricate motions are measured with perfect precision, making possible accurate sword fights, among other activities. The other game, Punch-Out!!, should be familiar to any longtime fan -- it's an official sequel to the boxing game starring Little Mac. Developed by Next Level Games (Mario Strikers), the title will feature a classic presentation highlighted by dramatically updated graphics. Whether or not the developer wii make it all work with motions has yet to be revealed, but we're excited regardless.

Nintendo has not yet officially confirmed, but is expected to solidify U.S. release dates for Sin & Punishment 2, a sequel to the N64 shooter and cult-hit developed by Treasure; Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, the Wii-exclusive entry into the spooky series which challenges players to photograph ghosts; and Disaster: Day of Crisis, which has already shipped in other regions. And all of the still-obscure-but-potentially-awesome Wii games announced out of Japan, such as Cosmic Walker. There are nearly a dozen intriguing Wii games, most of them only shown briefly in video form and very few details available.

There is plenty in there to be excited about that isnt Petz and DDR and crap like that. And in the IGN year end review, they definitely take Nintendo to task for dragging their feet in 2008, but at the same time point out that they really didnt need to do anything given the success of the major releases of the year(MarioKart, Wii Fit, Smash Bros, Okami)

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
The Dreamcast was awesome. Underrated... the first time I turned on NFL 2k on that system, I knew I was witnessing the next wave of video games. The players left tracks in the snow, you could see their breath.

I still say the 2k series was way better than Madden. EA taking football and losing baseball killed my two favorite sports franchises (NFL 2k/MVP Baseball).

I haven't found games I'm entirely happy with since. Those f***ing MLB 2k games are beyond fixable at this point, while MVP had PERFECT gameplay in 2005. It's a f***ing shame, I can only imagine how great MVP Baseball 2009 would be on any of the newer generation systems.

I was one of the unlucky (or chosen few?) that bought a Dreamcast. While the system was great for its time, it just didn't have the quality games to back it up.

As far as the baseball games, mvp 05 was the best IMO, but I gotta say that 08 The Show has made me forget about it. While it's not perfect, it's close. Certainly the best since.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
NHL 09 or NHL 2k9? I am going to get one of them, which one? I am leaning toward NHL 09 because of Be a Pro mode and I have seen it rated higher online. But what are your guys' opinions?

NHL 09 no question.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
It isn't even close. NHL 09 is one of the best sports games in the last 10 years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
NHL 09 no question.

Haha, thanks guys. Definitely makes this an easy decision. One I want, great reviews online and you guys give it many thumbs up. Dunzo. Can't wait to waste hours on this game. I have NCAA Football 09, but its too easy now for me, sadly, that is how much I play. In Heisman mode, I still score like 70 every game against good teams, too.

There's a new TMNT game from a collaboration dev team of the Smash Brothers Brawl team and team Ninja(Ninja Gaiden, Dead or alive). Here's some copy pasta

New TMNT Wii game - more details

December 10th, 2008

-published by Ubisoft

-official development started Jan. 2008

-concept started Oct. 2007

-to be released in Sept. 2009

-2.5D Fighter

-Interactive Stages

-4 player versus

-Story Mode

-Battle Royal

-Tournament

-Winner Stays

-Loser Stays

-Practice

-Unlockable Characters

-Unlockable Stages

-Online aspects said to be better than Brawl implementation

-Each character is color coded with glowing effect to make 4-player battles easy to follow

Sounds a lot like Smash I think. Should be awesome.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
MLB '09:The Show, exclusive first look

I think with the additions and improvements made, this game will be awesome.....March 3rd can't come soon enough.

Franchise 2.0

Sony has added a lot of little details that the hard-core MLB fans have been shouting for, including salary arbitration

'Bout f***ing time.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
I was going to link it when I saw it, but decided against it.

It has the potential to be outstanding, but I have a feeling it's going to be one of franchises that takes a few years to get it right. Hopefully it doesn't die after year one.

I saw it had a 30 team on-line mode also, which could be quite interesting.

To be fair, I'm glad 2K Sports are doing it instead of EA Sports.

Hopefully it'll find a "niche" market.

Hooray for XBox 360 RRoD 6 days before Christmas!!

Look it up online: Your warranty expired 6/5/2008

GREAT!!

"You can send your XBox 360 in for us to look at and repair. Minimum cost: $94"

I don't think so...

$7 worth of machine screws and Nylon washers later, working XBox. Nice faulty design though Microsoft, bravo on the X Clamps.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
Hooray for XBox 360 RRoD 6 days before Christmas!!

Look it up online: Your warranty expired 6/5/2008

GREAT!!

"You can send your XBox 360 in for us to look at and repair. Minimum cost: $94"

I don't think so...

$7 worth of machine screws and Nylon washers later, working XBox. Nice faulty design though Microsoft, bravo on the X Clamps.

When did you buy your 360? The warranty is for 3 years, not 1 which is probably what they tell you online.

Although this is moot now, since you did the repairs yourself.